Vegetable Gardens ??

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The herbs are on point too. IMG_8531.JPG
I really have no use for spearmint other than some mixed drinks and whatnot, so this is going into the yard somewhere. Those runners are rooting in the pot and going crazy. Should be good ground-cover somewhere - but also looks invasive.
IMG_8527.JPG
And the cilantro is going to seed - coriander.
IMG_8528.JPG
They're just now plumping up, but I put a tray under it to see when they start dropping. At some point I'll hang the whole thing in a mesh bag.
IMG_8530.JPG

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
What are your high temps currently? Sometimes they drop to self regulate. Heat can cause it, has a name as well that escapes me at the moment.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What are your high temps currently? Sometimes they drop to self regulate. Heat can cause it, has a name as well that escapes me at the moment.
Barely reaching the 90s, but shaded during the hottest part of the day. but they haven't pollenated well in the 70's or 80's either.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
The little deer in the pics above is definitely an orphan. It's always here. It's been eating beans, sunflowers, tomatoes, and mostly sweet potato leaves. Tightened up any access points, cayenne pepper spray, rotten egg wash, and I laid down some fencing flat, supported by planting pots, over the largest sweet potato bed.

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
Using Jacks 321, one pumpkin got some and one did not. Big Difference!

with
View attachment 63921
and without, but they are both getting some now ;)
View attachment 63922
What's the medium?

I grew out some kind of squash/pumpkin a few years ago in coco using Masterblend Tomato fertilizer. Never seen such explosive growth, and you know how squash tends to grow anyway. It got so out of hand, I had to abort the experiment because I couldn't keep up.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
What's the medium?

I grew out some kind of squash/pumpkin a few years ago in coco using Masterblend Tomato fertilizer. Never seen such explosive growth, and you know how squash tends to grow anyway. It got so out of hand, I had to abort the experiment because I couldn't keep up.
It's in an amended soil mix. Rock phospate, greensand, bone meal, blood, meal, coco coir, perlite, vermiculite and soil. It was some of my soil for outdoor grow, which I did not do this year.

I grew some Hubbard Squash one year..........huge beasts. This pumpkin is Big Max, they can get large, claims 100 lbs possible so probably half that in reality. I'm only going to leave one on the vine. The vine itself just got tied to the fence, it's starting to run now. :)

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
It's in an amended soil mix. Rock phospate, greensand, bone meal, blood, meal, coco coir, perlite, vermiculite and soil. It was some of my soil for outdoor grow, which I did not do this year.

I grew some Hubbard Squash one year..........huge beasts. This pumpkin is Big Max, they can get large, claims 100 lbs possible so probably half that in reality. I'm only going to leave one on the vine. The vine itself just got tied to the fence, it's starting to run now. :)
Nice. Looking forward to seeing that.

Hubbards are nice. My dog loves getting some squash in her food. I roast them pretty good in the oven and add it to her dry food, she goes nuts for it.

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
If my dogs get the squirts I always add some pumpkin or squash and they will get right solid fast. We also give green beans twice a week.
That's why I originally started adding pumpkin, to help with digestive issues. My dog loves it so much, that I make it a more regular thing. She gets excited when she smells it roasting in the oven. She lives better than I do, that's for sure.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I culled the pink brandywine. removed four 6'+ stalks and there was one green tomato on the whole damn thing. It made room got these though. Anyone have a good method for saving seeds for next year? I have no clue what flavor of tomato this is, but I think I want more next year.
IMG_8644.JPG
the black prince had one limb die. all the leaves just shriveled, but the other two are fine. I've been picking the tomatoes off as soon as they start turning then I'll prune it. IMG_8643.JPG
Pretty tomatoes when they turn, but kind of mealy. Definitely a novelty. The big one is a cherokee purple. IMG_8654.JPG
I am washing jars today, because i just have a feeling I'll have more than I can use real soon. I'm getting about half a dozen cherry tomatoes each day from one plant just to the right of that center post. It has three limbs so far that are over the top.
IMG_8653.JPG

D

Deleted member 60

Here's some info about saving tomato seeds. We do the fermentation process they speak of. Gotta have the tomatoes own acids in the mix to set the seed up for the next year. https://www.growveg.com/guides/three-ways-to-save-tomato-seeds/

Getting ripe Back Krim's from the dome now. Like softballs. These were planted from seeds in March-'ish. Most of the outdoor plants (planted from seed in April) have green maters...earliest "Amos Coli" paste tomatoes we've ever grown forming up and starting to blush. That's good cus they usually get their vine cut and taken in to fully ripen. that may happen again this year cus they are indeterminates...but it appears we will see a lot of ripe fruit in the interim.

Shit is rockin. We are hoppin' Hasn't really done anything but sprinkle for a month and a half. Bumped 100F yesterday and today is gonna be a repeat.

Never grown garlic but we have some going this year. How do you know it's done?

Onions are becoming softballs as well. Crazy growth. Prolly only a few more weeks but we will so how long they wanna rock.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I started my garden pretty late this year, and kept it to just tomatoes, zucchini, spaghetti squash, and cucumbers. The soil was in rougher shape than I thought so I had to amend it with some blood meal and garden lime after I transplanted and they are finally looking a lot better. The squashes and cucumbers are fruiting nicely now but the tomatoes are behind.
BBDCC28A-3017-4225-AE24-55D359995400.jpeg

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Here's some info about saving tomato seeds. We do the fermentation process they speak of. Gotta have the tomatoes own acids in the mix to set the seed up for the next year. https://www.growveg.com/guides/three-ways-to-save-tomato-seeds/

Getting ripe Back Krim's from the dome now. Like softballs. These were planted from seeds in March-'ish. Most of the outdoor plants (planted from seed in April) have green maters...earliest "Amos Coli" paste tomatoes we've ever grown forming up and starting to blush. That's good cus they usually get their vine cut and taken in to fully ripen. that may happen again this year cus they are indeterminates...but it appears we will see a lot of ripe fruit in the interim.

Shit is rockin. We are hoppin' Hasn't really done anything but sprinkle for a month and a half. Bumped 100F yesterday and today is gonna be a repeat.

Never grown garlic but we have some going this year. How do you know it's done?

Onions are becoming softballs as well. Crazy growth. Prolly only a few more weeks but we will so how long they wanna rock.
Garlic....look at the leaves, when you only have 4 or 5 green leaves left, dig em up. If they flop over.....dig em up. It's better to err on the early side. Each leaf you see is 1 skin around the garlic, if they go too long that skin wrapper will be missing. Not a problem for fresh eating, just eat those first, but they won't store. Save your best heads for seed for next year's crop.
If they are hardnecks, you should have cut the scapes. They are delicious and if left on take all the plant's energy and you get small heads. Garlic, is going to acclimate itself to your conditions, years 2 and 3 will be bigger and better. If they are softnecks............go and get you some hardnecks :)

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I started my garden pretty late this year, and kept it to just tomatoes, zucchini, spaghetti squash, and cucumbers. The soil was in rougher shape than I thought so I had to amend it with some blood meal and garden lime after I transplanted and they are finally looking a lot better. The squashes and cucumbers are fruiting nicely now but the tomatoes are behind.
View attachment 64120
No problem being a little late with those, they will all catch up. Looks good!