Grow Journal (novice) first grow

PokerJay1983

Really Active Member
Another thing about the tent idea . Those plants will most likely stink up the entire house. Not sure if that is a concern or not. Also like mentioned before easier to control a small environment than a big room @PokerJay1983 can you take a shot with the lights off. I see something going on on your leaves but hard to tell with the light on.
yes as soon as I get home around 2; I’ll get new shots. I noticed that this morning. Some slight discoloration on the inside of the leaves. Also mind you the 2 new plants were lacking water when I got them and some of the leaves were wilted.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I’ll be honest, I don’t like the tents. If it’s an issue of lack of light penetrating than I’d rather find another way to add small lights on the side from various angles ect. Being my first grow I didn’t start training early on like I should have, but my plans for next cycle is to have one big light like the one I just purchased on 4 plants, and have one giant scrog. It may say 3000w, but I think it’s only pushing 680 watts.

The room has a seal all around the door, remains locked; and is locked and is in an obscure spot in the house. Nobody ever goes up there. But what else would you recommend w/ smell?

I like the way accessibility of not having them in tents. Even thinking about designing a swivel sort of like a reclining chair for the plants to rotate on the base + maybe try to attach it to scrog for next grow. Right now humidity is good and I have a dark tarp over the window (no light is getting in).
If you want you could just set a inline fan on top of a carbon filter anywhere in the room to help some.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It's a weed. It'll make flowers if you don't kill it.
. . . . . .👆 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 👆

Refining the process, the environment, getting used to how and when and how much to feed, etc all are things to refine the process and make more, better flowers.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Some slight discoloration on the inside of the leaves.
The suck thing is, the leaves take a bit to actually let you know you've done something wrong unless it's drastic. So nute deficiencies/abundances are something to be really careful of.

Whatever feeding schedule and/or nutes you are using should probably be reduced to about 25% of the recommended dosage to start, then see how the plants respond. If they get a little hungry it's not near as damaging as them being overfed.

I also looked at the Mars TS lights but still went with HLG as their boards seem to be a bit better quality. With the Mars though you wont have to fabricate the frame and build it out yourself. This is what I did - 4 qb132 boards and one qb288 from HLG - one HLG-320H-C2100B driver for the qb 132 boards, can get them up to 300W and a single HLG-120H-54B for the qb288. I think I can get roughly 400-550 out of the setup which is overkill with QBs.

On the topic of exhausing, @PokerJay1983 - not sure if you have recessed lighting in there, but if you do you could remove one can, run an exhaust through that opening into the attic and have a carbon filter on either end of it. The air going into the attic would be scrubbed so no smell and all the heat from lighting would be taken up as well.

PokerJay1983

Really Active Member
I suspect it is a lack of magnesium but will have a look when you post some more pictures.
yes is has apparently gotten worse. There is discoloration in the leaves and some of the tips have turned brownish. You suspect this could be lack of magnesium?

I’m watering twice Dailey. A heavy water in the morning/flood and pump spray in the afternoon.

This mix of soil consists of Happy Frog/Ocean Forrest, dolomite, perlite, worm castings, and natural organic grannual plant food mix.

67C2E3BC-2312-4E7A-AEAC-A7BD6CB9AD81.jpegA9044B39-461E-4A43-814A-41D9BDAEF3D3.jpeg4C985D54-5C6E-44A4-8405-B7A70220D8F8.jpeg170DD4D4-17EE-4A14-A871-0D442ADA094F.jpegB219EDAC-8911-4046-836A-0032C52310F0.jpeg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I won't go through the entire list, but you might want to think about repotting - definitely wait for a second opinion.

FFOF is their "hottest" soil, the most nutrients already in the soil make-up. You're plant s got this far fine, so you might have squeaked by on that, or it may be catching up to you.

"natural organic grannual plant food mix." ???

Watering twice a day is not the thing to do.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I guess the main point is that these are hearty plants, but they can be very finicky - especially as they transition from veg to flower. Two wisdom-nuggets I have picked up in a short time

• Less is more.
  • Nothing can kill a plant quicker than human interaction.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I would recommend looking through one of the grow journals of one of the main growers on here, then find a spot where one explains what they do to set up a new grow, then browse through how it progressed. Do this enough and you can learn from other peoples mistakes instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

PokerJay1983

Really Active Member
I won't go through the entire list, but you might want to think about repotting - definitely wait for a second opinion.

FFOF is their "hottest" soil, the most nutrients already in the soil make-up. You're plant s got this far fine, so you might have squeaked by on that, or it may be catching up to you.

"natural organic grannual plant food mix." ???

Watering twice a day is not the thing to do.

Just got off the phone with my buddy who is a long time grower. He’s gonna come over and check them out tomorrow.

I have a filter on my fridge, was getting water out of that and running it through the britta filter first. Last week have been just running a straw straight from fridge to 1 gallon containers as the ph tested fine.

He says there could be other chemicals in that water.

He told me to raise my light from 20” to 26” and not water for a day or two.

I also flooded a couple days ago trying to get the water gauge green deep down. FFS.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
My man you have a lot of stuff going on there that could cause issues. I suspect your soil could be pretty hot from what you described.Your watering needs to be corrected. You need to give it a good soak like you said you did and let it dry up some. You really need that wet dry cycle when growing in soil. I hate to sound critical and would like to help. Learning some of the basic things can be learned from sites like growweedeasy.com If you can access the site tonite a lot of the things you learn from your buddy tomorrow will be a lot easier to understand. It is not that hard just takes time and effort and you will get lots of help here. With all that being said the plants actually look pretty happy but they can go south quick.

Too much water Jay - I only water twice a week - in 5 gallon pots, I usually only water until I see about a half to one cup of run off. I only give water when I can place my finger in the soil and it is dry about 1-2 inches down and only when the weight of the pot is light. Feel how heavy it is when it is watered and you will know how it feels when dry.

Your soil and amendments seem to me like they would have you covered on all macro and micro nutrients - FFOF is a tad hot for seedlings, but not for mature plants IMHO. I use FFHF to start and then a 50/50 mix of FFHF to FFOF amended with goodies and 20-30% perlite when they transition to veg from seedling and to flower from veg. I think you should first correct your watering schedule and then go from there. Too much or too little water (at the incorrect PH range) will cause symptons of lockout - i've experienced this and it can be confusing - don't go adding more nutrients until you have the watering sorted.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Just got off the phone with my buddy who is a long time grower. He’s gonna come over and check them out tomorrow.

I have a filter on my fridge, was getting water out of that and running it through the britta filter first. Last week have been just running a straw straight from fridge to 1 gallon containers as the ph tested fine.

He says there could be other chemicals in that water.

He told me to raise my light from 20” to 26” and not water for a day or two.

I also flooded a couple days ago trying to get the water gauge green deep down. FFS.
Municipal water or well water?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Too much water Jay
Dude - thanks for chiming in. He needs some pointers, but I am trying to get pointers about growing for seeds and breeding and my mind just isn't there.

@PokerJay1983 I worried when you mentioned "natural organic grannual plant food mix". I envision some Job's or Miracle-No timed-release plant killers from Lowes or Walmart. I tapped out at that point :)

Best advice I can give is to read a book on growing MJ. Depending on the year it was published, some of the tech may have changed, but the plants haven't. Lights are better, nutes more refined etc. but seed+dirt+sun+water=flower.

PokerJay1983

Really Active Member
Too much water Jay - I only water twice a week - in 5 gallon pots, I usually only water until I see about a half to one cup of run off. I only give water when I can place my finger in the soil and it is dry about 1-2 inches down and only when the weight of the pot is light. Feel how heavy it is when it is watered and you will know how it feels when dry.

Your soil and amendments seem to me like they would have you covered on all macro and micro nutrients - FFOF is a tad hot for seedlings, but not for mature plants IMHO. I use FFHF to start and then a 50/50 mix of FFHF to FFOF amended with goodies and 20-30% perlite when they transition to veg from seedling and to flower from veg. I think you should first correct your watering schedule and then go from there. Too much or too little water (at the incorrect PH range) will cause symptons of lockout - i've experienced this and it can be confusing - don't go adding more nutrients until you have the watering sorted.
all set with new light + on timer.

got it 30 inches above top of canopy to start out.

72ADDEB6-C795-4B31-BC8D-AAE554C08EB4.jpeg