Vegetable Gardens ??

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Deer is the only think I can think of that could reach them. We've had woodchucks in my yard before, so it's possible one got in there...I'll have to check the netting I have down low to see if anything breached it. We've had some rats lately, too...do you think maybe them fuckers are climbing the plants and dropping them? I've only seen a few, but usually near the bird feeder, and we found one dead one in the barn from the RatX we've been placing around the barn and house.
Woodchucks don't have to climb, they'll just sit at the base and shake them off. Squirrels will climb and sample your fruit just for a drink, coons are just assholes. The bite mark I see looks smaller than a deer but you never know.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Dunno if it would work for rats (bet it would) but the DIY 5 gallon bucket mouse traps work really well. Too many good critters around here to use poisons.

We used a 1 quart fert bottle drilled out with an old curtain rod.....and one of those produce mesh sacks for the "ladder". Lotsa stuff will work.

Climb...walk the plank...spin...plop....dead.
View attachment 66263
That's another incarnation of the "Bucket of Death" No need for the mchanical stuff just throw a cup or two of sunflower seeds on top of the water................they go right in. Looks like a bucket full of seed.
I only use this in case of emergency. It's a fairly horrible death..............they die after they are exhausted and can no longer swim. Damn effective on chipmunks and mice.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I used to plant 10,000 cloves of garlic a year ! Would harvest between 4,000& 5,000 lbs a year. Plant garlic 6” apart 3” deep in September and harvest in July !
Most I ever planted was 1800 cloves. I love it.

That said, you need to check your arithmetic. The numbers you posted has your garlic producing 1 lb of garlic for every 2 cloves.............or 1/2 lb bulbs. That seems a bit high.
I like 8" spacing fwiw, 6" makes smaller bulbs and is harder to weed.

D

Deleted member 60

Had to google your snake as I’d never heard of it. Pretty cool looking little snake. All our snakes besides a few pythons try to kill you . Thankfully I only cross paths with them occasionally . Our critters don’t try and eat you, they just want to poison your ass .
I bought him for my then 7 year old son in 1997. We inherited him back in 2011 when my son passed away. He just turned 23 this month. Son would have been 30. Fuck me. Crazy shit. Everything I ever bought him ended up in my lap when he left. There is no free lunch.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
You guys have a lot of the red tomatos

I got 6 red ones yesterday and made fried green tomatos and used the batter to make fried summer squash with ranch dip.

I like this garden stuff...

Next year it will be WAY better in design. I need those yo yo things or a fancy trellis for the tomatoes. The san marzano is on a trellis and it is really doing well. It will be at least a case of canned tomato's worth maybe 2. I use them all winter long so this is a great thing.

The other tomatoes are so loaded they flopped over all over the place.

Green peppers all over, too many summer squash to eat and the tomatos are coming.

Cherry tomatoes have just been eaten outside. I split them between me and the dog. Most dogs love them if you bite into them so they can taste that it isnt a ball and its good. Yesterday she got stuck in behind the gate...lol. I heard here barking in the jungle.

I like the unusual look of the delecto squash. I am glad i got weird looking ones you can not get at the store.

I will dig up where i had my lettuce and chard and put in more lettuce and chard.

We have no snakes...the odd garter snake but thats it. Rabbits all over the place but they cant climb the fence.

IMG_1273.JPGIMG_1274.JPGIMG_1275.JPGIMG_1277.JPG

Last edited:

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Todays grab. The big one is another Prudents Purple.......1.1 lb. The other round ones are German Johnsons, biggest one is about 12 oz. Little Leaf cukes and Calypso cukes. Made a large bowl of sliced cucumbers and onions covered in sour cream...a little paprika and some fresh garlic. Best to pop in the fridge for a few hours prior to devouring.........I love that dish! 7-30.jpg
In the bowl on the right are more of the principes for drying and the smaller, light orange ones are SunGolds. They are sugary to begin with but when dried we are talking tomato candy!

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Todays grab. The big one is another Prudents Purple.......1.1 lb. The other round ones are German Johnsons, biggest one is about 12 oz. Little Leaf cukes and Calypso cukes. Made a large bowl of sliced cucumbers and onions covered in sour cream...a little paprika and some fresh garlic. Best to pop in the fridge for a few hours prior to devouring.........I love that dish! View attachment 66351
In the bowl on the right are more of the principes for drying and the smaller, light orange ones are SunGolds. They are sugary to begin with but when dried we are talking tomato candy!
I had to give up all dairy close to a year ago. I never thought I’d miss sour cream until I realized how good it was in dishes like that...and tacos without sour cream and cheese just ain’t the same. I’ve learned to really like cheeseless pizza, though.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Now its moving....tomorrow i am making a Nicoise Salad and cooking that squash for my wife. I have never tasted one out of the garden.

My dog goes NUTS for the green beans and peppers out of the garden. Now that she knows what they are i cant let her in there.
My wife and the dog ate the pepper and tomato but there are lots more. A bowl of red ones. Tomorrow morning i am making a big toasted tomato bacon and egger...mmmm

I am very happy i did this...and Covid was good for something....it kicked me in the ass just hard enough to get moving. And a body in motion tends to stay in motion.

IMG_1350.JPGIMG_1355.JPG

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I had to give up all dairy close to a year ago. I never thought I’d miss sour cream until I realized how good it was in dishes like that...and tacos without sour cream and cheese just ain’t the same. I’ve learned to really like cheeseless pizza, though.
I mostly gave up dairy in the early 90's. Switching to black coffee was a bitch, but I couldn't drink it any other way now.
Salad pizza rocks!

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Lotsa tomatoes coming in, but about 50% of my plants are shutting down after harvest, much heat stress. The plants in the more protected areas are still thriving. So far, I dried about 6 quarts.

Some very ripe tomatoes, cukes, onions, garlic with fresh basil and home made mozzarella balls covered w/ red wine vinaigrette.......a big bowl everyday! Yum.
I might dry the entire crop this year just to change it up a bit.

D

Deleted member 60

I mostly gave up dairy in the early 90's. Switching to black coffee was a bitch, but I couldn't drink it any other way now.
Salad pizza rocks!
Sounds like me and booze. LOL. The morning cofveve has never been the same without the Kahlua....

Shit is rockin here. I'll get some more pics when the Sun crests the hill.

We have been taking onions like crazy. Fuckers are all hardball size and up for the most part. the wife chops and vac seals/freezes the whites...i'm pickling the reds. The yellows were a bit lackluster. Will probably freeze those as well.

This is about 1/10th of what is out there. I've already put up 24 pints of pickled reds.

001.JPG
003.JPG

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Sounds like me and booze. LOL. The morning cofveve has never been the same without the Kahlua....

Shit is rockin here. I'll get some more pics when the Sun crests the hill.

We have been taking onions like crazy. Fuckers are all hardball size and up for the most part. the wife chops and vac seals/freezes the whites...i'm pickling the reds. The yellows were a bit lackluster. Will probably freeze those as well.

This is about 1/10th of what is out there. I've already put up 24 pints of pickled reds.

View attachment 68066
View attachment 68067
I gave up alcohol long before I had to give up dairy. I haven't had any alcohol in close to 15 years and I don't miss it one bit. It fucked up my gut so bad even when I didn't drink too much.