Vegetable Gardens ??

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I culled the pink brandywine. removed four 6'+ stalks and there was one green tomato on the whole damn thing. It made room got these though. Anyone have a good method for saving seeds for next year? I have no clue what flavor of tomato this is, but I think I want more next year.
View attachment 64115
the black prince had one limb die. all the leaves just shriveled, but the other two are fine. I've been picking the tomatoes off as soon as they start turning then I'll prune it. View attachment 64114
Pretty tomatoes when they turn, but kind of mealy. Definitely a novelty. The big one is a cherokee purple. View attachment 64117
I am washing jars today, because i just have a feeling I'll have more than I can use real soon. I'm getting about half a dozen cherry tomatoes each day from one plant just to the right of that center post. It has three limbs so far that are over the top.
View attachment 64116
It's only worth saving the tomato if it's an heirloom. The hybrids don't come true from seed. The way I do it is to let the tomato get really ripe. Then open her up and put the seeds and their goo on a paper plate. Then put that somewhere that dry. I actually clamshell it with a second plate, covered but not airtight. Your seeds will be ready in a month. I try and space them out a bit on the plate. Some will stick to the paper when you remove them but just plant away.

I love Brandywines but they make 2 good tomatoes for a shitload of plant. I am underwhelmed by the German Johnson so far. But the Prudents Purple is a beast.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
my potatoes started flowering...this morning i found 3 honey bees in 1 squash flower...i was pretty high so it was as awesome as a morning can be...

My garden has filled me with wonder like a child...If it produced no other thing it was succesful.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
germanred2.jpg

Some German Reds. I'm down to 200 or so, still in the ground. I'll get them bin by monday. Most of the garlic beds that have been harvested are now planted in black eye peas. That's what feeds the garlic beds. As close to free fertilizer as you can get and it also improves soil structure and tilth..........dramatically. I can get two pea crops in those spaces before frost. I might add bone meal and wood ash every other year but that's it.

D

Deleted member 60

Cool. Many thanks for the info. Not sure what kind of garlic this even is. 4-5 plants wintered over.... kinda of an experiment.....then the wife planted more in April'ish. It was one of those deals where I didn't agree with how/where she was planting it (wasting an entire row for sparsely planted shit).....so I've kinda ignored it and let her fuckin deal with it. "Did ya water the garlic?" "No..was I supposed to?" Ay-yi-yi-yi-yi. Just stay out of my weed patch.....

No time for second crops here most years. If you plant stuff much later than right now it may not finish up. Have the last row of beans in but they may be bumping into the end. Last year I had to pull em up with tiny beans on em. We just go for onwe crop...freeze/can...and take a deep breath that we can relax. Then the fuckin weed comes in. LOL. Glad I'm not trimming for sale anymore. OK...sort of.

So WTf do you do with all of that garlic? Dat's a bunch......

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Here's what's left from last year...........these made it 11 months! This plate is sun drying and will be half put in jars as dried whole cloves and I'll grind the balance for garlic powder.
dryinggalic.jpg

I give some away to friends, but the bulk of it, I eat roasted. I cut the tops to expose each clove, drizzle with olive oil, with some sea salt and bake that in the oven. OMG, that shit is good. All the sharpness/fire is gone, and the cloves caramelize, it's like garlic flavored candy. You can just pinch a clove and it will squeeze right up. Folks that say garlic is too hot for them are blown away by the taste, and mildness and it's really simple to make. Very tasty and mellow eating. I eat my share fresh also!
With the hardnecks, you get a harvest of garlic scapes about a month prior to the bulbs being ready. These can be frozen for eternity and they come back fresh from the freezer. I stir fry the scapes, which I enjoy more than the actual bulbs (maybe) Then the bulbs come in, which are both food and future seed. Technically if you play it right, garlic is a one time expenditure.
I get two crops from it, and then beans in the space later. It's a productive, vegatatively fueled cycle. No animals eat it and that's a plus here. It can pioneer new beds outside the fence. And I can put up both harvests and eat thruout the year. That's big, I like to grow what I can put up.

Do you cover crop when beds are done? Because if you can't get a second bean crop in that's ok, as long as it starts. You got to kill the beans when they flower for maximum soil benefit. And the benefits are very real.

I'm a fan, lol :D

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's some info about saving tomato seeds. We do the fermentation process they speak of. Gotta have the tomatoes own acids in the mix to set the seed up for the next year. https://www.growveg.com/guides/three-ways-to-save-tomato-seeds/

Getting ripe Back Krim's from the dome now. Like softballs. These were planted from seeds in March-'ish. Most of the outdoor plants (planted from seed in April) have green maters...earliest "Amos Coli" paste tomatoes we've ever grown forming up and starting to blush. That's good cus they usually get their vine cut and taken in to fully ripen. that may happen again this year cus they are indeterminates...but it appears we will see a lot of ripe fruit in the interim.

Shit is rockin. We are hoppin' Hasn't really done anything but sprinkle for a month and a half. Bumped 100F yesterday and today is gonna be a repeat.

Never grown garlic but we have some going this year. How do you know it's done?

Onions are becoming softballs as well. Crazy growth. Prolly only a few more weeks but we will so how long they wanna rock.
Finally had time to read through the link - Thanks!

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
My pool filled up about 5 inches of water with the last 30 hours of rain. Man the plants went BOOM. All of that nutrient mix barely activated was SOAKED !

We had no rain for 8 days so it was good for everywhere !
Holy potatoes...the flowers are just forming now.
DSCF5950.JPG

The front plant is a winter squash. They said 5 to 7 per plant but this one is the mother load. I see 20 of them forming. I am trying to like squash. I figure if i grow it myself i will eat it whether i like it or not.

My wife LOVES it.
DSCF5949.JPG
And the weed...its keeping me up on patrol at night...well i have insomnia and other issues so its an excuse to smoke 1am blunts at the start of the new day...
DSCF5946.JPG
The Canuck 4....most Canadians can grow 4 legally. These are officially my wifes plants....so they are not part of my count (and that is legal).

:)

Dubstep in a 25 gallon pot
DSCF5952.JPG
GMO cake in a 25 gallon pot. She was the early warning system that showed me these 2 can go somewhere else away from weird night lights.
DSCF5951.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I finally found my first evidence of a hornworm (it was inevitable here) but it was only one plant top, and there was no worm. So far, with the kind of birds I have seen hanging out, I think they may be taking care of them before I see them. And I've seen no evidence of bird damage to any plants. Cardinals, bluejays, and a few "ground-picker" species that dig for bugs.

I gave the plants a light spray with Sevin, just in case there were any I didn't see. Starting to get enough tomatoes in to plan meals :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That's about a daily haul now. The medium sized ones (one is cut) were the ones I thought about getting seeds from, nope.
Pretty on the vine, but not that flavorful. Like a bad mix between a roma and a cherry. it'll add bulk to sauce, but not great on it's own. Disappointing.
IMG_8796.JPG
The two varieties of cherries are good, and the slicing tomatoes are perfect - a few kinds, haven't tried a bad one. Some are uglier than others.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
That's about a daily haul now. The medium sized ones (one is cut) were the ones I thought about getting seeds from, nope.
Pretty on the vine, but not that flavorful. Like a bad mix between a roma and a cherry. it'll add bulk to sauce, but not great on it's own. Disappointing.
View attachment 64924
The two varieties of cherries are good, and the slicing tomatoes are perfect - a few kinds, haven't tried a bad one. Some are uglier than others.
Those look tasty! My spaghetti squash are coming in nicely and the zucchini has been producing well so far. I pulled 4 zucchini the other day and another 6 today. Chopped up a couple zucchini today and put in a pan on the grill with butter, salt, and pepper and it was so damn good!
3EC0A9E0-D22B-4381-A3C1-A3C962422DAC.jpeg

D

Deleted member 60

Planted these sour cherry trees 5 seasons ago. Really starting to offer up a nice little haul. Did one tree today. 5 pound of pitted cherries. Used about 2 pounds to make 8 - 1/2 pint jars of preserves and a small "pie" that was incredible.....

001.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My blackberries are now officially played out. I think I got about 4 gallons. I have plenty of frozen concentrated berry juice and about a half gallon of the fattest ones frozen whole.
Plucking about one a day for these
IMG_8801.JPGIMG_8803.JPGIMG_8811.JPG
early girl is a weird plant.
IMG_8812.JPG
The cherries are textbook,
IMG_8806.JPG
These are the "dumb blonde" tomatoes. Pretty on the outside but not much there LOL
IMG_8805.JPG
So I am plucking them as soon as they turn. See if I can get more bulk out of the upper parts
IMG_8818.JPG
And today I figure out what I want to eat with a salsa verde :)
IMG_8816.JPG

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
My blackberries are now officially played out. I think I got about 4 gallons. I have plenty of frozen concentrated berry juice and about a half gallon of the fattest ones frozen whole.
Plucking about one a day for these
View attachment 64960View attachment 64961View attachment 64964
early girl is a weird plant.
View attachment 64965
The cherries are textbook,
View attachment 64966
These are the "dumb blonde" tomatoes. Pretty on the outside but not much there LOL
View attachment 64962
So I am plucking them as soon as they turn. See if I can get more bulk out of the upper parts
View attachment 64968
And today I figure out what I want to eat with a salsa verde :)
View attachment 64967
Those dumb blondes look like what I am growing for sun drieds. Not much seeds or juice and kinda nasty straight, comparative to the cherries and slicers

D

Deleted member 60

Gettin' with it here.........

Amos Coli heirloom paste tomatoes. Definitely the earliest we've had fruit this size. Shit is comin on strong.
001.JPG

017.JPG
The Tomato gauntlet (OK..peppers every-other-hole this year)
003.JPG
Yellow Banana peppers comin on big time
006.JPG
Carrots
007.JPG
The greens kept getting munched by "something"......so I bought 2 of these mesh covers and things turned around immediately. The "Little Gem" romaine is fuckin out of this world stuff. We are plant based eaters for the most part (OK...all except bacon and sausage in the AM) so salads are a big part of things here. This time of year we can pretty much make a kill salad with all ingredients from our own garden. (OK..all but the nuts)
008.JPG
Mo' carrots, peppers, strawberries and some celery...
013.JPG
"Black Krim" from inside the dome. Been eatin fresh maters for a few weeks now.
018.JPG
Amos Coli in the dome
019.JPG
Pineapple
021.JPG

D

Deleted member 60

Pulled some of the garlic...the wimpy stuff. Made small bulbs but nothing to write home about. these are still out there and look different than the others.... @BigBallzWillie
023.JPG

Lotsa beets this year. I have the entire neighborhood hooked on my pickled beets...LOL. You either love em or hate em. Love em here...and all those anti-oxidants. You may be able to see where the deer got in and munched some down. Recovering strongly now. Was worried for a bit the gig was up for some of them. A row of green beans in there as well.....and Ms. Concord Crush bringing up the rear
012.JPG
012.JPG
3 beds of onions...some are softball sized already. "Dixondale Farms" starts for the win. Excellent stock. White/yellow and reds.
004.JPG
Volunteer sunflowers we transplanted out of the gravel driveway
014.JPG
Mr. Bee decided to fly just as I snapped the shot
015.JPG

1/2 way there........

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Looking very very good @stiickygreen . Eat the weak garlic first, save some of the good ones for next year.....what ever they did for you this year, they will do next year better.......garlic learns. I like that Amos Coli tomato a lot!