Grow Journal (novice) first grow

D

Deleted member 60

Just readin along (good show for a first grow). I see mention of venting into an attic.....

Just a head's up. Years ago I remember a guy doin this and thinking it was the shit....until...that is....Spring came.

Evidently all the humidity/moisture from all season FROZE on everything in the attic...unbeknownst to this grower....and when it warmed up outside.....the ice melted...,soaked his ceiling...and the fucker FELL IN....

So be wary/careful\/hesitant about doing that. Vent it UP AND OUT to the roof...not into the attic (if you live where it freezes...and maybe elsewhere because of MOLD)

Just a thought.

best of luck finishing things up!

PokerJay1983

Really Active Member
Just readin along (good show for a first grow). I see mention of venting into an attic.....

Just a head's up. Years ago I remember a guy doin this and thinking it was the shit....until...that is....Spring came.

Evidently all the humidity/moisture from all season FROZE on everything in the attic...unbeknownst to this grower....and when it warmed up outside.....the ice melted...,soaked his ceiling...and the fucker FELL IN....

So be wary/careful\/hesitant about doing that. Vent it UP AND OUT to the roof...not into the attic (if you live where it freezes...and maybe elsewhere because of MOLD)

Just a thought.

ty SG. My uncle is making me re rig the light so I will post updated pictures later

Heathenraider

Heathen Basterd
had a good buddy in town. It’s been 48 hours of poker, football, drinking and karaoke (scaryoke). So glad to see the hawks take them down. Still recovering.
That warm up top a page back or so is Ronnie Lester's from the 1980 NCAA final Four game against Louisville , My Grandpa was 2nd row behind the Iowa bench and I was next to Him and Lester threw it over the bench after warm ups on accident , ended up in my Grandpa's lap and He handed it too Me and Lute Olsen told Lester to let the kid Keep it , He told Me He would Autograph it after the game but He went down with a knee in first half and went to locker room and never returned. I had U of I offer me 5 grand for it for the Museum but told them NOOOOOO , I 'll pass it down or donate it . The football Jersey is Fred Barr's Orange Bowl game worn jersey ( USC) Game got at fan fest .

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
On the topic of exhausing, @PokerJay1983 - not sure if you have recessed lighting in there, but if you do you could remove one can, run an exhaust through that opening into the attic and have a carbon filter on either end of it. The air going into the attic would be scrubbed so no smell and all the heat from lighting would be taken up as well.
A word of caution on this - if you live somewhere where it is colder outside than inside, DO NOT DO THIS.

When the warm, moist air gets into a cold attic, the exhausted air quickly reaches its dew point and the moisture will condense in the attic, which could cause water staining, mold and rot issues.

@Pokerjay, looks like you’re in Canada?

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone

Just a thought.

Excellent advice!

I hadn’t seen this yet when I posted.

Ye beat me to it and bested me, good sir!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'll add to that - If you can get into your attic and run the flex-duct to a vent (eave or other) without restricting airflow you can prevent worries about the above. But since you are in either a FROG or finished attic, you can easily have the moisture build up they are talking about if you randomly vent air up there in an inaccessible space.

PokerJay1983

Really Active Member

Just a thought.

Redid the light so it’s not balancing from one D ring. Been training this morning, and trying to get my canopy level without having to super crop. I have another confirmed female (front left). That makes 3. Pretty sure the front right is male. I’m gonna give it 48 hours and then chuck it. Had to get rid of the 5th plant which was confirmed male and use to be in the purple pot.

ordered a watt meter, as well as a few fans which I’m going to be hanging from ceiling. Ordered some yoyo’s for support as well as more 3/8 inch x 48 dowry rods for training. 2934DC3D-7177-4C64-BECB-436A8B06C649.jpeg

Attachments

PokerJay1983

Really Active Member
K all 3 females are in 10 gallons. The two in the back are 4x snow lotus, and the one in front is raspberry hash. On day like 80 or so and 72 hours into flip. Everything went well on final transplant except I ran out of Dolomite. Probably going to setup the old blurple next 48 hours specifically for the one in front.

DA325865-1EC8-40D7-9D7C-8BEA6A885047.jpeg3FC4B5DF-561B-4B25-88F2-50A85B2637EC.jpeg

In reference to venting into the attic - my location allows that without any worry of excess moisture or that moisture subsequently freezing.

The alternative is still to get it into the attic and from there couple the vent/collar in the attic with more vent hose and then as mentioned can either be run over to a soffit vent (these are cheap and easy to install) or can be ported into an existing eave or roof vent. If you have a bathroom vent running up nearby you could dump into that - and no it wont't go back down into the bathroom vent.

Latest progress looking good @PokerJay1983 :)

PokerJay1983

Really Active Member
Day 82. 4 days into flower. First time super cropping. Had to use some tape on 2. Hated to wound the females. Played classical music for them while I smoked and watered them, but did not drown. Light is registering 427 watts on the wattmeter, and light is 24.5 inches above canopy. Humidity is reading 36% and temp ranging between 73-76 depending on light.

How else can I improve my grow?

A1A01E4A-4A62-4B09-812F-F273EC7D26CE.jpeg9B186F48-C4B2-4192-A502-F2A9DD2F2BE0.jpeg

Jewels

Bon~Fire
How else can I improve my grow?
Don't toss a plant until you can absolutely confirm that it is male. They are not dangerous , as they appear. Wait until you have a cluster of ball sacks. A female plant can look like a ball sack for some time and then suddenly sprout white pistol hairs. My eyes suck. Just confirm is all I'm saying.
Those environmental stats look like whole house stats.
From here on forward, everyone that you open your front door to will be able to smell those plants, will that be an issue?

You cannot smell it anymore , but everyone you come into contact with will smell them,,grocery store clerks, Banks, doctor's appointments Etc,,, will this be an issue?

This is an exciting time. I can see the lighter green centres of the budsites forming.
Did you re-hang the other light yet? Hit it with everything you have on hand.

Are you going to be changing up your feeding?

Only you can train yourself to water them. No one was there when you mixed up that soil. No one knows how big the holes are in the bottom of the pot. No one knows the granular size of the media and the speed or humidity of the air passing over it.

One thing that helped me fine-tune watering frequencies was to simply watch the bottom-most leaves. They will start to sag, before they point down, and eventually wilt. They need watering after sag, and before 'point down'.
I never water a pot without jerking it at arm's length. If it pops up- it needs water
If it sticks to the table- I leave it alone.
,,, you might be tougher than I am. :ROFLMAO:

Punisher84

Just some asshole
From here on forward, everyone that you open your front door to will be able to smell those plants, will that be an issue?

You cannot smell it anymore , but everyone you come into contact with will smell them,,grocery store clerks, Banks, doctor's appointments Etc,,, will this be an issue?

Wife got in her purse at work the day after we harvested trimmed plants. Smelled like there was a doob rolled up laying in her purse. Another reason why we’re getting it out of the house.