What did you do today?

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
fuck them yellerjackets and hornets in the ear, can't stand em. Even if not allergic, them bastard yellowjackets bite and sting ya, lil fuckers, they'll bite ya to get a better foothold to sting ya with, and they don't give a fuck, they'll keep stingin over and over. Welp up like a bitch, hurts like hell.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
This is what I will attempt to deal with tonight. This nest was only a few feet away, right at eye level where I have been doing work, moved the chickens, mowing grass, and i never noticed.
Now, it is over 2ft long and bigger than a basketball around. Freakin me out to even look at it..
Last yr i battled the yellow jackets/ground bees 3 times and got the F stung outta my ass. Lucky I'm not allergic.View attachment 24004
Are those bees or hornets? If bees, there are people that come out to remove for free, and preserve the hive because bees are becoming extinct and obce they are we will be too. Fuck hornets, yellow jackets, wasps, mud daubers, all of them, they steal shit and give nothing back to the ecosystem.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
These are Bald Faced Hornets. Very aggressive and I've never dealt with a nest this large. If it was hanging only by one branch it would be much easier, to cut it free and drop in a bag/pillowcase and seal. But there are multiple small branches they've built around.
By now there are at least 4-6 queens inside. If i dont get them now, these queens will be starting new hives next spring.
I'm still debating the plan of attack. I dont have a pro bee suit. But I can layer up heavy clothes, coveralls, coat, and cover myself with a full body tyvek haz-mat type suit. Duct tape, Leather gloves, Rubber boots, and multiple layers, balaclava/ski mask, hoodie, boonie hat and full body/ head mosquito net suit on top too. lol

I wont just look like an idiot, I will be one for sure. 🤪

I think I will probably use an expanding foaming agent, insecticide, and foaming sprayer to saturate the outside of the nest and fill the hole. Then If I can cut the branches and drop in a bag along with an insecticide fogger.

I like kerosene or gas but its in a red cedar right by the house and carport I just finished repairs on, Cant risk a fire. I have animals close as well and I know I've lost at least one to bee stings. Cant have that.
After a good dose of pesticide the ground bees/yellow jackets usually get gas and flame treatment.

Yeah spyralout, I'm never lucky enough to have honey bees. Its always the yellow jackets in the ground or hornets. Honey bees i would try to save. I helped my grandfather with his Bee hives and worms bins all through my youth.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
These are Bald Faced Hornets. Very aggressive and I've never dealt with a nest this large. If it was hanging only by one branch it would be much easier, to cut it free and drop in a bag/pillowcase and seal. But there are multiple small branches they've built around.
By now there are at least 4-6 queens inside. If i dont get them now, these queens will be starting new hives next spring.
I'm still debating the plan of attack. I dont have a pro bee suit. But I can layer up heavy clothes, coveralls, coat, and cover myself with a full body tyvek haz-mat type suit. Duct tape, Leather gloves, Rubber boots, and multiple layers, balaclava/ski mask, hoodie, boonie hat and full body/ head mosquito net suit on top too. lol

I think I will probably use an expanding foaming agent, insecticide, and foaming sprayer to saturate the outside of the nest and fill the hole. Then If I can cut the branches and drop in a bag along with an insecticide fogger.

I like kerosene or gas but its in a red cedar right by the house and carport I just finished repairs on, Cant risk a fire. I have animals close as well and I know I've lost at least one to bee stings. Cant have that.
After a good dose of pesticide the ground bees/yellow jackets usually get gas and flame treatment.

Yeah spyralout, I'm never lucky enough to have honey bees. Its always the yellow jackets in the ground or hornets. Honey bees i would try to save. I helped my grandfather with his Bee hives and worms bins all through my youth.
You're gonna look like you're cleaning a meth lab lol. Have someone video that shit. Maybe if you smoke those fuckers out first with some bellows?
Now would be the perfect opportunity to pull the stunt in that Chris Farley/David Spade movie Tommy Boy
tenor-11.gif

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Haha Love that movie.
Wife might be available to vid the processs. Im sure ya'll would get a good laugh if I post it :D And yeah it will probably look.. alot like that. I know my last run in with the ground bees was very similar aha.

Actually watched a vid where a guy used CO2 to chill them and simply removed the nest. No bee suit or nothing. ( I have a full tank, but damn I dont know that I want to get that close.)
He then takes it home in a pillowcase complete, freezes and gets paid to separate them, selling the ones that sting, for the venom used to make anti venom..

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Well, just as I finished typing my last post I heard a ruckus outside. I went out and there was a possum in the chicken coop. The Hen" Clucker" was no where to be seen, while in the coop with the possum the rooster "ParrotEyes" was going nuts.
I grabbed the first thing I could on the way out the door (metal broom handle) and commenced whacking at the possum who was too dumb to run out of the cage. So I had him pinned but couldn't do anything, while the rooster, trapped at the other end behind me, is going crazy and pecking me on the arm I'm using to pin the possum
Ahaha, what a F'n night.

The whole time I'm wary of the hornets nest, only about 6 ft away above me in the cedar lol.
Finally I just lifted the coop and pushed the possum out.

Then spent the next 3 hrs trying to find the hen with a flashlight. Walking around making chicken noises and calling her like its a damn dog or something,:LOL: And no I didnt get video :p

I saw no feathers or blood or sign of a struggle. I figured she ran and hid so I searched everywhere, probably covered ten acres., yard , woods, field, pasture. No chicken.

So my wife gets home from work at about 10 and she comes walking up calling for the chicken, walks under the carport. walks over to the coop and it wasn't 20 seconds later we hear a chicken behind us. (y)

There comes Ms Clucker. not injured and she seems fine. She let me pick her up and place her in the coop.
Geez even the chickens feel like pets now and part of the family..

The hornets will wait til tomorrow night, Im bout to bong myself into oblivion and relax.

I've decided to go with a few cans of a product like the one you show Willie, though that flamethrower would come in handy for so many things :)

Heathenraider

Heathen Basterd

Hit them Hives with a 300 lb fatty after Taco Johns and Rum shots, and ps get protective netting.

D

Deleted member 60

This is what you have there. We get these as well....usually see one big nest per year. Last year it was right above where I park/get out of my truck. I leave em be.....and the first good storm usually takes the nest out unless they built in in a super well protected spot. Here it's the yellow jackets that nest underground that you gotta watch for. step on one of those and you will know it.

D

Deleted member 60

"Another day older and one day closer to death".... PF

Yesterday was one of those days here. Worked on the house/raised that last bathroom window/put new siding on....and capped the day with a crazy good steak, a plate of crab legs, and a Stella. (first steak I've eaten in years). Then we smoked a couple of big joints to try to settle it all...LOL.

Got all of the girls on their own pallet and soaked them til they just started to drip through. If there's any ferts left in there...they will grab em up in the next few days. Once they again dry out a bit...everybody will be on the flush regime'. Weather is still holding. Just amazing. They love this shit.

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
This is what I will attempt to deal with tonight. This nest was only a few feet away, right at eye level where I have been doing work, moved the chickens, mowing grass, and i never noticed.
Now, it is over 2ft long and bigger than a basketball around. Freakin me out to even look at it..
Last yr i battled the yellow jackets/ground bees 3 times and got the F stung outta my ass. Lucky I'm not allergic.View attachment 24004
Bees have been crazy this year. This is in my yard and there are another four that I seen and stepped on and got stung four times near my outdoor crop. C9005E04-7D0F-4C3F-9865-4F7FC23872C1.jpegAE16C18E-EB9B-47AB-A38C-531C64BB2003.jpeg

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
These are Bald Faced Hornets. Very aggressive and I've never dealt with a nest this large.
They do make that massive basketball beehive. There are 1000s of the bastards in there. Once i got up on one with the 15 foot wasp nest killer....i got closer and closer and then the can ran out of juice. I backed away a lot faster than i moved up on it !

When you get to 40F they wont sting you. They are dumb as politicians.

All that did was piss them right off. So I waited until it was cold and i got a real long pole and said hey eldest son....here is a pole to knock off the nest.

I didn't get stung once!.....I think he might have got dinged. :D

Interesting facts....they will never put the nest in the same place twice. They evacuate the nest in fall and only the Queen survives. She starts it all over again next year.

They serve no purpose except to be really annoying. Fuckers.

Yellow Jackets sting is almost gentle compared to those things.

Attachments

Last edited:

yougrowyourway

illgrowmyway
Well, just as I finished typing my last post I heard a ruckus outside. I went out and there was a possum in the chicken coop. The Hen" Clucker" was no where to be seen, while in the coop with the possum the rooster "ParrotEyes" was going nuts.
I grabbed the first thing I could on the way out the door (metal broom handle) and commenced whacking at the possum who was too dumb to run out of the cage. So I had him pinned but couldn't do anything, while the rooster, trapped at the other end behind me, is going crazy and pecking me on the arm I'm using to pin the possum
Ahaha, what a F'n night.

The whole time I'm wary of the hornets nest, only about 6 ft away above me in the cedar lol.
Finally I just lifted the coop and pushed the possum out.

Then spent the next 3 hrs trying to find the hen with a flashlight. Walking around making chicken noises and calling her like its a damn dog or something,:LOL: And no I didnt get video :p

I saw no feathers or blood or sign of a struggle. I figured she ran and hid so I searched everywhere, probably covered ten acres., yard , woods, field, pasture. No chicken.

So my wife gets home from work at about 10 and she comes walking up calling for the chicken, walks under the carport. walks over to the coop and it wasn't 20 seconds later we hear a chicken behind us. (y)

There comes Ms Clucker. not injured and she seems fine. She let me pick her up and place her in the coop.
Geez even the chickens feel like pets now and part of the family..

The hornets will wait til tomorrow night, Im bout to bong myself into oblivion and relax.

I've decided to go with a few cans of a product like the one you show Willie, though that flamethrower would come in handy for so many things :)
This genuinely made me laugh so hard out loud last night that the chick blowing me stopped and look at me funny. Glad the wife was the key to finding Mrs clicker. Good luck with them nasties today.

badmofo529

Insanely Active Member
I had some bald faced hornets on my garage. The raid brand spray didn't do shit to them, but I hit them with an old ass can I found that was just labeled "hornet spray" and it took care of them. So you might need to try more than one product. When I knocked it down there was what appeared to be 2 queens still alive that got stomped out.

Pretty sure they are fruit and nut tree pollinators, unfortunately they are pretty aggressive.