Vegetable Gardens ??

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Greased lightning!

And they chirp like a bird. Kind of like a cardinal.
There’s a clip on YouTube ‘ how to catch a Chipmunk ‘ the bloke pours a big plastic bottle of water down the hole then plugs the opening with the empty bottle end. The Chipmunk shoots straight up into the bottle and is instantly trapped .

D

Deleted member 60

The chipmunks here don;t tend to mess with the garden. They do love to build nests in the ventilation system of both of my trucks though... have had to clean things out more than once and take the motor out......just full of mulch and shit. My buddy came last Summer with his mini dachshund and she found/killed 5 of them under the shed. Been kinda quite ever since.

Had a small setback here because we left the gate open the other day and sure enough...a small doe got in and had a little munch fest. Strawberry tops.....a few beet tops....and gnawed the smaller cabbages right off. Live and learn. Gate has to stay closed...even during the day. Fortunately they don;t seem to go for weed. She was right bey my hoop house and the gate was open.....but no damage.

Hittin the stride here. Gonna be hot this week......MAYBE some rain but "they" (you know..."them") say only a tenth of an inch so not much unless we just get lucky. All I'm doing right now is watering stuff.....all fuckin day. Was low 90's with 12% humidity yesterday....warmer today......more coming after a 2 day break with possible rain. The garden loves this kinda weather but it keeps >me< hoppin'. The weed is lovin' life as well.

Nothing gets shot here....we just adjust and take more precautions once we figure out who/what is doin the damage. I can keep the squirrels busy with some feed corn and suet cakes meant for the birds. They don't even look at the garden. Startin to see a lot of hoppers though...so today they get a meal of Nolo bait and that should fix things for a few years. Seeing a few munches on the leaves/etc.... so they gotta go.

Been warring with the lawn as well. Dug 16 bags of black medic from the yard and the wildflower beds......then hit the yard with 2-4-D. Only the second time in my life I've used that shit....HATE IT......but after 7 years the woods were creeping in bigly ....medic...white clover....dandelions..plantains...all gfoin crazy in the alkaline soil. Everything got a whap of sulphur as well.......and then I fert'd the fuck out of it all. I basically let this get out of hand by not fertilizing enough (at all) for the first 5 years we were here and the weeds had a perfect environment to thrive. Black medic is like some of the other invasive weeds in that it loves shitty soil/compacted/alkaline conditions and >fixes nitrogen from the AIR<....so it can grow, green up, and thrive in the worst conditions. The West is basically one big "worst condition".....LOL. Alkalinity everywhere.....

First ripe tomato on the vine in the dome. Onions are bulbing like crazy. You can see the growth daily. Gonna be HUGE. Everybody else is really diggin in and getting their shit together. Ah.....Summer.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Well that’s killed the first 4 hours of my 12 hour shift learning about the perils of Vermin control gardening across the big pond . Interesting stuff. I generally only have to deal with birds and caterpillars in my garden but if I lived on the outskirts Kangaroos , Emus and introduced rabbits can be an issue . Particularly Roos but they aren’t tactically smart like Chipmunks

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Geeze pellet gun central..

You guys look like your living all Daniel Boone or Dave Crocket in the wild frontier :D man what a garden.

I might get a rabbit but the dog is taking it serious. I told her the garden was being attacked by RABBITS....and then i worked her up into a frenzy about rabbits and now she bolts for them every time i open the door. So they stopped coming around.

:
I still do it because its funny...rabbits rabbits all over my garden dog...go get em. Pugs are funny...they go deranged and you can see it in their face and then they are 100% focused on something. I think i want a pug forever.

Have a great weekend.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Geeze pellet gun central..

You guys look like your living all Daniel Boone or Dave Crocket in the wild frontier :D man what a garden.

I might get a rabbit but the dog is taking it serious. I told her the garden was being attacked by RABBITS....and then i worked her up into a frenzy about rabbits and now she bolts for them every time i open the door. So they stopped coming around.

:
I still do it because its funny...rabbits rabbits all over my garden dog...go get em. Pugs are funny...they go deranged and you can see it in their face and then they are 100% focused on something. I think i want a pug forever.

Have a great weekend.
That’s fucking hilarious . My friend has a Pug and I go round and the thing just like you said gets this deranged mentally impaired look on its face and I’m thinking right what’s it gonna do this time. Last time it actually tried to dig a hole in the top of my foot . I’ve had dogs hump my leg , try and nip me , all the rest but dig a hole in my foot like that’s where it wants to bury its next bone . Yeah we have a problem

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
As soon as I put up the fence though, chipmunks tunneled under it. So far I don't think they've done anything but aerate the soil. Anything to worry about with them?
The chipmunks usually exit thru one hole in the fence, maybe two. Find those exits and you tie up a snare outa fishing line.
then scare them, they had for their exits and go full force thru the snare............a rat trap also works.

Remember, none of these critters eat green tomatoes.....but once they are red they will bite it just to get a drink.grrrrrrr.

I've had woodchucks sit at the base of a tomato plant, shaking the crap out of it until a tomato dropped............rest his sole.

Beans get annihilated

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
That little deer is still here, he was camping on the other side of the house. I'm thinking now that it should be with it's mom still. Maybe an orphan. I went out and bought mucho eggs. 5 eggs, 1 per gallon of water, been sitting in the greenhouse today. Didn't quite putrefy but it smells some, spread about half and made another 2 1/2 gals to top it off.
Tonight might be a problem if the egg wash isn't strong enuff. Tomorrow though it'll be plenty stinky. :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That little deer is still here, he was camping on the other side of the house. I'm thinking now that it should be with it's mom still. Maybe an orphan. I went out and bought mucho eggs. 5 eggs, 1 per gallon of water, been sitting in the greenhouse today. Didn't quite putrefy but it smells some, spread about half and made another 2 1/2 gals to top it off.
Tonight might be a problem if the egg wash isn't strong enuff. Tomorrow though it'll be plenty stinky. :)
Lots of times the mom leaves the fawn to go out foraging.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Lots of times the mom leaves the fawn to go out foraging.
There's a spot here that I have seen the mom leave the fawn twice now. Usually the fawn does not move at all. Pretty cool seeing it in person. This one's a little older, still got spots though.
Anyway, looks like the rotten egg wash held last night and that gives the mix another day to putrefy. That will be the end of them for a while. They avoid it......I think it smells like death to them. Whatever it does, it works like an sob.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
People can't really smell it. I can cause I'm making it and applying it. Small price to pay for it's effectiveness. You can't grow hostas or yew here without it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You can't grow hostas or yew here without it.
OK, cool - because I don't think you can eat those - so I don't care that much since I'll not have to do this. 😁

So far for me the little fence has worked. I don't have tall animals. I use diversion as well. This is out my window right nowIMG_8477.JPG
Notice the hydrofarm 10" tray of water LOL He's eating on a half an apple, the other half is in the fridge and I'll put it out in a few days. Safflower seed also seems popular. Cheapest bulk bird food that also looked interesting to critters.
IMG_8478.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
First actual "harvest" but only some is ready. The peppers will be fire roasted with cheese to go on a burger maybe a quick pickle a few with some onion. They are pleasantly spicy. Less hot than a jalapeno. The cherry tomatoes will have to be the other burger accompaniment. The real 'maters were the low-hanging fruit, some actually in the pot right at the stem.
Early Girl on the left, then better boy, Cherokee purple, and three black prince. IMG_8484.JPG
This will be my only un-ripe picks unless there are more with issues.
The better boy and the purple one just had ugly stem issues, probably semi-broken during transplant. the "store tomatoes" that are on there when you get the plant. The black ones on the end were about an inch above the dirt and looked like prime critter-bait. One has a handle :)
IMG_8485.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Just to be clear, I also know that the first picture with the dove and the rabbit also represent a fine stew ;)
Nothing wrong with fattening them up and being friends until I need them LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I get some really cool "out the window" wildlife pics because of the cat.
These aren't one of them, but you get the idea.
Intense attention, fur up, tail wagging
IMG_8486.JPG
hummingbird at feeder
IMG_8487.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
And I think he can smell when the woodchucks come around. They have a definite musk to them He's alerted me to them most of the time, and was probably watching them eat tomatoes and enjoying the show while I was asleep or something :ROFLMAO:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Massive fruiting. Plans are heavy and I need to start harvesting so I can lighten the limbs :)
A few plants have started their overhead journey.
IMG_8525.JPG
These are all "our favorite tomato"
IMG_8515.JPG
No clue - but nice. Like a roma-cherry cross.
IMG_8522.JPG
A husky cherry and an unknown
IMG_8517.JPG
And only 2 of the 5 tomatillo are fruiting. The others have lots of flowers and are attracting bees, so they stay.
IMG_8520.JPG