The James Gang

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
That's why I grow out every female plant. Odd-balls, mutants, runts, whatever. Those tend to be the best plants for smoke.
all i ever done has been outie,( never tryed to keep any male) till i ruptuard a blood vessel in the sack around my brain in 2005near lost my right side,anyway the inie got, started getin( hand me down burples and a tent that wouldn't fit in a house trailer ,got the 5 ftwide 9 ft long 7ft 10 in tall) better 2 years ago ,

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Still no preflowers on the last Deep Chunk. The Lemon Tree is looking like a perfect little hedge shrub. Topped once in some places, twice in others.
IMG_3799.JPG
This is the tall tent, and I've let stuff spread out to accomodate the space. As the trees put on some weight I'll stick a pole in the center near the stem to support it, then hook the limbs to that main stem instead of the pole. The rogue CLHP lower left is gonna get lower support, like those litttle half-tomato-cage things 🤷‍♂️ half a hoop on long spikes, two make a circle :unsure: a fancy-bent coathanger :ROFLMAO:
Anyway, I have loose airy buds on the lowers because I pruned nothing, but there's gonna be some weight by volume on each limb. Those 4 outer limbs are starting to droop. The plan was to grow one to wash or dry-sift most of the plant - this might be it.
IMG_3800.JPG
And as predicted the Chemdog is looking Chemdoggy and starting to consume it's leaves. That's why I took no leaves on her. She'll need every one she can keep.
IMG_3801.JPG
This is the big variety room 8 plants all playing nice, two on high chairs to get z level-ish canopy.
IMG_3797.JPG
The Thunderhole runt is the one tree, the rest have 4, 5 or 6 tops.
IMG_3798.JPG

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I honestly think that most strains are genetically directed to self pollinate if they don't catch male pollen. I think that in some of the strongest strains that likelyhood of wanting to make nuts or late nanners is just there.
Yes, pretty much everything I've read says that cannabis will go into self preservation mode if it hasn't been pollinated when it gets close to the end of it's life.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yes, pretty much everything I've read says that cannabis will go into self preservation mode if it hasn't been pollinated when it gets close to the end of it's life.
Yup. I find it hard to blame breeders, and my environment is pretty much stress free except for flipping early and topping them one time... Dark tents in a dark room, etc. It is the plants. Whether it's specific strains, or specific plants in a seed-pack, who knows. I've seen nuts on a plant whose sister from the same pack is fine.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This grow I had three that showed nuts, two that stopped, one got culled. All three were the tall trees with no topping. That's out of 30 beans I popped and none that had issues were the feminized beans - one bro-sci thing debunked.

In terms of headstash I got 15 plants girls total from 30 beans, though 4 were fems. I culled one after it showed pistils. 14 plants will give me the variety I want, and in that 14 I'm counting on 3-4 that'll be top shelf.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I grew out a lot of stuff just to see what it does. I have a 200w bar light hanging in the corner of the dining room for starting tomatoes and peppers and stuff - but for now it is a test area.
IMG_3803.JPG
I have herbs and flowers that will go out after the last frost, aloe that will stay inside, a strawberry from seed that's flowering and making mini-berries, a mini-tomato that is starting a second round of flowers after making about 30 cherry tomatoes. Wasabi radishes that I just culled down to what should produce. Horehound, Feverfew and Lemon Balm for medicinals. Agastashe/hummingbird flowers that I chopped for teas but are re-vegging. There are two "tom thumb" peas that both are making peas at about 6" tall - cute but worthless. You'd need a huge bed of them. There cover crop lettuce I transplanted into little pots after harvesting the weed. One thing is that this is all indoor soil, anything that goes out doesn't come back in. I have 2 turmeric I am trying to decide what to do with. They haven't looked super happy indoors, but then there's this
IMG_3804.JPG
It's a rhizome plant like ginger so I will yank one and try separating it and starrting the babies - then harvest the main root for cooking. After I get a bunch started some will go randomly around the property to see if/where they thrive as a perennial. The other success was the Chiltepin heirloom hot pepper. For quite a while it had one pepper on it then I thought about the fact that there is no fan or anything. I started flicking the newly open flowers to get the pollen moving and had some success. Still no ripe ones and the first pepper has to be almost 2 months on the plant. I also think that being in a pot it is probably only going to support one or two peppers per site even though ther's up to a dozen flowers.
IMG_3805.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
60 degrees outside today and daffodils are blooming. This is what sucked me into starting tomatoes and stuff too early last year. :cool:
Last year my production was crap because I had to re-start everything late. Beautiful plants got frost-bit and even though a few re-vegged they were starting over.

1675202057449.png
This year I got a 'slide-rule' schedule from Baker Creek where you adjust it to the last frost for your area (spring) and it tells you what to start inside, when to put it outside, when to direct sow stuff and expected harvest basted on those dates. It also has directions that have the historical average first and last frost dates for major cities. It has fall on the other side for your winter crops.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
60 degrees outside today and daffodils are blooming. This is what sucked me into starting tomatoes and stuff too early last year. :cool:
Last year my production was crap because I had to re-start everything late. Beautiful plants got frost-bit and even though a few re-vegged they were starting over.

View attachment 124719
This year I got a 'slide-rule' schedule from Baker Creek where you adjust it to the last frost for your area (spring) and it tells you what to start inside, when to put it outside, when to direct sow stuff and expected harvest basted on those dates. It also has directions that have the historical average first and last frost dates for major cities. It has fall on the other side for your winter crops.
Farmers Almanac has a “garden planner” app on their website that is great, too. You can plan out the plant locations and each type of vegetable is blocked out so you can make sure you are spacing them properly. It will also let you know when it’s time to plant each.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Farmers Almanac has a “garden planner” app on their website that is great, too. You can plan out the plant locations and each type of vegetable is blocked out so you can make sure you are spacing them properly. It will also let you know when it’s time to plant each.
That little planner is $5 and has that other info for each plant on the sides where the dates don't matter. Row spacing planting depth and such.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Sooo I just learned that onions should have been started a month ago and ready to go out by last frost. All I have grown are the "bunch" onions where you just use the tops and they keep growing - and eventually have an onion - or not. For most things that start inside waiting a little longer to set it out won't hurt. But some onions, cabbage, cauliflower, and probably a few more are best if they have time to get ripe before the heat of summer.

I have the next drop planned and am setting aside amended soil for the first 1g up-pot, the rest is going to get some stuff started. I have two tubs of castings I have sifted from the pots that I count as "spent" in a way. There was no reammending and plants grew a cycle in them. That is going to be the base for of my indoor-to-outdoor starter soil for everything vegetable.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Sooo I just learned that onions should have been started a month ago and ready to go out by last frost. All I have grown are the "bunch" onions where you just use the tops and they keep growing - and eventually have an onion - or not. For most things that start inside waiting a little longer to set it out won't hurt. But some onions, cabbage, cauliflower, and probably a few more are best if they have time to get ripe before the heat of summer.

I have the next drop planned and am setting aside amended soil for the first 1g up-pot, the rest is going to get some stuff started. I have two tubs of castings I have sifted from the pots that I count as "spent" in a way. There was no reammending and plants grew a cycle in them. That is going to be the base for of my indoor-to-outdoor starter soil for everything vegetable.
Yeah, I bought already started onions, put them out in mid May, and they were still pretty small by the end of the growing season.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
No clue how long it's gonna take for the deep chunk to throw a pistil. This is one of those plants where I don't care how good the smoke is, it ain't worth keeping a plant. I hate to say it but the Thunderhole is the same. Next pics will show why. For this closet I have the mystery plant in the center that is likely a Cowboy Caviar. Back left is UK Cheese and right is the Lemon Tree.
IMG_3820.JPG
In here the GMO Cake from Greenpoint looks to be a long flower girl. She's the only one not showing the puffballs yet. I think I topped her enough that she won't stretch much. Another thing that didn't stretch much is the Thunderhole mini-tree in the center. Cute little tree just like the one I liked the first time. But also in that pack with the 18" plant bean
IMG_3824.JPG
was a bean with the 36" plant. I have pinched the stem a few times and it is starting to knuckle up in a few of the spots. Looks to be stacking now. Lanky but pretty. The Burnside is the other tall tree and it looks to finish a lot quicker. 4 weeks on all the newer stuff. The CLHP is gonna have bio-mass but nothing chunky like the 4-top I pruned tight. It has the half-hoop kickstands underneath now corraling the lower limbs.
IMG_3821.JPG
She has a week or two to plump up but is not lacking for frost. Again, the goal was to have one to press, decarb, etc. The important thing is that she is loud ad fuck!. The whole tent smells sour.
IMG_3812.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Random stuff.

I had some rocks and stuff I had collected from around the world that are well, rocks. I have been noticing things I have just laying around for no reason. They are now on the soil and will eventually get mixed in. I'm re-using the soil so they aren't going anywhere. If there's still any microbes living in them I have stuff from pretty cool places feeding the weed eventually. Some clear and some opaque granite crystals might bring some karma to the weed, some petrified wood for :unsure: those prehistoric terps? 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

The real answer is I was gonna toss them in the garden outside and figured what the hell.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Oi... That is tore up with sum nanners.
View attachment 124770
This was the untested fundraiser beans so I knew going into it they were basically testers from Dominion. If he works the line I'll buy it but I'm glad my amateur ass didn't bother breeding with them. Which was the original plan.

Those were on every flower, and a few had balls underneath. It was the worst I have seen. And it all came on at once - thank God.