Vegetable Gardens ??

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
It's always the young deer that cause the problems in the garden but........seems like they are getting younger. This interloper was having a good time.....actually frolicking and having a great time until I got out there with the camera. Attaching my telephoto lens to my other rig....now! Wish I took these with that one. It was a friendly encounter....it wasn't afraid, guess it figured there was enough to go around ;)

Four seeds in a row, one for the rook,one for the crow, one will wither and one will grow.

garlicfawn.JPG

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
It’s always great to see native animals co existing with humans . For that I’m glad I don’t live in a big city and I work outdoors. I don’t know how people work in a office all day but I guess it’s horses for courses .

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So far I nave seen evidence that the woodchuck has been back in some of the lower foliage in the stuff near my garden. So far it doesn't mess with the little 2' fence.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Check the eyes out , they look like Covid Zombie deer . Back up Willie. You must’ve had the flash on ?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
As soon as I put up the fence though, chipmunks tunneled under it. So far I don't think they've done anything but aerate the soil. Anything to worry about with them?

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
As soon as I put up the fence though, chipmunks tunneled under it. So far I don't think they've done anything but aerate the soil. Anything to worry about with them?
Your probably gonna laugh but because we don’t have Chipmunks can you eat them or they taste like crap or not enough meat ?

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
It depends on how smart they are. Kill the smart ones if possible. I've had them wreak total havoc on Roma crop one year. I had to resort to the bucket of death to dumb down the population. Once they learn how to get your stuff, that's all they want to do. I have a stray cat living in my garden this year and chipmunks are hiding. Works for me.
They cannot navigate a horizontal plane of 1 1/2" from below. My inner compound fence is 2x4 rails with hardware cloth. They can scale the cloth to get in, but they can't get out.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It depends on how smart they are. Kill the smart ones if possible. I've had them wreak total havoc on Roma crop one year. I had to resort to the bucket of death to dumb down the population. Once they learn how to get your stuff, that's all they want to do. I have a stray cat living in my garden this year and chipmunks are hiding. Works for me.
They cannot navigate a horizontal plane of 1 1/2" from below. My inner compound fence is 2x4 rails with hardware cloth. They can scale the cloth to get in, but they can't get out.
There was an older one, gray-ish and about 10 lbs. He was the one that got a few tomatoes. I caught him in the act, and he shagged. When I saw a second (younger ~5lb) then I saw a breeding pair.

I took out the young one the next day with a .22 from about 30ft. Same evening I got a shot at the older one but it took off, wounded or not I don't know - fast little fuckers :ROFLMAO: Haven't seen it since, but I have seen one more young one about a week ago, and the lower leaves on the mulberry tree right next to the garden were stripped up to about woodchuck high. The garden itself was untouched.

I also found a few of their transient dens. I plugged up the holes with a "just big enough" rock. the next morning all but one were in tact, the other one had been dug out, probably from the inside. I piled several small boulders and some loose gravel over the newly open hole and it has been untouched since. I think they are bound to move on.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's the older of the woodchucks. I was cool with him pruning the herbs because he never destroyed them. He topped the oregano like a pro, and a week later it was lush and had a lot of new growth and he came and ate more. It was very symbiotic. I even planted some herbs away from the garden that he'd be welcome to - but you don't shit on grandpa's garden :) IMG_2383.JPG

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
The chucks are fastidious cleaners. If you find a hole that's hard to plug, like in a middle of a bush, pour a jar of molasses all around that opening.....they will move usually. They can take a shot and still haul their ass back to the hole. Some make it and die in the hole, some die enroute and if that happens there will be a vulture or 3 here a couple days later.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
👆
That pic is from last season, nd you can see tomato pots right next to him. He never messed with any of them.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since I've been clearing undergrowth, they have no cover. Wide field of fire and they don't like that. Lots of incentives for them to move on, but if they insist on committing suicide-by-garden so be it.