Vegetable Gardens ??

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I have never seen so many honey bees in my life. Sometimes 5 or 6 will be in 1 squash flower.

The delecto strain grow like an acorn squash. A couple are almost full sized and then it REALLY kicked in to flowering. I have been using this prime time organic based bloom nutrients...dig them into the top inch of soil time release for 30 days...WOW

10 more started forming on that 1 squash plant....the bees...the butterflies. Maybe they are attracted to ganja and hash smoke !
I have another plant at the back of delectos and what i thought were giant tomatos were the squash in the green. :D lol i should get 20 or so good sized ones out of it !

Its crazy. Next year i stake things! I know how to do it now and what i will do. IT will be AMAZING and this year is no slouch.

8 foot cannabis 3 weeks out from a whiff of a budlet....now we are cooking with gas. Organic soil is too damned slow but...its nice when it gets going.

My front yard spot will be all potatos next year. 5 x 15 feet of just spuds.

All 4 cannabis plants will be on rollers in 25 or 50 gallon pots with 100% organic soil (bagged fancy stuff at 3 bucks a gallon).

And the rest of the garden will have trellis systems where needed. :D It is pretty cool when year 1 is met with success that you can build upon.

pics and an edit in 1 hour... :D

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Green tomatoes. How green can you pick them and they will ripen on the window sill ? I have to reduce come weight on them.

Fried green tomatoes are not my favorite but i will make a shit ton of pickles.

What causes the bottom of a tomato to blacken and rot off ? I have 1 on a san marzano plant (i have never been good at growing them but that was before i grew weed).

Oh i still suck at it but i got better soil !

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
OK, here goes LOL
Green tomatoes. How green can you pick them and they will ripen on the window sill ? I have to reduce come weight on them.
I think that as soon as they start to turn - any shade other than green.

Try making them right when the tomatoes are at the just turning stage. You'll have a little sweeter end product, won't taste as "pickle-ey"

What causes the bottom of a tomato to blacken and rot off ? I have 1 on a san marzano plant (i have never been good at growing them but that was before i grew weed).
Had the same problem with the San Marzano last year - didn't plant any this year. I think it is just a real finicky strain that needs the perfect environment - which is why a can of them costs at least twice what regular canned tomatoes cost. And you still may find one with a black bottom in the can.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You could probably really dial in a plant if you read up on them, grew them in a tent, and loved on them like you do the wacky-tabacky. :sneaky:

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
i think this winter i will grow those fancy organic tomatoes indoors. and a pepper plant (sweet bell peppers) both of those get expensive and tasteless in winter and that makes sense to me !

thanks @H.A.F.

I always called that blight...they got the blight. I just need to find the right pot i mean tomato for my conditions...it is exactly the same

But i want san marzanos because the sauce is the best. Romas may grow better but that weird yellow pale orange colour wont cut it for what i cook. In ancient times (the 80s) i thought it was my lack of skill effecting the sauce..it is never great always barely good.

And then Buffalo PBS started showing Lidya and her Italy. And i started buying only Italian San Marzano in the can. The first one i ever opened was the colour of Heinz ketchup...the sauce i made...has greatly evolved but that sauce made me never buy another shitty cheap can of tomatos again.

And come to think of it...it is the soil that does it.

At 2 bucks or 5 bucks a can i say fuck it...i grow buds. I will let Italians grow those banging maters for my sauces.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 60

The bees love our dome. We start seeing them in March/April when there's still snow on the ground. In they come to hit on the flowers. Pretty sure these aren't honeybees though....some sort of underground dwellers. Amazing they show up in the cold.

Buy some "Cal-Phos" next year for the blossom end rot on the maters @gwheels. It's a clay-like stuff....4% phos and like 18% calcium. You put it in the bottom of the holes @ transplant. Haven't seen any rot since I heard about this/started using it. Sounds like the gals might like it later in flower as well. Will probably go Mad Scientist and slap some in the brew barrel @ some point.

Monsoons are here...possibly en force. Form zero to 100.....LOL. We're gonna get the remnants of Hanna, I suspect...or at least the moisture flow will hit the jet stream and get pumped this way. Up to FIVE inches of rain in the next 5 days or so. We will see. Prolly got 1/2" last night...creek is up (yah!)....we fuckin need this bad...even if it does all come at once. Gonna stake the gals today in case we get a wicked burst......

Made a new cover for the 4 rows out of 1" electrical conduit and a spare 12 x 20 shade cloth I had. Now almost everything is covered for hail with a shade cloth. It took us about 5 minutes to cover the garden and the weed last night. Got wet...but hey...whatever. It only gets scary when the lightning starts crashing down around ya...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Buy some "Cal-Phos" next year for the blossom end rot on the maters @gwheels. It's a clay-like stuff....4% phos and like 18% calcium. You put it in the bottom of the holes @ transplant.
So, cal-mag but for 'maters! Makes sense.

If that is the solution there is probably a liquid additive you could add now.

D

Deleted member 60

Cal Phos....4% phosphorous. It's calcium that is lacking from my understanding when the rot shows up. There are definitely cal products in liquid form. Might be worth a shot. We've had it bad in the dome and since using this Cal-Phos it has disappeared.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I got a sample pack of "Nectar for the Gods" weed-food. It is calcium based, but a whole different animal as far as feeding regimens. Has almost a cult following. Never made the attempt, and it's been sitting around. My maters are getting all of that this year LOL

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I got a sample pack of "Nectar for the Gods" weed-food. It is calcium based, but a whole different animal as far as feeding regimens. Has almost a cult following. Never made the attempt, and it's been sitting around. My maters are getting all of that this year LOL
I use their #4 soil as part of the base for my soil and I like it a lot.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL

Oh i still suck at it but i got better soil !
Pick them as soon as you see a color change and they will ripen on the sill, but they wom't be as good as fresh. You can also put a few in a paper bag, then pot with lid, and they will produce a gas that makes them ripen. I think you can put a banana or an apple in the bag as well.

The blossom end rot can be caused by a number of things, some you can control and some not.
I had my first 5 tomatos get it and I clip and toss them right out. Successive ones have been fine, so it was probably the erratic rainfalls I've been having.

I don't really like green tomatoes in any form.........compost.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Keep in mind that these are just for me LOL
I have to do something with these today. The little peppers are "lunchbox bells" - no clue. Supposed to be tiny bells and a little sweeter.
IMG_9002.JPG
And these were still a little pink on the tops but crowding on the vine, besides the little crappy bulk tomatoes on top. IMG_9004.JPG