The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
After the black widow, I have 2 more batches of keif without getting into buds.
I have it separated differently. Trim kief from harvest, and flower(cured)keif from buds and the grinder.
IMG_5640.JPG
When I tackle these two I am going working it when it's still warm from the decarb.
IMG_5641.JPG
For now I am making stuff to smoke, not save. With my surplus I am also going to freeze a quarter bag or a half to make hash out of them to lock up for a while.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Basically I want to find an easy process that works [for me] before I start destroying flowers for hash.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Have you tried the dry ice method? I use it for all my sugar leafs and trim. Works great
I haven't had easy access to dry ice. I saw that on a weed cooking show once. I think I'm past trying to get better at getting the keif. I'm trying to perfect what to do with it after :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@J.James - I just froze my first buds to get hash from. I was surprised at how well they crumbled and how fine it was with no effort. I ran that stuff through a kitchen sifter first and there was basically just stems left.

I put that on the sift screen (120m) and I set a little 4-pronged back massagers ($4.99 at Walmart LOL) right on the screen and ran it for a minute. No cards or scraping, just collecting what broke off when I crumbled it. This was basically full melt. No veg.

I collected that, then ran the rest like regular dry sift. I have a 220m bubble bag stretched over a sewing hoop. I rub it around with my hand, scrape the crumbs away with a card, and see what the white to green ratio was. doesn't take long on the 220m for it to be mostly green.

Then I run that through the 120m again. It usually has a little more veg in it, but the quantity was about equal to the first run. The veg is pretty much a kitchen spice at that point. Gook in spaghetti :)

Just working on processing it onto proper hash like I have sampled abroad.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
12/12 Day 1
No one was mad about the extra sleep :) IMG_5693.JPGIMG_5694.JPG

These are each getting a little water as they need it and are all drinking. A couple still look like some island palm trees growing sideways before growing up.
IMG_5695.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Day 1 for these - 3 nubs and a tail ;)
IMG_5714.JPG
Just in case the heat mat was part of the problem I am only using it while the dome is closed and I am trying to keep the rH high. All 5 little guys were dry and light, and got soaked. Should be ready for repot in a few days.
IMG_5716.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The sewing hoop works good enough that I cut the rest of the bag out of the way. I thought the plastic ones would be better, but they're slick. If you tighten it up too much it starts squeezing them apart. Since I know it works I think I'll get the wooden ones.
IMG_5704.JPG
the metal screen is 120m, the bag is 73m. Just sifting the 73 like this everything also falls through the 120 with a few taps so I can use the glass under it for collecting the fine stuff.
IMG_5707.JPG
I recommend feeling the mesh every once in a while. It can look clean but be sticky.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What I have found is that using the 220 bag first is the key whether its bubble, dry ice or dry-sift. The reason I don't like bubble is that you have to "classify" it wet. Multiple bags and a big mess.

On "Bong Appetit" they used the jar about half full of busted up buds, put the dry ice n the jar, and used the jar ring to fasten some mesh over the top.

With the dry keif once you have it collected you can keep sifting it to get the good stuff.

Just running stuff through the same 120m screen a second time more gently will get most of the veg out.

Where do you get the dry ice?

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
What I have found is that using the 220 bag first is the key whether its bubble, dry ice or dry-sift. The reason I don't like bubble is that you have to "classify" it wet. Multiple bags and a big mess.

On "Bong Appetit" they used the jar about half full of busted up buds, put the dry ice n the jar, and used the jar ring to fasten some mesh over the top.

With the dry keif once you have it collected you can keep sifting it to get the good stuff.

Just running stuff through the same 120m screen a second time more gently will get most of the veg out.

Where do you get the dry ice?
Local grocery store. Some Wal-Marts also carry it. Would be at the front of the store by the service desk

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Local grocery store. Some Wal-Marts also carry it. Would be at the front of the store by the service desk
Cool, thanks. Pretty rural so I doubt it but I'll check. If it's easy to get I love the idea.

Random question. I always kept the seed-cups in the dark for a few days before I put them under light. I put todays right under it rather than putting something over it for darkness. Is the dark part a plant thing, or a not wasting electricity thing?

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Cool, thanks. Pretty rural so I doubt it but I'll check. If it's easy to get I love the idea.

Random question. I always kept the seed-cups in the dark for a few days before I put them under light. I put todays right under it rather than putting something over it for darkness. Is the dark part a plant thing, or a not wasting electricity thing?
Not wasting electricity. On the dry ice, just call and ask if they carry it. If they ask you what you use it for, tell them you use it to keep food cold on long trips. You might get lucky like I did and they will save it for you for free from their weekly delivery

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Not wasting electricity. On the dry ice, just call and ask if they carry it. If they ask you what you use it for, tell them you use it to keep food cold on long trips. You might get lucky like I did and they will save it for you for free from their weekly delivery
Thanks for both. I don't even mind paying for it if they have it. I think the butcher might be another option.

I was thinking about ways to hide the seed cups from the dark - and realized it was just one of those things I did as part of the checklist. Didn't care until I had to think of something special to "dark" them in the tent, or have another growing area and had that ah-ha moment.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
use it to keep food cold on long trips.
Just saw that it is great for removing old tile floors. Spread it on and it freezes the adhesive and the tiles. Separates them. Much more plausible story than my hermit-ass taking food on a trip :ROFLMAO:

Good for party kegs without having to dump water.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm not planning on doing any pruning while the kids are going through puberty. But I am keeping out for a few to try and prune back to a single cola. Never done that.

I don't want a lollipop with a big nug on top. So I am thinking about just topping any shoots at the first node all the way up. And if any of those secondary shoots get a second node before it starts really flowering, top those too.

I want it to look like a tall skinny Christmas tree. and keep everything within the diameter of the 3 gallon pot they end up in. I think a tree-farm looking tent would be cool.