The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Been at it for 2 hours, two tarps full of soil jostled around for mixing, and the decision to come up with a "one-pot-amendment" so I can sift and ammend each pot or a few as they get done instead of big batch. I have a few culls and 9 definite girls to up-pot, and Homecoming Queen who's partner showed balls a few days ago. I'll take the chance that it's a slow-show girl and giver her a pot. I have 4 undecideds, and tThree of the four are the Pam Anderson so that seems a legit strain trait to show slower and no indicator of anything. The 4th is the third John Lemon, and its two pack-mates are culled. The late show there may get her a pot too, but I'll be marking a few to watch close, probably have them in The Stones tent separate.

First tarp filled 10 5g pots about halfway. The second got a little craft blend and some compost and ended up about the same volume as the first batch. There's an 18g and two 8g totes full of that.

I think the 10 pots of aged soil will get split into the 14 pots I may need, then use a little more of the newer stuff to fill in during the transplant. Even if I don't pot the Pam's the pot will be ready for those that show girly bits.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's what I have left in veg. After re-potting the other 2g's I know I have a few weeks at least before I need to worry about the Dogma, GMO Cake and Lemon Tree. The center square is the survivor mystery bean and the 5 Deep Chunk in the back. Leaf pruning is first since they don't have the stretch for LST.
IMG_3697.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What a difference a new pot and a few days makes. The Deep Chunk are finally growing a little.
IMG_3709.JPG
The front three still haven't shown, and the right CP is looking dude-ish.
IMG_3710.JPG
But I have a few girls here that are just starting to show, so a yank and replace will be fine for one
IMG_3711.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Things seem to be going fairly slowly. I have the three little plants looking male but not enough to kill them. Stones are close and the trees from this drop outstretched the 4-topin the other tent.
IMG_3731.JPGb
Except for the shorty Thunderhole. One of the two Chem Power was a male snd got replaced with a Pam Anerson - like changing a tire. took about a minute and no mess.
IMG_3729.JPG
An the CLHP is any day now. it has ambers, just waiting fr it to look right.
IMG_3737.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have a 9 plant mini jungle in veg that's gonna get more topping and training, and/or lollipopping of lower stuff to get some spread before the nugs start. The three in 2 gallons are ready to flip. Nothing seems pissed about having to wait while I sort it out.
IMG_3742.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Had company all weekend so I have been garrdening but not taking pics and whatnot. None of the three little pots were girls, and I harvested the older CLHP and 2 of The Stones at 9 weeks. That prompted rearranging and getting some of the veg tent plants ready to graduate to flip. I now have this and am getting an itch to drop beans.

The Stones had one early chop for nanners, two 9-weekers, and a crispy one left that should have had a bigger pot and would have gone longer more peacefully. The inner stuff is ripe but it is going for round two of pollen-catchers uniformly all over. It's rootbound and I have to let it suck up water from the tray after it's gone through. Not bad though. I think a 7g pot would have been tits. She'll go until the leaves fall off or he nanners. Definitely castings next watering.
IMG_3752.JPG
She's in here with the Chemdog and CLHP, and the tall trees from the recent flip.
IMG_3760.JPG
The 4/6-tops and the runty T-hole tree
IMG_3759.JPG
And this is now veg until I flip them all. The 2g's got topped and the Deep Chunk lost all the lowest nodes and leaves. Just looking for spread before I flip, but also some time in better light.
IMG_3757.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Notes for lights-on.
The mystery plant lower right needs a flip. Not sure if it's reg or fem so it's a reg... But I can just slide it in a flower tent as is.
The Deep Chunk need another few days then I get done waiting. Also regs.
IMG_3757.JPG
The 2g are the Lemon Tree and GMO Cake which are fems from @Heisenbeans and they just got their last topping to even the canopy. A few days and they flip too, but they automatically get big pots. And the Dogma. It's a reg that already showed me some girly bits. All three are quality smoke sight unseen unless something goes sideways with the grow.

I want to see how close the second Dogma is to the first. I don't know if I am hoping for more of the same or maybe see what else if hiding in there. I think the one in my jar leans Trinity and it fucks me up. I'd like to see a chemdog version which could only be better.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Mystery plant flipped and hiding in the back corner. No clue the reason but stuff has been very hesitant to show and has had some pre-flowers that could go either way, so until I see puffballs I'm ready to cull. Most of these are/were 6-tops, because I left the 3-toed node then the next two. I removed any lower nodes on those limbs, and removed a couple completely where ones side was no4rmal and the other runty. Those are handy for corner plants :cool:
IMG_3762.JPG
The two Stones I have hanging smell like the Zkittles I grew. Sweet, berry, candy, etc. The last one I'm letting go until it nanners or gets ripe. I have been removing main trunk fan leaves on the trees if they touch a top when they're not praying. Not worried about shade much, but I don't like them being crowded. So far so good on the Chemdog not consuming itself. I think the added compost at transplant helped out. Very lush and dark green. For re-cap purposes that bean was dropped in September and never wanted to grow. Didn't flip until mid-December.
IMG_3760.JPG
This will flip any day. I am just looking for the recently topped limbs to start putting out good shoots. I may go with 3g plastic pots for the little DC's. I think I need something sturdy to LST from, and I don't think they need that much more soil. Depends on how many girls and which ones I guess. I took 4-6 big leaves off each chunker, and I'm taking a few more next watering. They obviously are not helping the plant grow tall, so maybe if I force the limbs to feed themselves they'll grow.
IMG_3763.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
2 days ago I put a tsp of alfalfa seeds in a cup to sprout. That got blendered and mixed with to 2g of water for the veg plants with some kelp. Soaked it for several hours stirring occasionally then strained.

I did the same with 2 tbsp of barley for 4g of water for the plants in flower. I added some bat guano to that.

I used a wide-mesh strainer so that the sediment that can go through my watering can stayed - worm treats. I just stir the bucket every time I fill the watering can.

Last edited:

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
2 days ago I put a tsp of alfalfa seeds in a cup to sprout. That got blendered and mixed with to 2g of water for the veg plants with some kelp. Soaked it for several hours stirring occasionally then strained.

I did the same with 2 tbsp of barley for 4g of water for the plants in flower. I added some bat guano to that.

I used a wide-mesh strainer so that the sediment that can go through my watering can stayed - worm treats. I just stir the bucket every time I fill the watering can.
thanks @H.A.F. i learn slow , but i do learn.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
thanks @H.A.F. i learn slow , but i do learn.
This spring I plan to start a few little spots of seed grasses to see what does well. It only takes a stalk or two of barley to make a tea, so it's easy to be self sustainable if it grows well here. If not I find something similar to try.

Basically after the seed sprout tea you have malted barley (or whatever grain) after you're done. Dry it out for a top-dress.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
After the tea there was noticable perki-ness and all the tops look ready to stretch. I flipped everything and have no veg. Next watering I'll up-pot those 2g plants but the 1g reg Deep Chunk can wait on sexing.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My next drop is going to be a mix of old and new, and I'm waiting until the 1st of the month or later. I think dropping a whole pack of old stuff will work for most stuff, but the things like 4th Gear or Dank Sinatra won't be giving me a lot of phenotypical variation. So I am leaning towards the half-pack drop on those, 6 regs but just looking to get 2 girls. I am going to count on 2 duds from age, 2 boys and 2 girls, then be happily surprised if they all pop.

On the new side Blackbird Preservation has the Mean Gene Rootbeer and crossed it with his Chocolate Thai. Some Irie is also burning a hole in my pocket.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
My next drop is going to be a mix of old and new, and I'm waiting until the 1st of the month or later. I think dropping a whole pack of old stuff will work for most stuff, but the things like 4th Gear or Dank Sinatra won't be giving me a lot of phenotypical variation. So I am leaning towards the half-pack drop on those, 6 regs but just looking to get 2 girls. I am going to count on 2 duds from age, 2 boys and 2 girls, then be happily surprised if they all pop.

On the new side Blackbird Preservation has the Mean Gene Rootbeer and crossed it with his Chocolate Thai. Some Irie is also burning a hole in my pocket.
popcorn on stove ,chair in place

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Random shit - too much I want to drop now. I had it whittled down to 30 reg beans... that's two flower tents if half are girls.

So it's either wait and let this batch get closer to harvest or pick half that many to drop in a week or so.

I can veg 16 1g on the closet easy so that'll probably be the number and 6 of those will be either 4th Gear or Dank Sinatra. Not doing three and three. I'll get one now, and one next drop, and then maybe cycle through all my CLG gear like that every drop.

After 3 of the Millionaire (GG4 x Kush Cleaner) from 707, and 3 of the Morning Brew that only leaves 4 beans for the 4 Irie strains I want to try. I may just drop 1 each of the Sunkiss, Strawberry Starburst, Dragon Punch and Pineapple Wine and let Karma sort out if I get any girls

I will also re-drop duds to make sure I get 16 to veg and flip.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
IMG_3766.JPG
Still no sex on anything so the sifted soil gets to homogenize for a few days. I have the two fems and the Dogma in 2g's that had a lone pistil before topping. I have an empty 7g now so one may get it based on what I find when I pop the pot off. I am going to add a bunch of compost to the soil that I have aged for over a year. A rough sift just to give it a glance and shift any huge stuff to the new compost tub. This tub was started last fall (2021) with a last flush of wild mushrooms, some storm-fall dead oak limbs with all the moss and lichen, and some of that same stuff that had been on the ground long enough to get a good dose of mycelium. Nothing crazy growing out of the compost but it is rich and I can alwas pull a few worms off the sides as they mature.

Long-winded but that's the thing that will hopefully get me past running these extra long in small pots. I am now confident that all these are girls, and I think this will play into the next drop. THIS is variety. I'll have the highchairs ready for any shorties (UK Cheese in middle) and a few may stretch enough to make the big tent. I have 7 pots, 7 ladies, all different.
IMG_3765.JPG
Which can go with the other three in here. Dropping 2 of everything ain't a bad way to go. I have a tall lanky Thunderhole and one that's just like the runt I liked. When Duke starts putting out more beans maybe they'll be in the mix.
IMG_3764.JPG
With the Stones gone the Chemdog and the CLHP shrub are the old ladies. You can see the frost on the CLHP(front) from space. I have one hanging that has a few dozen golfballs on it. This one is for everything but smoke - and smoke. With no pruning I should get some decent tops, but lots of little gumballs for either decarb, pressing or whatever else.

I'm skipping this next one, then I'll have a CLHP in each drop. I now know both that I can successfully store weed a long time and that this is a flower that stores and ages well. I have plenty of beans, and if there's something I wouldn't mind an abundance of....