The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I got two The Stones and the CLHP bucked and jarred today. This CLHP is the first I let go long. It has generally been an 8-week-ish plant, and this one looked good enough to be taken at 8 weeks as well.

Either I got a new pheno or letting it go 9 weeks makes a lot of difference. There's almost no kief, stickier and plump instead of perfect little pinecones. The high from some early stuff show's it's got the punch, but this smells like lilacs and watermelons, dipped in gas. Maybe a hint of licorice/anise.

I am going to watch the one in flower and maybe take a few small limbs at 8 weeks if the plant isn't ready by then.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I get a lot of anise off the CLHP I let cure for 3+ months, both smell and on the exhale. Seems to get lost after you make it into hash or the floral (lilac) just drowns it out
IMG_3773.JPG
The stuff I have left from July (7/11 LOL) is the citrus/chicken one, taken before 60 days. It is the replica of the one that I got attached to so that's why I am wondering if this doesn't have a few prime harvest windows rather than a few pheno's. This is the new stuff *this is the new stuff* I go dancing in :cool:
IMG_3770.JPG
The one in the tent now has more smaller nugs but I also pruned it differently - as in, not much. Itopped it with 4 or 6 branches left on, then let it go native. I have the nug/smasher and a tin-ful of fire, so I want the ecuse to see how it dabs without feeling guilty.
IMG_3776.JPG
When this is hungdry I can be selective about how much top I want them start smashing. I want to try it well dried, and later try it cured in the smasher. I also have a small stash of the dry-sift to press.
IMG_3775.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
i've noticed that most strains ,i have no use for till @least 2months of cure!
I grow a LOT of different strains. I agree for the most part but I am not a purist. Some stuff is best once it's dry enough to smoke and stays good, but some goes downhill with age. Most gets better as it cures but you never know if you don't try it at 2 weeks. You might be missing out on the best it has to offer and never know. And it's not like you are smoking it all in one sitting. You bust up a little nug and toss it in a bowl, and on the exhale you say "fuck you" to anyone that says you can't! :ROFLMAO:

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I grow a LOT of different strains. I agree for the most part but I am not a purist. Some stuff is best once it's dry enough to smoke and stays good, but some goes downhill with age. Most gets better as it cures but you never know if you don't try it at 2 weeks. You might be missing out on the best it has to offer and never know. And it's not like you are smoking it all in one sitting. You bust up a little nug and toss it in a bowl, and on the exhale you say "fuck you" to anyone that says you can't! :ROFLMAO:
i tend to try 'em @ two weeks but very carefully, if it choukes me up back in the jar for two more weeks check again later.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Full disclosure - the Burnside and the Mayday both tossed at least one nut. I plucked about 5 total. Both are F1's with traditionally herm prone lineage on one side.

I am not nearly as scared of them as I was when I first started, and now I wonder how much fire I culled. What is odd is that both are trees - very low stress compared to being topped - I thought. No sign of anything bad on any of the 4-6 tops.

Anyway, my rules for now are that if it happens only on the lower branches or hanging off the main stem at a node and after that 2-3 day flush and picking it stops, I am good with it. I check the plant all over obviously. If I see any near or in a flower the plant is gone. I'll pluck some wild hairs but I am not playing where's waldo. I have gotten knock-down power from some of the plants that hermed around week 3-4 that I kept. And I am not breeding so there's that.

So those two are on the daily watchlist now instead of just at watering.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It does remind me that I also want to add a few bagseeds I have made to the drops. Those should all be girls but also have high herm potential (supposedly) if you listen to the bro-sci.

I have dropped a pack of beans and had a few toss nuts after showing female, and others from the same pack didn't. The herm-gene - if it exists - is either in the beans or it's not. Some stoner thinking he can pick which one will genetically not pass on that herm gene is silly, especially if they think they'll do it without fucking something else up about the plant. So as a grower only, who does small plants for many reasons, I am not going to count that against a plant as long as it stops. I can find them, and I can also see when it's an issue I can't pluck. Culling a herm is no different from culling a male - and I grow lots of regs. I'll never let anything go to the point of full-on seeding a tent. But stray pollen from a missed nanner can happen.

Soooooo back to the bagseeds that I actually know the "mom-dad" because I saw a missed flower that opened, I kept no beans off that "dad" - herm-mom, but all the ones I kept I grew out that herm and smoked it and was impressed. I have a batch from the Headbanger Zee tester that had no visible pollen sacks or nanners the entire grow, but when I opened it up it was fully seeded and had some nanners near the stem, hidden. I got several hemp-seed-sprout teas from those but didn't save any.

The other was from the recent Bad Attitude (GMO Cross) that I know opened two pollen sacks around week 4. That one didn't even seed itself which is odd. In both instances I kept the beans from the ones that had a great mom. Those are labeled, dated, stored, and may have some interesting stuff - or shit. Can't win if you don't play!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yessir, yessir, three bags full. I up-potted a few plants that haven't shown yet, but I haven't had boys take this long to show so it's better not to have the tentative up-potting looming. I had a few that needed it or I would be stunting the flower growth/stretch if I haven't already. The Deep Chunk and the mystery bean are still androgenous. The Lemon Tree got the 7g. She just looked the best of the two fems. Nice level canopy.
IMG_3783.JPG
The Dogma hasn't re-shown since the pistil I saw before topping it. Shouldn't matter but that justified the 5g over the 7g. I could have been high...
The GMO Cake looked a little more lanky with less root-wrap so the 5g was good there too.
IMG_3782.JPG
No nuts tonight. The Chemdog is starting to look real chemdoggy LOL
IMG_3777.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Durban Poison F3. This is a freebie 7pack, regs, 5 left, that I got from Dagga Gardens. The breeder was "Shooter's Garden" but he doesn't have a storefront there, maybe some only do if they have beans in stock. I saw Freeborn up there for a while at $150/pack of three different crosses - which were obviously gone before I knew about them....

Anyway - This is probably the first time I have looked at a packed bowl and thought "that's pretty weed!".

First-off, it's dense. not rock solid but there's some there, there.
IMG_3791.JPG
I got a good bit of weight from a small plant because of that. Lots of chunky strawberries all over.
IMG_3785.JPG
It was a real dark green on the fan leaves at harvest, almost blue green. But the underside of every leaf was purple. You can just make out one near the tip of the top cola and the bright orange stigma that are long enough to stay noticable in the grind. It smells of raspberries and body odor - mostly BO... Super frosty and dumps kief, I haven't pressed it yet but I'll test a few nugs next time I have the smasher warm.
IMG_3786.JPG
It's hard to get a pic of but I ground some plain ol' green bud next to it for comparison.
IMG_3795.JPG
Of note, it fucks me up pretty good and has me doing a smoke report for a classic strain that I have just never tried.
Run you're damn freebies! This has been a public service announcement 😜

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Zkittles (auto), Momma Moonshine, Angel Heart, and now The Stones.

The Z auto was really tasty and terpy so I am sure it brought what the profile was supposed to be. The rest all have the same smell overall.

IF - (big if) - the "Master Kush... bringing the double haze male" that is The Stones is the older of the group - along with the Angel Heart which are both from the same Mr Nice batch then that is a clue to the makeup of some of the mystery strains. Neville claimed that almost everything could be traced back to his work, and EVERYTHING from Mr Nice fits that category.

It would make a great story except that there were so many publicized raids and accidents over the decades that all of the original moms/dads Neville had are long gone. So the Mr Nice stuff I have is most likely new stock recreations. Then the question would be whether or not they used original seeds to make the new ones, and what the actual lineage of those beans was.

Anyway, The Stones is good and if you have smoked any of the above -- there ya go.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Everything got fresh aloe water tonight, clean filets from a fat leaf all blenderized and slushy ;)

I lost the prematurely up-potted Dogma to being a dude. No harm no foul. I have one more Deep Chunk that may still be a dude. I marked it so I remember to check.
IMG_3796.JPG
On the shit side I plucked one more nut on the Burnside - but it was obvious and low. On the shittier side I culled the Mayday. That was the ChemD/Kush Cleaner so I think that comes from the D side. It has one just under a lower-limb top. Axed the tranny bitch. So the Dogma moved up on the list to drop because I want another girl to veg for a bigger pot. The Mayday moved down and will be a "whole pack, lets see what makes it" grow. Might be wrong-think but first impressions are a bitch. That's one each way for the 707, and the ChemPower is a Chem-Sis cross - no clue what to expect but it's healthy and has no nuts.

In the agricultural investigative category :geek: The mystery plant is also a lady. The sad looking plant upper left.
I scratched Homecoming Queen from the four genetic possibilities. She grows very vertical and I was reminded of that by the other HQ I have already in flower. HQ has short chubby leaves too.

I don't think it is an Amy Aces but I have another going and just harvested two so I'll have comparison. Leaf and plant structure don't seem to wash though. Both previous Amy's were aggressive beasts.

That leaves Cali-O or Cowboy Caviar. I'm Pretty familiar with the skunk growth traits from all the crosses and the clone only pheno's I have run of the skunk1. I have a UK Cheese going at the moment and just ran that Lemon Cello for recent skunk1 pheno's. I'm close to crossing the Cali-O off the list.

Cowboy Caviar is OG on OG with a side of OG, sprinkled with Chemdog. OG is traditionally a finicky bitch to grow and this is the only drooper I have going. It also has the same style of leaf droop that the healthy Chemdog in the other tent has.

It's Amy or CC. And the smell should make that EASY to pick. The Amy's in the tin now smell like bubblegum and vinyl.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I just gained more faith in Rasta Jeff as a breeder. The Jack the Ripper is not that potent, and more uplifting than stoner. But it goes that direction - which is what subcool talked about - which is all this was supposed to be. An open pollenation of a pack of beans that he selected from and reproduced.

The reason I notice it is because all the others of his worked strains or have his selected males are much more potent.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Full disclosure - the Burnside and the Mayday both tossed at least one nut. I plucked about 5 total. Both are F1's with traditionally herm prone lineage on one side.

I am not nearly as scared of them as I was when I first started, and now I wonder how much fire I culled. What is odd is that both are trees - very low stress compared to being topped - I thought. No sign of anything bad on any of the 4-6 tops.

Anyway, my rules for now are that if it happens only on the lower branches or hanging off the main stem at a node and after that 2-3 day flush and picking it stops, I am good with it. I check the plant all over obviously. If I see any near or in a flower the plant is gone. I'll pluck some wild hairs but I am not playing where's waldo. I have gotten knock-down power from some of the plants that hermed around week 3-4 that I kept. And I am not breeding so there's that.

So those two are on the daily watchlist now instead of just at watering.
i have a white runtz that has thrown 5/ 6balls, then everything is fine, still i watch the bitch do'nt need seeds.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
i have a white runtz that has thrown 5/ 6balls, then everything is fine, still i watch the bitch do'nt need seeds.
I honestly think that most strains are genetically directed to self pollinate if they don't catch male pollen. I think that in some of the strongest strains that likelyhood of wanting to make nuts or late nanners is just there. If you try andselect away from it you steal the potency.

That's where there's a big difference in production weed and headstash. No way I'd want to try and produce a few mortgage payments worth of flower and have it possibly end up worthless. But growing for personal smoke it's more like a regular chore to check. And there are certain windows when it happens.

If it happens outside those windows, like a late-flower plant dropping balls instead of "I'm DONE!!!" nanners, that's a bad plant. If it's around week 3-4 of flower, just after the pistils really puff up, and there are a few odd nuts that are not near the flowers - game on. I'm a plucking fool. I'll do that for a few days on a plant, then it's gone.

One thing I have noticed is that the nodes that have a pistillate calyx don't generally produce a nut. The naked ones that don't have the little female pre-flowers are more likely to pop one. IF they only make one per space and once plucked that's a dead node for any kind of pre-flower, I'll keep the plant. If they come back it gets the axe.