Vegetable Gardens ??

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I use weed killer anywhere but the garden when needed. It's interesting how when you kill an area determines what will grow back there.
Not sure what my main "weed" is this time, but it's short, had broad leaves and little blue flowers. Like I planted them on purpose.
Like this? I have this all over my property. It is totally a weed but it does look nice in big patches.
B8AF860D-6693-4F4C-98E7-0F8C6972B452.jpeg

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
I use weed killer anywhere but the garden when needed. It's interesting how when you kill an area determines what will grow back there.
Not sure what my main "weed" is this time, but it's short, had broad leaves and little blue flowers. Like I planted them on purpose.
Yeah I was looking at Willies weeds thinking shit are they actually weeds ? They look like boutique weeds if they are . Weeds where I live look like they came out of Witchie Poos garden

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I consider a weed something ugly and/or invasive. These haven't spread to the grass, or even parts of the soil where they didn't initially seed. So if they flower and go to seed, and come back next year I don't mind.
Anything in the way........is a weed. I just did some major weed wacking to try and stop the Fern onslaught. It was pretty juicy, lol. I tried out some square weed wacker line for the first time and nothing short of amazing. It cuts and lasts about 10x better than round line.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
A milk weed ? Right . Thats my Google quota burnt for the night then . I came on this forum to learn about weed and got the whole family . It’s a cool looking weed if anything
Asclepias family. The common milkweed.............a true weed, is where the Monarch Butterfly lays it's eggs. Won't do it on the one I have, but it will hit the flowers.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Asclepias family. The common milkweed.............a true weed, is where the Monarch Butterfly lays it's eggs. Won't do it on the one I have, but it will hit the flowers.
Am I off track or did it get the name from the white milk like sap that weeps from the stem when you cut them ? I know people that used to use the sap on warts and other skin irritations

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Am I off track or did it get the name from the white milk like sap that weeps from the stem when you cut them ? I know people that used to use the sap on warts and other skin irritations
That's the stuff. They bleed a latexy white sap. They make seed heads that burst open and each seed is attached to a feathery thing and they fly away.
Brings lots of pollinators.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Leave just one piece.....lol. Looks like it's in some decent dirt!
I had this really obnoxious weed in my front yard. Spread by roots and these dandelion type flowers. Dug the yard down 6" by hand and sifted every last smidget of root out of there. That sucked but that weed is gone. Never knew what it was either.