Vegetable Gardens ??

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Cruisin' along here. June is get it together month. We are seeing things start to kick in and are being relieved of the 'water it every few hours" motif we've been under all month. Fuck me.....it'd be nice if it RAINED once in awhile. Nah.....there's no Climate change. It's always been this dry here. (rolls eyes)

Tomatoes in the Dome. Cruising in on 8 ft tall and blooming/fruiting like mad.
View attachment 63082
View attachment 63083
View attachment 63084
View attachment 63085
View attachment 63086
View attachment 63087
Dam sticky you can grow anything. I love how professional everything in your garden looks great and extremely well cared for. It’s always nice to check out your posts and take notes. Someday hopefully i can have something as nice as your gardens

BerryNice

Super Active Member
I did my first veg garden and fuck bugs man little fucking bastards

Gonna look Into electronic defense system for my garden next year

I surrounded the garden with bug republican herbs and marigolds but no dice

D

Deleted member 60

Thanks @High kev . We spend a lot (most) of our time gardening at this time of year. The 20 year weed cloth is mandatory.....and that is what makes it look clean/well kept. We scraped a field of native grass to create the space...and we have ephedra, dogbane, and other invasives that will simply take things over of you don't use the weed cloth. Ditto in the hoop where I grow my ganja. The weeds would be as tall as the weed if I didn't cover things and take measures to keep things in check. Kinda like the hail protection...you do what you can do and the rest is luck/hope/lotsa effort.

We kinda luck out here with the bugs. Hoppers are the main culprit here. I gave em Nolo Bait this year so hopefully they will be minimal in the future. The drier it is,..the more of em we see. Funny how they only munch certain plants. A few chews on the weed.....but the cabbage takes the hit the hardest. Actually gave em some pyrethium love the other day. Usually don't use anything on the veggies/etc. but as i age I'm getting less and less tolerant of the fuckers.

So what kinda bugs @BerryNice ???

BerryNice

Super Active Member
Dam sticky you can grow anything. I love how professional everything in your garden looks great and extremely well cared for. It’s always nice to check out your posts and take notes. Someday hopefully i can have something as nice as your gardens
I think your in my state I want to be in his state lol

No rain and humidity would be a dream to grow in for me anyway

4 week of rain every other day 90-100 and 70-90 rh

Just creates so many problems so much easier inside with hvac for me anyway

BerryNice

Super Active Member
Yeah those vegetables are beauties man. I never seen any vegetables in that conditions before

They are the healthiest tomatoes I have ever seen

BerryNice

Super Active Member
Thanks @High kev . We spend a lot (most) of our time gardening at this time of year. The 20 year weed cloth is mandatory.....and that is what makes it look clean/well kept. We scraped a field of native grass to create the space...and we have ephedra, dogbane, and other invasives that will simply take things over of you don't use the weed cloth. Ditto in the hoop where I grow my ganja. The weeds would be as tall as the weed if I didn't cover things and take measures to keep things in check. Kinda like the hail protection...you do what you can do and the rest is luck/hope/lotsa effort.

We kinda luck out here with the bugs. Hoppers are the main culprit here. I gave em Nolo Bait this year so hopefully they will be minimal in the future. The drier it is,..the more of em we see. Funny how they only munch certain plants. A few chews on the weed.....but the cabbage takes the hit the hardest. Actually gave em some pyrethium love the other day. Usually don't use anything on the veggies/etc. but as i age I'm getting less and less tolerant of the fuckers.

So what kinda bugs @BerryNice ???
I am battling these little tiny black bug I tried seven bug spray and I just can’t get ride of them

I posted a picture they just arrived a few days ago been ruining my eggplant and tomatoes

I also got this black spot on one of the leaves I think it’s blight and I might need to kill it before spreads to others?

I should have posted here when I first saw them now this my goto garden place

Any help be appreciated ty

Attachments

D

Deleted member 60

If yer here (CO) you simply have to love to grow weed these days. No real market/etc. pushing things along. (unless you like Federally illegal play time) I can pretty much tell where folks are (legal or illegal state) by their gardens/focus/intensity/speel. LOL.

Grew up in Misery...95 degrees...90% humidity. I wouldn't wanna be facing those grow conditions either. I'll take the 50 degree temp swings from 30 to 80 with 14% humidity (OK..it spikes EVERY AM to Midwest levels before dropping to almost nothing in the afternoons) over that Tropical shit any day.

We're on the brink of a tomato overload here. Shit is simply goin off. Our hinge/advantage here is the Dome. We grow tomatoes all year long in there. However, the bulk of the harvest comes from outside, for sure.

@H.A.F. ....you ever try makin sauce or paste? Takes a bit more time with slicers/watery maters vs. pasters...but it can still be done. We half em and put em cut side up in the over overnight @ 200f (looking for a good solar over for this task....anybody have one/have recs?)......then we run em through a tomato press. If we want chunky sauce we add chunks of mater back in after running things through "Weston" .

We eat A LOT of sauce.....LOL.

Looks like black scale to me at first glance @BerryNice . Are they stationary for the most part/stuck on the leaf good? I've heard rubbing alcohol will dry em out/kill em.....as will some of the gnarlier chems/etc. They are tough ones to get rid of though. Had em on a huge Jade plant and had to pick them off by hand.

Not sure about the blight/dark spots/etc. Maybe Seranade would help? (Spinosad) Anyone else have any ideas?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@H.A.F. ....you ever try makin sauce or paste? Takes a bit more time with slicers/watery maters vs. pasters...but it can still be done. We half em and put em cut side up in the over overnight @ 200f (looking for a good solar over for this task....anybody have one/have recs?)......then we run em through a tomato press. If we want chunky sauce we add chunks of mater back in after running things through "Weston" .
I do everything but actual canning. Right now I'm trying oven dried. I had so many cherry tomatoes last year I ended up dehydrating them. Add to ramen, grind for thickening powder for sauce, etc. Canning is just too tedious for me. And I don't need anything to last past next spring.

BerryNice

Super Active Member
If yer here (CO) you simply have to love to grow weed these days. No real market/etc. pushing things along. (unless you like Federally illegal play time) I can pretty much tell where folks are (legal or illegal state) by their gardens/focus/intensity/speel. LOL.
Grew up in Misery...95 degrees...90% humidity. I wouldn't wanna be facing those grow conditions either. I'll take the 50 degree temp swings from 30 to 80 with 14% humidity (OK..it spikes EVERY AM to Midwest levels before dropping to almost nothing in the afternoons) over that Tropical shit any day.

We're on the brink of a tomato overload here. Shit is simply goin off. Our hinge/advantage here is the Dome. We grow tomatoes all year long in there. However, the bulk of the harvest comes from outside, for sure.

We eat A LOT of sauce.....LOL.

Looks like black scale to me at first glance @BerryNice . Are they stationary for the most part/stuck on the leaf good? I've heard rubbing alcohol will dry em out/kill em.....as will some of the gnarlier chems/etc. They are tough ones to get rid of though. Had em on a huge Jade plant and had to pick them off by hand.

Not sure about the blight/dark spots/etc. Maybe Seranade would help? (Spinosad) Anyone else have any ideas?
Yeah I been hand picking and killing them and yeah they are just like stuck on the leaf

They Don’t seem to be doing any major damage but it’s annoying

I want shit to look like yours man haha

D

Deleted member 60

In the veggie garden..I have both 3/4" inch and 1" pvc. (electrical conduit works really well because of the glue-able bell ends) I pounded in T-posts...then wired the pipe to it and bend it over. Bought custom sized shade cloths to fit each space from Greenhouse Megastore. Just added another section the other day. I'll snap a pic in a bit.

The weed hoop is a 20' x 24' "Gothic' shaped structure. 1 1/2 inch metal tubing. Was a bit of fun to put up but the wife and I did it by ourselves.

@H.A.F. ..... "Hot packing" sauces/pickled items isn't that bad of a job once you do it a few times/get set up. We don't "pressure cook" like mom/grandma did. THAT was why everything "vegetable" sucked growing up, IMO.....LOL. Shit was cooked to death/to mush.... hot pack is just as safe and you don;t murderize everything... Just did Cherry preserves.......onions are coming soon..... then beets..... I even buy pineapples and pickle those. Fuckin KILL if you like pineapple/sweet/sour like flavors....

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The big ones are for sandwiches/burgers or stuffing.
The medium and small ones were in here S&P, 225f for about 2-3hrs.
IMG_9006.JPG
I just sliced two sides off each tomato, then cleaned up the middle slice for something for lunch. I separate the seeds and skins from the good meat, add a little salt to the leftovers, then strain it for the juice. OCD baby - waste nothing :) IMG_9007.JPG

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
The hornworms arrived yhis week......rest their souls. Nailed 9 of em. Snip........snip.
Cukes are coming about 3-4 daily and I can hear the floodgates rattling, lol. It's coming!
Tomatoes starting to come in steady.
Okra has little okra's on it.
Zuchinni's are staring to trombone steadily
There are two pumpkins on the best vine.
Peppers are flowering and there is some fruit......many jalapeno's, about 4 bell's
Yellow bush beans are coming in and that's a pick and pick again till frost thingie.
2nd round of lettuce coming to size in a week
Corn looks great........it's pop corn this year instead of sweet corn.
Garlic is in and watermelon, zucch's and winter squash went in one area, black eyed peas everywhere else.
Harvested about a lb of catnip and there's much left. It's the #1 pollinator draw.....sunflowers and fennel tied for #2
Planted some buckwheat in transitional areas as a green manure.
Have 2 pieces of ginger growing
Sweet Potatoes are starting to spread and vine
Have some oats in pots in succession for my cats. They fucking love that! Latin name Avena Sativa, it's a sativa!
Compost pile...got it up to about 5" high.......heated up and dropped by half, flip flip, about a pickup load now.
Raspberries finishing up......bumper crop!

My greens like chard, beets and Komatsuna are getting hammered by slugs and cabbage worms.................bitches.

D

Deleted member 60

The new hoop I made last week with what I had on hand. PVC...zip ties...shade cloth. Wish the shade cloth was a bit wider but other than that..it works well.

2" of rain in the last few days here. That's a bunch for us....with more today/tomorrow before heading back to blazing sunshine for a good week.
The burn scars took it hard. We heard it washed out the road and I'm sure the debris flow was wicked-as-fuck. We looked at a house in that same drainage and if this flow was 1/2 as bad as the flow beneath the Hayden fire that house may not be there this AM. The creek outside our door went from a paltry flow to a ragin torrent last night. A good 6" rise in water levels. I'm guessing the peaks got double the moisture we got down here. Either way....it will recharge the groundwater and surface water for a bit here...which was severely needed. Sad for the folks below the burns though. you wouldn't believe what has happened there....just crazy erosion and sediment.

Check my outdoor thread for a small update there as well.....

031.JPG
032.JPG
033.JPG

BerryNice

Super Active Member
Want a good noob veg grower laugh I tried to do my peppers in 3 gal fabrics

Tried to grow them in black cow soil it looked really nice soil

Hahha must been high af bc I forgot about perlite and each plant gave me one stu nod tiny Pepper before I realized it’s been over watered whole time

They were so hurting I killed them and gonna just buy peppers