The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Bokashi is the MVP! Not only does it help with whatever is in your garden, it helps me with food waste. And worm bin has got me to start growing veggies and soon microgreens aswell.. It´s a big winwin and a life changer.
The entire living soil thing has been a game changer. I love the worm bins too. I'm rural so I was making trips to the dump once or twice a week - now my trash doesn't attract flies so it's whenever is convenient. I am growing vegetables that I don't even like because it's either good for the soil, or the worms will love it. They are getting a lot of root veggies this winter. They also get any sub-standard veggies and I don't feel bad cooking for me with just the prime cuts ;)

Shua1991

Really Active Member
Bokashi is the MVP! Not only does it help with whatever is in your garden, it helps me with food waste. And worm bin has got me to start growing veggies and soon microgreens aswell.. It´s a big winwin and a life changer.
I've been volunteering at a food bank for years now and only recently started composting the veg scraps we recieve, I can get like 200lbs per month of fruit, berries, salad that has started going bad.

I'm gonna invest in this Bokashi stuff today and see how it works. I've been wanting to go full organic, so I've got a backyard full of composting material and now I can use this for fermented feed product I suppose.
100% organic is my goal and this method seems to work indoors with winter, so that seems really convenient.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've been volunteering at a food bank for years now and only recently started composting the veg scraps we recieve, I can get like 200lbs per month of fruit, berries, salad that has started going bad.

I'm gonna invest in this Bokashi stuff today and see how it works. I've been wanting to go full organic, so I've got a backyard full of composting material and now I can use this for fermented feed product I suppose.
100% organic is my goal and this method seems to work indoors with winter, so that seems really convenient.
I use it as a soil amendment between runs just because it is storebought and I'm a stingy bastard and want it for my indoor plants. I haven't even done true bokashi composting. I love bringing the outdoor veggies and stuff in - but I hate bringing the outdoors bugs and such in, so worm bins are the ticket for a go between. I have a compost bin inside that's basically another worm bin. I add bokashi to it to keep the smell down but it has vents and so it's not the same as the kitchen compost thing. I add it if I see excess moisture on the lid, but not a ton of it.

I am trying my hand at making a bokashi product without buying that EM1. I have bokashi which has EM1 in it and grows mycelium with water and darkness. I did a ferment jar 2/3 full of ground up malted barley (not bran) that I soaked with some LAB and molasses water and about 1/8c of bokashi. I added a pinch of langbeinite for trace minerals and I am letting it go for a few weeks to see if it ferments. After that it gets dried out and we see if it has the same properties.

I have a few other ideas for recipes and all it needs to do is ferment and propagate that EM1. Might try adding some recharge, or some Big 6 micronutes from buildasoil or trying it with a lot more molasses/sugar. I want to be able to make it in bulk rather than buying it in bulk. None of it is hard work, just putting something on the calendar and remembering to do it.

Tvanmunhen

Just some dude

Thank you for volunteering. Food banks are a blessing and so are you for helping!

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk

That Bokashi reminds me of "corn silage". Has a similar aroma. Silage would most likely do the same thing as these "ferments" at a fraction of the cost.. I had been using Gro Kashi for 3 or 4 years. I decided I wasn't gonna use it anymore. Buying all this stuff adds up after awhile. I have a well established bed of living soil over the years and I do very little to it but add egg shells and bio char and burnt wood pcs etc.
It is full of worms by itself.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That Bokashi reminds me of "corn silage". Has a similar aroma. Silage would most likely do the same thing as these "ferments" at a fraction of the cost.. I had been using Gro Kashi for 3 or 4 years. I decided I wasn't gonna use it anymore. Buying all this stuff adds up after awhile. I have a well established bed of living soil over the years and I do very little to it but add egg shells and bio char and burnt wood pcs etc.
It is full of worms by itself.
Dude, my entire area is lush with worms of all varieties. I have thrown a selection in my indoor worm bins and only a few types survive. The big earthworms seem to disappear. But I sifted the vermi and the bottom collector area on both bins had a golfball size wad of worms writhing and procreating. I started with Uncle Jims but pretty sure these are all mine now ;). Outside I can just throw lawn clippings under a tree and I have a worm bin/compost pile.

Buying stuff is what I want to limit, but I am not short on cash - just hate paying for something my retired ass can do for free or that really isn't worth it for what they want to charge. I will try the bokashi I make and might give it one more go if that sucks. But that is the kind of thing I'll spend my weed-dollar on if needed. I have the "Bokashi Brothers" brand and it says "double-fermented with trace minerals" - but it has a toasted smell to it, almost like coffee. I wonder if they dry it at a higher temp or for longer after it's done? Anyway, a sack of that lasts a while and if mine doesn't produce results at least I tried.

Some kind of microbe boost like recharge and a mycorrhizal root innoculant like the VAM Endo and some of the stuff at buildasoil like the coconut water powder I'll keep buying mainly because they last a long time and you use very little. Both of those I think I would do fine without if necessary.

I am growing some barley and other grains small patches in the garden to see what thrives.I have a small sack of homemade assorted cover crop seeds, now I am working on stuff for homegrown sprout teas.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Big changes. Chopped the two Momma's this afternoon, then the other DeChempose was done tonight. This has more sweet than chem, but it has weight. Reminds me of growing that "superskunk" that had zero skunk funk. Not the smell you were expecting, but there's a lot of it... :unsure: Hope it's' good :cool:
IMG_1226.JPG
It has triploid nodes all over the place. On primary and secondary limbs.
IMG_1227.JPG
So the closet is now empty and waiting on these
IMG_1232.JPG
The rearranged tents look like this
IMG_1218.JPG
and this - until the Sangria Cookies chops in a day or two. When it rains it pours
IMG_1223.JPG
I believe the term is senescence ;)
IMG_1219.JPG
Milk everywhere just waiting on Amber. That bitch is always fucking up my groove. Might as well call it checking for Karens... :ROFLMAO:
IMG_1222.JPG
I have Granny's wardrobe almost packed to capacity. If they need more time I might have to move those shrunken dry ones to a lower spot or a rack above the hangers. Adding the new plants on the regular has slowed the drying on those little plants, which is rather good.
IMG_1233.JPG
I took one no-peek shot of the MAC1 x Orgi from underneath and it came out as expected
IMG_1234.JPG
But like when I'm looking for that bitch Amber all you need is a spot that's focused.
IMG_1234 (2).JPG

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Did some culling today. The Lemon Tree and The Cream clones are gone. The LT just because it needed more lemon, and TC because it is just real good smoke. Full cure it's nothing more special than other stuff I have. Definitely watching the rest of that pack close and it'll get dropped sooner rather than later, but I need to be selective.

The Momma Moonshine #4 flower clone got ditched because the short flower version just wasn't it. The other two MM's I have 2 each and all 4 are re-vegging nicely, as is the MAC1 x Orgi. The two little veg clones in that tray are the Cotton Candy Cookies and the Crazy Hazy. Just preservatioin because I haven't tried them.

Have you grown/tasted the cotton candy cookies before HAF? Sounds like a great tasting cross early on in legalistion i visited Washington state I tried an 1/8th of a cotton candy loved it but never seen it again

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Dude, my entire area is lush with worms of all varieties. I have thrown a selection in my indoor worm bins and only a few types survive. The big earthworms seem to disappear. But I sifted the vermi and the bottom collector area on both bins had a golfball size wad of worms writhing and procreating. I started with Uncle Jims but pretty sure these are all mine now ;). Outside I can just throw lawn clippings under a tree and I have a worm bin/compost pile.

Buying stuff is what I want to limit, but I am not short on cash - just hate paying for something my retired ass can do for free or that really isn't worth it for what they want to charge. I will try the bokashi I make and might give it one more go if that sucks. But that is the kind of thing I'll spend my weed-dollar on if needed. I have the "Bokashi Brothers" brand and it says "double-fermented with trace minerals" - but it has a toasted smell to it, almost like coffee. I wonder if they dry it at a higher temp or for longer after it's done? Anyway, a sack of that lasts a while and if mine doesn't produce results at least I tried.

Some kind of microbe boost like recharge and a mycorrhizal root innoculant like the VAM Endo and some of the stuff at buildasoil like the coconut water powder I'll keep buying mainly because they last a long time and you use very little. Both of those I think I would do fine without if necessary.

I am growing some barley and other grains small patches in the garden to see what thrives.I have a small sack of homemade assorted cover crop seeds, now I am working on stuff for homegrown sprout teas.
You are becoming an expert on the living soil food web. Your work reflects that.
You got that "retirement" drive going for you. lol
Plus the funds(if need be) to make your garden "top shelf" with all the bells and whistles.
Microbial environment,
After a lot of years doing this, there's been few products that actually made a difference in my garden.
The one that stands out from the rest that made a noticeable difference was "Mammoth P".
The price was like 50 bucks a liter back then and I thought that price was high, but damn, go and try to buy a liter and see what it costs today.
But it did work as claimed. There was an increase in quality and yield.
I used to use "Recharge" (25-$30.00)until I opened a bag one day and it smelled like fucking coffee grounds, so I looked up coffee grounds, come to find out, it adds Nitrogen to the soil. So the plants do perk up within 48 hrs as they claim on the bag. lol
Grokashi
feeds the anaerobic/O2 free bacteria (20 bucks/bag) Can take it or leave it or no longer need it.
Mammoth P. (150.00/liter) Liter goes a long way.
Recharge (30.00) Expensive cup of coffee (joking)
You get what you pay for.
There's a ton of BS products that do nothing, and some can make a good garden even better.
But, no matter how much you soak into it,
if your a shitty grower, you're sure to have a shitty garden. lol
I like "Build A Soil" guy's videos. Is he sponsored by "Coots"?
Never used any of his products, but he seems reasonable on his prices.
I wouldn't mind trying a few samples from him to see how well they work. (Because I'm poor as hell.)
Living soil is definitely the way to go, but often times, lazy and/or shitty growers will fuck that up too. lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Mammoth P. (150.00/liter) Liter goes a long way.
Recharge (30.00) Expensive cup of coffee (joking)
Mamoth P - mostly water with a little of the good stuff. I rarely buy liquids.
Recharge - I think the smell you're picking up is molasses. They use dehydrated molasses as a carrier for the real stuff.

But the Recharge is just one brand. One thing to consider is that with Recharge it is their main product. They can't afford to put out shit. The only thing on both of them is whether or not me adding LAB to something growing in my yard will produce the same results.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
But it did work as claimed. There was an increase in quality and yield.
On this part, I doubt that you can quantitatively say that it gave a better yield. Both quality and yield will increase with your experience more than any storebought product.
I used to use "Recharge" (25-$30.00)until I opened a bag one day and it smelled like fucking coffee grounds, so I looked up coffee grounds, come to find out, it adds Nitrogen to the soil. So the plants do perk up within 48 hrs as they claim on the bag.
I have my soil to a place that my plants look pretty damn happy all the time. I honestly have yet to see my plants perk up from Recharge any more than they do with just water. I do have faith that there are things going on in the soil that we can't see. If the microbes and such in the recharge are those proven to be beneficial to weed, I have no problem re-inocculating it once or twice a month.

I water my entire set-up with 5 gallons or less at a time. A 1000ml watering pitcher is the most any 5g pot will get. So they get watered regularly to make sure the soil stays moist, but the amount they get is based on pot-weigh. The money I am saving on new soil, nutes and pH stuff more than compensates for me getting an 8oz sack of recharge (or a similar product) once a year.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Got the first DeChempose by Covert Genetics jarred. 9 days on the dry and I ended up with about a zip and a half. This had triploid stuff everywhere too. Pretty good ratio of bud to larf. The larf is what I hit this morning and it's nice. I took no clones but I think this may go into my "chem rotation" of beans. Since I know I like the chem I have a variety of packs with some form of it and I plan to keep the chem jars full.

It's real hairy but didn't burn harsh. You can see the sugar coating just under them but it gives the impression of mids. To be clear, this harvested because of late nanners but I was already checking trichs. The second one I just chopped was done - and I found one nanner poking out while I was defoliating it. So it can't go too long, but the nanner was saying it's done.
IMG_1235.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I went in both tents in the dark to make sure and there's nothing to even give a light leak unless it's a light with an LED diode that doesn't shut off. Might be something to me keeping everything healthy to the point that it can late nanner if it is so inclined? It has been very strain oriented towards the stinky stuff. And I have been growing a lot of that.

Maybe there is just something to specific lines being prone to it? So far the only thing I have had to take down and trash was a Space Queen from Dominion that had nanners pop out of every flower about week 5. Definitely a genetic thing there. The rest have been on trich-watch and are/were smoked with good results. The nanner was just the deciding factor instead of the percentage of ambers I was seeing. But they all had ambers.