Vegetable Gardens ??

D

Deleted member 60

the 20" of snow we got 2 weeks ago put the whammy on a lot of stuff. We were amazingly able to save the green beans...full of blooms when the storm hit....we are now being slammed. LOL. Babied a few squash plants through as well. Why..I don;t know. LOL. This is the last year for squash here. if you don;t fry it...it kinda sucks...and we don;t eat much fried food anymore.

The tomatoes we pulled from the vines are all ripening well. The oven has been going non-stop. Lotsa sauce/paste. Still have a couple of rows of beets going. They like the cooler nights for sure. Cabbages as well. Peppers all got moved into the dome and are exploding with blooms/fruit.

Temps appear to be dropping a bit next week...so we will see on all fronts (veggies and weed) how things go. Definitely a good year....even with the snow screwing thing up. It's always something.........

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
My garden was trash form the roedents so I pulled it all down 2 weeks ago and mulched the bed early this year. BTW, it was rats that were taking all my tomatoes. While I was tearing it all down I found a small nest in the corner with some baby rats in it. My wife told me I was a pussy because I verbally said "Sorry little guys" before I stomped them dead 😂 I'm becoming really soft with stuff like that as I get older. I know rats are gross, spread disease, and ruin everything around them...but they are still cute when they are babies.

D

Deleted member 60

LOL. We're the same way here. We don't kill things on the whole...but the mice >have< been taking a hit this year. Just seems like there's a ton more of em this year. Fortunately, they don't seem to eat weed or veggies.

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
Well I took in (2) 5 gal buckets of tomato’s and a huge tout of random veggies before the major frost in my zone. Sure glad I did cause everything but the cannabis was fucked. only major factor was the “giant pumpkin” so I harvested it yesterday (5 of em) a few of em were nearly 100-200lb’s, I even had then on 4 pillows and slowly took em to my garage and they are all sitting next to my watermelon storage box ( I have like 20+). Week ago I picked my two fence lines of grapes cause they finally got ripe and since I put a bird protector on them. I never lose any. Well I made 10 gallons of grape juice after cleaning and removing stems. Funny cause I’ve drank a;most all of it in this time( you couldn’t find this stuff in the store baby )

key is to mix it after you blend the grapes down with sparkling water. The. And every 1/2 gal add 1/4-1/2 by your preference of a cup of sugar

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Obviously someone sent out party invites, we took a week off and headed for the coast, upon return there were deer, bear,elk and turkeys tracks where our garden once flourished, they ate everything, hundreds of tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers and lettuce, fortunately we canned our hearts out before we left, I assume the bear broke our deer fence down and the rest is history... All I could do is laugh, I rolled hoses and got the spot ready for winter, they did leave lots of "fertilizer" behind lol...

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
Obviously someone sent out party invites, we took a week off and headed for the coast, upon return there were deer, bear,elk and turkeys tracks where our garden once flourished, they ate everything, hundreds of tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers and lettuce, fortunately we canned our hearts out before we left, I assume the bear broke our deer fence down and the rest is history... All I could do is laugh, I rolled hoses and got the spot ready for winter, they did leave lots of "fertilizer" behind lol...

thats a bummer , thats one thing I'm thankful for my swamp border yard than my whole yard is grass and then my garden is pure fenced and even onto so birds and nothing can get in . only animal that ever gets in are rabbits but thats very rare

anyways hope you got your harvest the previous part of the year and it wasn't too much of a lose. as a gardner ( shit happens if it isn't weather its a "pest" or mold or big animal or ripper of some sort)

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Wow you’ve got a bit more than the standard Caterpillar problem going on with half the parade turning up to feast. Does sound like regardless of the damage your in a nice part of the world