The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'll toss this disclaimer in here just because.

I don't do much social media. This and bookface is pretty much it., so this forum is the only outlet for weed discussion. When I post stuff, if anyone sees anything screwy with my plans speak up! That's why I post it!

I am a new grower relatively. Just 2 years, and the first 6 months were just learning. But I am comfortably retired, and with a crop rotation have had about 20 separate harvests. The plants I am starting now are the first time I have started from scratch [clean rooms, nothing but seedlings]. Prior to that I have chopped a plant or two every month.

Other than house/land upkeep and improvement - and living - this is all I do. My play money has gone exclusively to producing quality meds with the least expense/time/effort. So the experience factor is really subjective/relative compared to growing years. I also don't mind trying and failing, or learning new stuff.

In short, with forum help my grows have been progressively more successful to the point I am now growing for fun and variety. Most of my choices now are based on getting a quick (but well grown) taste of everything. I usually end up with more than I planned, but the goal is just an easier grow. Less light intensity, prettier plants, etc.

Oh - I should also add - In Vino Weedo Veritas - There is truth in the flower!weed.jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Had to cull the OBS. when I dumped it it only had 3 little roots. I think adding the neem seed meal to the seed starter soil might be a bit much?
IMG_5586.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The others are alive but not thriving. I unplugged the heat mat to see if they get better or worse.
IMG_5587.JPG
Everything else is cool.
IMG_5588.JPG
The two older ones (Blueberry Biscuits), and maybe others will get pruned and maybe topped next watering. The bottom shoots always go for me, then I want the 4 shoots I keep to at least have their own leaves opening up.
IMG_5589.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
1580734631719.png

So this is why I took decision making out of the process. These are strains I have yet to try. Top of the list is growing now. Second part is next drop, third part (OBS for now) will be joined by the males I cull to get run again. If anyone knows about the Chucker's DCP, lemme know ;)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Oh, except the two blueberries that are in the tent. They were a tester run, no more seeds. Still debating whether or not to run the Blueberry Freeze F2's as a test run or just keep them in the rotation.

And @macsnax , that was the other question I had about the DDB F2's - They are listed as orphans for now ;)

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Oh, except the two blueberries that are in the tent. They were a tester run, no more seeds. Still debating whether or not to run the Blueberry Freeze F2's as a test run or just keep them in the rotation.

And @macsnax , that was the other question I had about the DDB F2's - They are listed as orphans for now ;)
Lol they are cookies n chem x purple stardawg, nice lineup ^^ amigo

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Had to cull the OBS. when I dumped it it only had 3 little roots. I think adding the neem seed meal to the seed starter soil might be a bit much?
Neem can heat up your mix, It has a lot of nitrogen in it. How much did you add?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@J.James - was worried about gnats, but maybe the cups ain't the time to mess with that. I'll mix what's left of that batch with my regular soil and keep the seed mix pure. The first ones were in it but it's the same batch of soil.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Random stoner tidbit. I love when you've been trying to place an odd weed smell, and you finally figure it out.

ILGM Bruce Banner has a weird fresh smell. Not like anything plant-y. More like new car or something. I was unwrapping some brand new vinyl pond-liner (like in my closet floor) and I found it!

Not new car, because there's no leather, dangly pine-tree air freshener, or anything like that. But if you open up something made of vinyl or maybe some plastic it has that smell. Like if you open one of those inflatable kiddie pools.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Random stoner tidbit. I love when you've been trying to place an odd weed smell, and you finally figure it out.

ILGM Bruce Banner has a weird fresh smell. Not like anything plant-y. More like new car or something. I was unwrapping some brand new vinyl pond-liner (like in my closet floor) and I found it!

Not new car, because there's no leather, dangly pine-tree air freshener, or anything like that. But if you open up something made of vinyl or maybe some plastic it has that smell. Like if you open one of those inflatable kiddie pools.
Nothing like finally putting your finger on a smell, I'm terrible at nose descriptions lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Neem can heat up your mix, It has a lot of nitrogen in it. How much did you add?
1 tbsp. per gallon - BUT - this is the extra I mixed up the for the first run. It had been damp, but got back to mostly dry before I used it.

So it had the neem meal fermenting, infusing, permeating, whatever - in the soil for an extra few weeks. It was kept in cool but it had the growth on the soil I asked you about. While that stuff is fine, it shows there was enough time for other stuff to be going on in the soil too.

And I still have a little left that's bone dry I would probably have used or added to for next drop.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So that might not be THE issue, but it's the only thing that makes sense. They all popped quick then hit a speed bump.

No more neem in starter soil. That might have been what made the first batch seem slow.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
These got water on the 31st. I made RO to water them yesterday. They still don't need it, pots are still fairly heavy.
IMG_5592.JPG
They each got 250ml at transplant, and another 250ml 4 days ago. That's it. About 2 cups of water.
But since they are babies, to me that just means they aren't ready for a soaking. The roots aren't populating the pots enough to drain it in 3 days.

So FOR ME - I don't let them go that long without water. Today was going to be the first feeding and soaking. Soaking will be next time, but they are all getting fed anyway, just another cup or two of water for each. Lights out is at noon and I usually feed them a few hours before lights out.

But in this instance I'll evenly water the top of the soil, instead of just around the edge of the pot.
IMG_5593.JPG
And since this is plant day, I am going to repot these 12-day-old fails and see if I can save any. I added a little water this morning to a few, by weight. They have been drying out in between but I think it may have been mostly the heat mat. Just going into a slightly larger pot with plain soil. IMG_5591.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since I have basically written off the 5 seedlings, now I can learn stuff.
I started with about an inch of dry soil in the bottom. I used a squirt bottle and sprayed it with about 10 squirts of plain RO so there is some water where the roots will land.
IMG_5594.JPG
I de-cupped them, then gently squeezed the soil just enough to loosen it up.
IMG_5595.JPG
shifted it from hand to hand, letting the loose dirt fall off.
IMG_5596.JPG
Roots on damp soil :) duh.
IMG_5597.JPG
I prop it up gently where I want it, then gradually added dry soil until it was propped up. I use my hand to cover the leaves so no soil gets on them.
IMG_5598.JPG
Squirted the top with another 5-10 sprays of water (not spraying the plant) to seal it in place.
IMG_5599.JPG
A few looked salvagable, a couple had started getting skinny right around soil level (damping off?) so anything is better than nothing.
IMG_5600.JPG
Got the dirty work out of the way, now I get to water the happy plants :)

Last edited:

Punisher84

Just some asshole
Since I have basically written off the 5 seedlings, now I can learn stuff.
I started with about an inch of dry soil in the bottom. I used a squirt bottle and sprayed it with about 10 squirts of plain RO so there is some water where the roots will land.
View attachment 47273
I de-cupped them, then gently squeezed the soil just enough to loosen it up.
View attachment 47274
shifted it from hand to hand, letting the loose dirt fall off.
View attachment 47275
Roots on damp soil :) duh.
View attachment 47276
I prop it up gently where I want it, then gradually added dry soil until it was propped up.
View attachment 47277
Squirted the top with another 5-10 sprays of water (not spraying the plant) to seal it in place.
View attachment 47278
A few looked salvagable, a couple had started getting skinny right around soil level (damping off?) so anything is better than nothing.
View attachment 47279
Got the dirty work out of the way, now I get to water the happy plants :)
I watered my transplant soil a day prior to doing it this time. Worked much better. Little to no shock.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I watered my transplant soil a day prior to doing it this time. Worked much better. Little to no shock.
For the small ones I spray the roots before I dunk them in new soil :) Make sure the water is primo though, pH'd and all.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This was the fun stuff that should start your day.
When I mix and pH a feed, I immediately divide it up so all have roughly the same ratio of junk in it. If it settles, it's still in there.
IMG_5602.JPG
Like the guy in the watering video said - if you are watering, you can't over-water. Overwatering is only watering too often, not too much at one time. But because these are still young I just did 400ml (400ppm of food junk in it) I now have 2 groups of plants, completely unrelated to when they were dropped.
IMG_5603.JPG
The front seven all had either one or two nodes of leaves and shoots removed. Single-blade node on all, and the 3-blade on most. The Blue Eyes are short and stocky and growing quick, and the 3-blade shoots were nice and thick. So these should be ready for topping and flip in a few days.
IMG_5604.JPG
These three has little or no shoots yet. The food will hopefully change that.
But everything is happy, including ME 😎 IMG_5605.JPG