The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since it's a lengthy process, and it has to start on about day three of hang-drying, I am going to do some of each chop between now and when the first one is ready. That will definitely be the two remaining Sacred Lotus, so I'll have three cobs to compare with their plants by Christmas. But it might also be some of Heisens. Might be fun - might suck.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Since it's a lengthy process, and it has to start on about day three of hang-drying, I am going to do some of each chop between now and when the first one is ready. That will definitely be the two remaining Sacred Lotus, so I'll have three cobs to compare with their plants by Christmas. But it might also be some of Heisens. Might be fun - might suck.
My harvest won’t be til mid January, so I’ll be watching.
1603245482175.gif

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My harvest won’t be til mid January, so I’ll be watching.
View attachment 75954
I'm too impatient for that. two plants I had that went for over 100 days in flower almost killed me, and that was only vegging for a month.
Smaller pots now, more plants, quicker flips, drop some more. If I want a bunch of something I can take clones like I am doing. But for the most part I am trying things for the first time. Get-r-dun and then drop a few more later if I really dig it. - then clone stuff.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@Old ST1R I am getting into this enough to start having some favorites. I am taking the Sacred Lotus and Dank Sinatra on faith that it's something I'll want a lot of - but I don't think I'll be disappointed :cool:

I get between a quart and a half gallon from each plant like I am doing now. And by the time I get through that I know if it is something I would like to keep in the cupboard.

Like on this drop I have two of the 3HDxLBF, and 2 Momma Moonshine. I am almost out of both and love them. 4th Gear was going to be re-dropped as well, but I have a new cross instead. If I get a girl, it will still only be a 3 gallon, flipped at 4-5 weeks so I know what I have - then flower-clone the girl(s) if I get them.

After this run I'll be running all new stuff for a while without taking any clones - so more beans.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Something unexpected that the dark period did was weaken the fan-leaf stems - I trimmed the entire plant with no scissors. Just plucking leaves with gloves.
Ended up with a 46g, 55g, 56g and 60g top on Sacred Lotus #2.IMG_0270.JPG
And if anyone else washes the buds (h2o2 x h2o) this saves a lot of peroxide over using a bucket or a big tub. Plastic bag lining a window-sill flower pot.
IMG_0273.JPG

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Something unexpected that the dark period did was weaken the fan-leaf stems - I trimmed the entire plant with no scissors. Just plucking leaves with gloves.
Ended up with a 46g, 55g, 56g and 60g top on Sacred Lotus #2.View attachment 76030
And if anyone else washes the buds (h2o2 x h2o) this saves a lot of peroxide over using a bucket or a big tub. Plastic bag lining a window-sill flower pot.
View attachment 76031
Good idea on the window sill flower pot! One could also utilize one of those wallpaper wetting tubs.

Question - Why do you wash your indoor Bud?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Quick update, then I'll be harvesting during the debate. Only thing of note is that one MM is double the size of the other - hoping that means one is a girl.
IMG_0287.JPG
Everything has been topped except the 4 little LB clones.
IMG_0283.JPG
Heisen+1 closet
IMG_0284.JPG
Haven't done a close-up on the Cheap Thrills for a bit since no one on here made it. Sturdy plant.
IMG_0285.JPG
But here's the big tent
IMG_0282.JPG
She's ready
IMG_0281.JPG
Lots of amber on the lower nugs.IMG_0278.JPGIMG_0275.JPG
And the tops are like frosted flakes IMG_0279.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Random notes on the SL grow.

I'll end up with about 5 oz from three plants in 5 gallon pots :unsure: Not a great average, but I know going in that I am sacrificing weight doing the 4 tops and short veg.

I spent maybe an hour trimming total for the three planbts - so there's that. The only larf I'll have is on the lower two nugs on each limb, and it'll be two little nugs under another fat nug.

I have pulled the same weight from 3-gallons. The plants had nice roots, but none were root-bound.

One conclusion is that doing 5 gallons is really a waste growing how I do. More soil, more nutes, more water/watering, less room for plants, etc. So I'll be setting the 5g pots aside until I get plants I intend to veg longer.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
IMG_0290.JPG
Repotted the seedlings today... I tried those little starter pots, mainly to save room, and because they fit in the tray nice.
Luckily I was checking to see if they were ready for water, and lifted one - 4" roots dangling out the bottom...
I was planning on repotting them sooner, but not this soon (7 days).

That said it went very smooth. roots slid back through the holes nice, nothing broke. But I didn't like the feeling that it could very easily. So that experiment is a fail. Mainly because of the holes in the pots, not the size. They could have easily gone another week if the roots stayed in the cup, but some were fanning out and getting that feather look to them so I dodn't even stop to get tthe camera.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
View attachment 76263
Repotted the seedlings today... I tried those little starter pots, mainly to save room, and because they fit in the tray nice.
Luckily I was checking to see if they were ready for water, and lifted one - 4" roots dangling out the bottom...
I was planning on repotting them sooner, but not this soon (7 days).

That said it went very smooth. roots slid back through the holes nice, nothing broke. But I didn't like the feeling that it could very easily. So that experiment is a fail. Mainly because of the holes in the pots, not the size. They could have easily gone another week if the roots stayed in the cup, but some were fanning out and getting that feather look to them so I dodn't even stop to get tthe camera.
They wouldn’t miss a beat even if the roots did break. When I had my bonsais in 3.5” pots, I would cut off at least half of the root mass and they didn’t care.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
They wouldn’t miss a beat even if the roots did break. When I had my bonsais in 3.5” pots, I would cut off at least half of the root mass and they didn’t care.
Yeah, my thing was wanting to use one light instead of two, one dome instead of two, worried about the heat in the domes in that small tent, etc.

What I was forgetting was that the small half-tent is basically a large dome. I can have the little fans moving air around but seal it up as needed to keep the rH up.

I have the veg-through-flower pretty dialed in now, I am leaning away from the dome except to get beans through the soil - where the amount of light doesn't matter - then ditch it/them.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have some updates to toss around on other pages, but I'll start here.
I got some pics while I had room. This is the last of the Sacred Lotus from clone.
IMG_0308.JPG
The Dank Sinatra
IMG_0309.JPG
But since I had room I flipped the regs (RIR/HQ) to get them sexed.
These are the first of my new system, if I don't get a girl they get re-dropped next drop.
IMG_0318.JPG

I 'culled' clones in here - meaning that the decision was made, but I haven't ditched them yet. I have room, so I am letting them drink the soil dry.
IMG_0333.JPG
In front are the three fems - not flipping them until they are 'ready'. I want them to get taller, and maybe start showing asymmetrical nodes popping. I'll start pruning some lower shoots. and training them. They are drinking normal so not worried about repotting them yet.
Left is the DS flower clones - keeping one, one gone for now.
Rear is the LB clones and flower clones, keeping one each.
Right are the DS regular clones. One is gone - might not keep either.
IMG_0319.JPG
And here is my teachy part. Disclaimer: this is what I do and how - do what you want... :cool:
The FFHF dry fertilizers (organic) have 5 different mixes, different combo's of each based on where the plants are in growth, and I use teaspoons where it calls for tablespoons per gallon of soil. So it is cost effective.
IMG_0322.JPG
The 'veg' combo is these two. I put a teaspoon of each around the top, then 'raked' the soil to break up the surface and mix it in.
The sports bottles are great for mixing up a large batch of water for a lot of little plants, then getting it divided up before it settles if there is any food mixed in. Handy other times too, but I got a mess of them for that purose.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Left Behind - very nice bud structure. uniform, well-combed pistils 🤪
IMG_0345.JPG
Dank Sinatra. A little leafy but those are frosty short bud-petals. Should plump up nice.
IMG_0347.JPG
My understanding is that this was a "what the hell - why not" cross. Hippie Crippler x Rosetta Stone
Stacking like a bitch now. There is a larfy look to it - until you look close. IMG_0341.JPG

Chunky calyxes have the pistils spread out, but there's meat on those bones ;)
IMG_0343.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The Purple Jelly Pie in the center is checking all my OCD boxes - very symmetrical :)
Nice shoots starting at every node around the bottom - all the same size.
The 2 Sangria Cookies are tight/vertical - will definitely need more training. I have the two lower shoots pulled out so the younger ones aren't shaded. But it'll be easier once they stretch a bit. If they were crazy tall I would be more worried about it - and they would be easiy to LST :unsure:
IMG_0348.JPG
Regular clone. One good shoot and one stubby one at each node. In my experience that trait will continue and i'll get two fat cola and two runts. That one is gone as well.
IMG_0349.JPG
Flower clone. One that is a maybe I just topped for two limbs. This one has 4, but because of the node spacing the tops are almost even with a little leaning. Everything on a flower clone will get fat.
IMG_0350.JPG
Here is the mess that has to be dealt with near the stem. @MtRainDog - this is what I meant
As soon as it's long enough to get scissors in they'll get naked for several nodes before I start leaving anything. IMG_0352.JPG
None of these seem to mind no-dome, and that's an assortment - life just got a little easier. IMG_0355.JPG