The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
On the castings/compost - when I sift out the bins it's through the 1/4" and mainly gets the worms out with all the uncomposted bedding. I keep a tote of each now that I do them separate. The veg-bin stuff is mainly for re-working the soil. When the plants are first stuck in the pots they'll be in a veg growth stage until a few weeks after flip. A good alfalfa sprout tea with some kelp in veg is about all they need.

The flower-bin stuff is general purpose. I'll sift some castings out when I need to top dress, but as is it's perfect for starting veggies in the little 2" and 4" pots. Add a little pumice and some bio-char and you have potting soil. It's already full of rice hulls in various stages of decomposition.

When I mix up a big batch of food for them (once a week) they get mostly the same stuff as far as ground up rice and veggiee scraps and coffee grounds, some rock dust and such. Then I split that in half. I put some fruit and/or berry stuff in the flower-bin, some kelp and alfalfa meal (or Dr. Earths Compost Starter)

Whenever I do the Recharge or LAB I'll set aside a splash for each bin.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've been trimming up a plant every morning for a few days. Today was the Cheesecake Smoothie auto from @Bobberr and @High kev. A 2g pot and zero expectations and I got a good represetation of what could be there if I put effort into figuring out autos. Since I am just testing these I cleaned the entire plant instead of saying "fuck it, hash!" and it was 20g.

The bud leaves that were there were thin blade and picked off easy and probably wouldn't matter much just grinding and smoking them with the flowers. Each nug had a little separation from the main stem, so snipping at each node to get the nugs off was easy, basically it's an easy trim plant. What interested be was that when I looked at the pile of stems they all had the pistillate calyxes at most of the nodes. IMG_1272.JPG
I took the back of the scissors and brushed them into that tray. My theory is that those showed up first and have to be the ripest on the plant.
IMG_1271.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's my other theory. All the stories you hear about pruning auto's and effecting yield shouldn't matter to me. The stuff in the bottom of the tray is all larf. Little dense nuggets, but mostly pea-sized if it wasn't one of the tops.

I don't care about yield.

The next drop of autos (whenever that is) I am pruning away larf early to see what happens. I would rather have a half bag of good tops than an whole bag of assorted quality.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Here's my other theory. All the stories you hear about pruning auto's and effecting yield shouldn't matter to me. The stuff in the bottom of the tray is all larf. Little dense nuggets, but mostly pea-sized if it wasn't one of the tops.

The next drop of autos (whenever that is) I am pruning away larf early to see what happens. I would rather have a half bag of good tops than an whole bag of assorted quality.
thanks for the insight @H.A.F.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
thanks for the insight @H.A.F.
We'll see if it works. If the biggest issue with auto's is yield then I have no issues. But since there's also an issue with bud density that's something I can play with. And I'm sure being given free beans to run they'd rather see me do something with them than nothing LOL - might as well learn something too ;)

The top on each stem were pretty nice, and the main cola was rock solid. So I know the potential is there. I have the closet back for a veg area which is the only decent powered light I could use for a completely 18/6 grow, and that clogs up me flipping plants.

:unsure: but the closet could do the seedlings if I dim the light a bit, and then the 1g when I get ready for flip. Which leaves the mini tent open for about six 2g pots... Hmmmmm

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Growing random assortments of veggies makes the morning harvest pretty fun. That first flush of Royal Burgundy beans I picked a little early because that's supposed to make it produce more. I get a pocket full of those "candyland" tomatoes every day. There's almost no seeds in them so by weight they are actually more productive than the other seed-filled cherries. The big one is a heirloom cherry that is full of fruit but refuses to ripen. The vine is heavy.The yellows are Honeycomb, and are sweet - not prolific. I think a chipmunk tunneled through the root system though. The peppers are a Mexi-bell that's a pimento shape, and has a little heat. Heat you could still use in spaghetti, but would fit in chili too. I had to thin radishes and that one had a little meat. A watermelon radish that isn't near done. Probably worm food :)
IMG_1275.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The thing I am seeing on the beans is that they will ripen in waves. That's from about 10 plants, and is about enough for a side dish for one.
I have no clue what beans are going to do well, but that's fuck the government food ;) 'Maters are cool, but beans will feed you. So I'm getting about half the catalog of their beans next year and doing a row of each and save some of the best beans to plant next year.

I doubt I'll stop buying seeds, but like with the weed it's good to have a few reliable standards in the magazine.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'lln get a pic before I take it out of the tent, But I'm pulling the Rock Island Rocket tonight. Last night the leaves looked harsh, and I don't want to leave an unhealthy plant in there with the rest. It was a flower clone, and has been in the pot way too long. But tomorrow is 9 weeks so I'll get a good taste of it. I think the lowers are pretty much done but the tops are foxtailing a bit.

However, I have a pack of those beans among about 20 others of CLG store-bought and testers that I need to run or run again now that I can grow good weed. I am back to dropping a set of beans every month, and I'm thinking I'll clear one old pack of randoms out with germ rates questionable and culling very likely. Then three each of a few regs. Three from JJ, three from the hoard of SHN gear, and three of some other fire I have been dying to run from wherever. The fems will get a showing or two, and that should round out a tent once everything sexes.

The next sets of old gear are all from Mr. Nice with some old school stuff in it. Depending on what pops all male from this DAGGA drop I may select one of those for the other three on the next following drop. I just want to taste everything, then run the rest of the pack or whatever later looking to see if there's a keeper.

p.s. I'm really high..

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If you do the cordless lawn-tools, Greenworks has a "FIREWORK" discount for 25%.

Specifically with gardening in mind I picked up a 14" deck lawnmower for between rows 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:
I already have the charger and a spare battery so the tool-only was a steal

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member

me i'am a little slow gettin things rolling but my soil is wayy better for the change, than store bought. thanks ! worms have now taken the mulch pile over, and have started to show in veggie garden barrels.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That Lemon Tree from @Heisenbeans is about 10-days in and getting it jarred I kept out a taste. Super frosty like the Sangria Cookies, but it's not lemon. It has a warm buttery caramel smell and smokes smooth as hell. It reminds me of a few other not-lemon strains I have tried but I can't think of it off-hand. The LT is basically a kush/hashplant so it was probably some other kush I've grown.

I have a handful left and I know the lemon is in there, so this might be another keeper pheno when I get to that point. So far there hasn't been a bad plant, but only one of three had that lemon pledge gas

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Two other things on the Lemon Tree. It's like time-wreck weed. I was reading something and zoned out and my alarm went off for the lights. Took me a minute to remember AM or PM... And the glove hash was strangely like glove dry-sift. I could not do the thing where you pinch your fingers and get it all to stick to one finger. It was tacky but didn't stick together. I let the gloves dry and the stuff flaked off in brown dust. Like super-amber kief instead of gummed up finger-hash.