The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So far I see nothing about the Hippie Crippler that resembles anything I have read on the interwebz. It says things like "clone only" and "hard to grow" etc. They make it sound finicky like the MAC.
IMG_7499.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If you were to grow that G13HP again how would you go about it? You mentioned the lollipop-ping didn’t go great?

Just curious because Turp forwarded us a couple clones as well from SCJedi! :D
Awesome stuff!

Well, mine didn't stretch at all. so the easiest thing would be to veg longer. But I will be selective on the shoots I prune. Like, maybe take them from every other node starting at the bottom, or do a "marching" thing where you take left-right-left-right (one per node) just to make trimming easier at harvest.

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
Awesome stuff!

Well, mine didn't stretch at all. so the easiest thing would be to veg longer. But I will be selective on the shoots I prune. Like, maybe take them from every other node starting at the bottom, or do a "marching" thing where you take left-right-left-right (one per node) just to make trimming easier at harvest.
Okay, thank you so much, I totally get you! She does seem very stout with minimal room between nodes :) Stoked for some soup can colas haha!

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Okay, thank you so much, I totally get you! She does seem very stout with minimum room between nodes :) Stoked for some soup can colas haha!
If you limit the number of tops you'll still get those ;) I flipped right at 30 days, so I pretty much had nothing but the "stack" for buds. There were a few nodes under the tops that plumped into it because there was no stretch. That was all I wanted to limit.

It should get fat tops from all the post-flip growth on the tops. It's the stuff under it that was the issue - for me - for trimming. Only because I know the weight will be roughly the same no matter how you prune it if you keep basically the same amount of flower sites.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
There's about 6" of stretch between nodes, but the flower-sites aren't stretching, staying tight. Beautiful leaves but they aren't too "shady", drinking like fish. They just got the "big feed" on the schedule so they should start stacking nice in a few days.

Conclusion - Hillbilly Bob's Hippie Crippler ain't your grandpa's Hippie Crippler ;)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If you're wondering, I just noticed that there's no stretch at all on the flower sites.
I have noticed and mentioned that it is an easy grow, but didn't put the two together.
IMG_7501.JPG
Each of those flower site has it's own fan leaves, but because they aren't stretching they aren't pumping out more nodes and leaves and shoots that need defoliating/pruning.

Set it and forget it weed :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Another thing on the Hippie Crippler is that it's sturdy. After topping them for 4 limbs, I haven't done any LST. Those are topped, then au natural. I think that I'll be supporting them for weight later if they need anything.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Mystery plants and @J.James Banana Hash Plant fem.
Drooping again so I gave them a good soaking, topped, and the mystery plants will be ready to flip in no time.
IMG_7503.JPG
Two of the three mystery plants had Jolly Rancher colored sap when I topped them. First for me!
IMG_7504.JPG
The BHP is a shrub :) Look at the two little sprouts popping at the bottom where I already pruned one :)
IMG_7508.JPG
Since I know it's female I bumped her into 2-gallon until she's ready to flip. The way the "Covid's" are drinking, if the sprouts don't stretch like the main stem did they'll get new shoes next time as well.
IMG_7510.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Hells Angels OG x Skunky VA (Chemdog91 x Skunky Brewster) from @Schwaggy P
Nice! This seed was a skunk leaner that smells like the skunk that ain't skunky. Now that I am learning more, I can pick out that menthol from the Northern Lights, which I know is one of all skunk moms. This is like the 'sticky bud' back in the day. Take the keif catcher off the grinder. Not needed. This is not as dense as the 4th Gear but similar In buzz. It would go into that "all day weed" category where it will probably fit whatever mood you're in.

I am definitely a fan, and since it was the biggest of all the harvests even without the top, it'll be a while before I need to replace it.
IMG_7512.JPG

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Mystery plants and @J.James Banana Hash Plant fem.
Drooping again so I gave them a good soaking, topped, and the mystery plants will be ready to flip in no time.
View attachment 58328
Two of the three mystery plants had Jolly Rancher colored sap when I topped them. First for me!
View attachment 58329
The BHP is a shrub :) Look at the two little sprouts popping at the bottom where I already pruned one :)
View attachment 58330
Since I know it's female I bumped her into 2-gallon until she's ready to flip. The way the "Covid's" are drinking, if the sprouts don't stretch like the main stem did they'll get new shoes next time as well.
View attachment 58331
Ya that is a first for me too. In almost 25 yrs of growing ive never seen any redish pink sap ooze out the stem after being topd..? Wild shit.. Wonder what it is and why that happens.?
I have had buds at the end of flower that oozed a sap substance from a calayx. But never anything like that...
Maybe its happened to another grower and they can chime in on why it happened to yours..
Very interesting.. Thx✌

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Ya that is a first for me too. In almost 25 yrs of growing ive never seen any redish pink sap ooze out the stem after being topd..? Wild shit.. Wonder what it is and why that happens.?
Pretty sure it's strain related. Looks like I have a mom leaner and two dad leaners, or vice versa. It was the shorter of the three with regular sap, so that fits the theory as well.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The tall Hippie Crippler are starting to stack
IMG_7520.JPGIMG_7521.JPG
And since they look healthy I am getting creative on some of the pruning on the runt.
IMG_7526.JPG
I prune the lower shoots for the last time about now (when they first show pistils) with one more round in a week or so if anything looks like a waste of nutes.
On the shortest of the 4 I took one from each node all the way up to the asymmetric part.IMG_7528.JPG

Since I only have the one G13 Genius going I was gentler on the pruning.
IMG_7527.JPG
On some of them I topped the shoots at two nodes instead of just removing them. They may go completely later. IMG_7529.JPG
And I definitely have room for the Covids to flip. I might do a little sea of green with the clones instead of vegging out one plant if I keep this much open space.
IMG_7530.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm playing with this mini-seed-cup thing, and it seems to be working, but I got impatient. I up-potted the DBB a little before I should but it seems to be fine. I used it as a test subject because it was taller, and needed 'support soil' around the stem.

The red stain stayed on the top of the two plants, one is darker than the other, but they seem fine.
IMG_7516.JPG
And this is a crappy pic, but the clones seem to be showing a little new veg. Flower Clones is the only version I have done and I have picked up a few tricks. They talk about "crazy growth" on the internet, but don't explain it well.
IMG_7518.JPG
Out of each node you'll get a shoot (or not) and it'll have weird leaves. I tried both topping the flowers off and not, and it really doesn't matter.
Each of those shoots is what has the crazy growth. They put out leaf after leaf with very little or no node-space in between, and each will put out its own shoot.
Once this starts (about a month from snip) getting all those leaves and shoots pruned near the stem is a must or it will be a crowded (potentially moldy) mess.
It works well to stretch the shoots you keep sideways and prune them like a mainline/manifold so you can keep the middle cleaned out. It will put more shoots out until you harvest if you don't.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The '88G13 x Hashplant from @SCJedi are dense. I like that - frosty too.
And there are definitely 2 phenos. The knobby one (top 4) stayed greener, has zero larf, and less actual nug-sites. 46g dry
IMG_7545.JPG
The other one is darker, pistils more brown than orange and the larf in the pic is from the extra lower limbs it had or the fact that they 'stretched' an extra node when the other plant started plumping. 45g dry
IMG_7546.JPG
I kept out the pea-gravel nuggies to try in the morning. Has a real sharp spice/citrus smell for now. Ground up it should be interesting.
These won't get tried until cured :)
IMG_7547.JPG