The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since all my lights are on at night I have shifted my sleep cycle :cool:

Got my Baker Creek Seeds order in today with a few more tiny or oddball lettuces I can try as cover crops, some tiny ornamental peppers for the tent or window, some stuff for next year etc. One of the freebies I got was wasabi! So I'm studying up on that and will probably drop a few inside. 2" spacing so I can fit several in a pot.

So I'll be fucking around with lots of stuff tonight :unsure: this morning.. Whatever.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's what has been working for me, with gadgets I found that help.
First, the trays I 'stole' when I bought flats of herbs and tomatoes and such. No-tip stoner-resistant for assoered size cups. Solo's are small on the bottom and big at the top. Very poor design ;) I have the 8oz solo cups because they let me use the right amount of seed starter without worrying about a shot-glass in the middle of a bigger cup or pot. I have a tablespoon (what was handy) of pumice because I think it gives the roots something to do besides circle the bottom. They don't get enough water to worry about drainage. Then that 1/4c thing full full of fresh castings.
IMG_2593.JPG
I was going to do one but both pics came out. I just rain down the fluffy soil and have enough on top that the weight fills the cracks, then I have a spatula I stole from the kitchen permanent that I level them off with
IMG_2595.JPG
But I do them all at once like an assembly line
IMG_2599.JPG
Lots to unfold here. The cups on the left have already been tapped on the counter a few tomes to settle the soil. The little vial with 120grit inside for scarification if needed, the surgical tweezers for dropping the beans. The little silicone dish I can dump the water out of easy while keeping the beans in - and easy to get one bean with the tweezers. The King Palm dowel.
IMG_2600.JPG
marked at 1/2" that I use to make dimples in the soil
IMG_2601.JPG
Hard to see but after I drop each one with the tweezers I pinch it closed. I think I can keep it at the right depth easier that way.
IMG_2605.JPG
After they're all done I give them each 8-10 speitzes of fine mist from a spray bottle of RO plus the soak-water. The two on the outsides are new and domed now. The middle is getting a test run without the dome
IMG_2606.JPG

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Since all my lights are on at night I have shifted my sleep cycle :cool:

Got my Baker Creek Seeds order in today with a few more tiny or oddball lettuces I can try as cover crops, some tiny ornamental peppers for the tent or window, some stuff for next year etc. One of the freebies I got was wasabi! So I'm studying up on that and will probably drop a few inside. 2" spacing so I can fit several in a pot.

So I'll be fucking around with lots of stuff tonight :unsure: this morning.. Whatever.
@H.A.F.have you study on the clover being feed for worms instead of the cut and drop way you were doing?then extract the clover roots to break down for nitrogen

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@H.A.F.have you study on the clover being feed for worms instead of the cut and drop way you were doing?then extract the clover roots to break down for nitrogen
Since I am doing small plants, small pots and short veg that won't matter much. That's why I quit chopping and dropping. The short clover hasn't needed much chopping, but the stuff that does I chop and remove. I dry it for worm bedding along with the weed trimmings. It's good diversity but it's all grown inside and not buggy, so perfct for brown or green compost.

The nitrogen I count on comes from the castings where everything has been processed.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Since I am doing small plants, small pots and short veg that won't matter much. That's why I quit chopping and dropping. The short clover hasn't needed much chopping, but the stuff that does I chop and remove. I dry it for worm bedding along with the weed trimmings. It's good diversity but it's all grown inside and not buggy, so perfct for brown or green compost.

The nitrogen I count on comes from the castings where everything has been processed.
cool

Here's what has been working for me, with gadgets I found that help.
First, the trays I 'stole' when I bought flats of herbs and tomatoes and such. No-tip stoner-resistant for assoered size cups. Solo's are small on the bottom and big at the top. Very poor design ;) I have the 8oz solo cups because they let me use the right amount of seed starter without worrying about a shot-glass in the middle of a bigger cup or pot. I have a tablespoon (what was handy) of pumice because I think it gives the roots something to do besides circle the bottom. They don't get enough water to worry about drainage. Then that 1/4c thing full full of fresh castings.
View attachment 120704
I was going to do one but both pics came out. I just rain down the fluffy soil and have enough on top that the weight fills the cracks, then I have a spatula I stole from the kitchen permanent that I level them off with
View attachment 120711
But I do them all at once like an assembly line
View attachment 120706
Lots to unfold here. The cups on the left have already been tapped on the counter a few tomes to settle the soil. The little vial with 120grit inside for scarification if needed, the surgical tweezers for dropping the beans. The little silicone dish I can dump the water out of easy while keeping the beans in - and easy to get one bean with the tweezers. The King Palm dowel.
View attachment 120707
marked at 1/2" that I use to make dimples in the soil
View attachment 120708
Hard to see but after I drop each one with the tweezers I pinch it closed. I think I can keep it at the right depth easier that way.
View attachment 120716
After they're all done I give them each 8-10 speitzes of fine mist from a spray bottle of RO plus the soak-water. The two on the outsides are new and domed now. The middle is getting a test run without the dome
View attachment 120717
have a selection or mesuring cups/spoon several industral stainless spatuals ,strainers and such, still need dirt gradeing,screens of different sizes.winter welder work.current dirt grader is a french fry basket

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member

never tried to feed clover roots to worms , they (the roots are the part of the plant that, fixes nitrogrn in the roots)blender, frozen, then fed to your worms, still in the pots.The biggest part of mine are in the mulch pile.garden tubs have the most worms in them, mulch pile is catching up fast.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Got the small drop and the one lollygagger up-potted. The Lemon Cello has 6 good limbs and is not going to stretch much. I am going to let it get settled in then lollipop all the limbs There's not much secondary growth so I'm not losing any good bud sites. But with 6 limbs I need a little spread for some air if it ain't stretching. One set of leaves and sprouts from each limb shoulf do it. The Purple Heart has almost nothing there, but the John Lemon will be flip ready at 4 weeks (next Saturday). I stripped all the fat shade leaves off the male and had them chopped up and in dinner. I topped it and got the pre-flowers off and have no clue why it's alive. If these stop flowering now that they're back in veg it might be a good male clone to hang on to if I will be cloning stuff shortly anyway. This was a freebie from a good breeder (707) that gave me a male and a female. It has Trinity and their 707 Chemdawg and I have a pack with 14 left.
IMG_2607.JPG
I'll probably kill it but this will get filed as a possible in my first pollen chuck category. No way I'm hanging onto a male that long until I get around to wanting to make a batch of seeds. But keeping it around for a bit might be a good move as long as it doesn't keep making flowers.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If I make seeds it's just going to be of something I want to smoke forever, because if I make them I'll have to grow them. Even if I just do an open pollenation from a single pack I love, finding out what else is in the line will probably take decades along with all the other beans I have to pop. I don't think I would do a two-strain cross. some plants don't like each other and my one-and-done chuck might be a hermie mess. Low probability but it's there. Thunderhole from Dominion is also in that group. It has an interesting taste and buzz, and grew a tiny little Christmas Tree that still yielded almost 2 zips. Solid little pinecone nugs. And it's almost gone.

But looking at the lineup I think I'll be fine with new fire for a bit.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I like the ones designed for mining that fit on a 5g bucket. When I find something that's sturdy and works well I get spares ;) I have a set for kitchen use and a set for soil. And I got them before the price of everything went Kalifornia.
soo your worms do'nt live in your pots with the plants ?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
soo your worms do'nt live in your pots with the plants ?
They do - but they are short term residents. I don't have no-till beds or anything so they always get dumped out, sifted, mixed etc. I don't count on the worms in the pots - they do their thing and it never hurts. I also top-dress with the dried up and crumbled weed. Just not the green stuff I just chopped that might mold. Had that start and transfer to a lower leaf of the plant and it scared the shit out of me ;)

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
They do - but they are short term residents. I don't have no-till beds or anything so they always get dumped out, sifted, mixed etc. I don't count on the worms in the pots - they do their thing and it never hurts. I also top-dress with the dried up and crumbled weed. Just not the green stuff I just chopped that might mold. Had that start and transfer to a lower leaf of the plant and it scared the shit out of me ;)
got u,thanks

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
If I make seeds it's just going to be of something I want to smoke forever, because if I make them I'll have to grow them. Even if I just do an open pollenation from a single pack I love, finding out what else is in the line will probably take decades along with all the other beans I have to pop. I don't think I would do a two-strain cross. some plants don't like each other and my one-and-done chuck might be a hermie mess. Low probability but it's there. Thunderhole from Dominion is also in that group. It has an interesting taste and buzz, and grew a tiny little Christmas Tree that still yielded almost 2 zips. Solid little pinecone nugs. And it's almost gone.

But looking at the lineup I think I'll be fine with new fire for a bit.
most likely knowing ,what your partial stash look like ,i've got some growin to do,thanks for being the rabbit a lot peeps watch.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Puna Lites is down. It finally had that sugary look all over, and weight. A day shy of 11 weeks and she came in at 215g wet. Not too dense or fluffy, it just feels right on the plant-to-weight ratio when I hung it up if that makes sense. Some of them you finally chop it and it's a lot lighter than it looked.
IMG_2628.JPG
I had to check the MK Ultra to see if it needed to go too but it has time. Not too impressive of a plant on bud structure.
IMG_2624.JPG
Now I have time to finally do the up-potting I need to do. Still only 5 girls (left and middle). Lost the next to last Reveille to dude-ishness. Out of 10 beans I got one girl - Based on the law of averages some other tester has a fat pack of females and is probably hoping for males to chuck with :ROFLMAO:. So I'll get a smoke report out of one pheno for what that's worth. She's the lanky girl in the center. Beautifully level secondary canopy, all with stretch. I think I'll try pinching the top to slow it down a bit and see if the lowers catch up some. Right now I am debating and will probably just up-pot them all. If I have to cull a male so be it, but I was watching the pre-nuts on the Reveille for a few days to make sure a pistil wouldn't pop out. I have never had a boy be that late to show. It's 10 days now so I'll chance it. Looks like I'm already getting the division between shorties and the girls basketball team.
IMG_2610.JPG
The solo cup grow is going well.
IMG_2625.JPG
I have to go back in and dump the excess, but here is my attempt at a solution. Marbles! The soil is not too compact, so I should be able to top-dress some castings and water them down at some point.
IMG_2627.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
most likely knowing ,what your partial stash look like ,i've got some growin to do,thanks for being the rabbit a lot peeps watch.
I started growing to get the stash. Now I am just continuously upgrading it ;)

FWIW I have a weed budget. When I retired I promised myself to stay in weed. I bought it, tried to find good connections, but nothing reliable. Grew a few bagseeds - like tomatoes because I had no clue about light schedules... About three months in and my plants were about 8" tall in clay pots and I got fungus gnats. I found a forum while looking for a solution and 2 months later harvested the best quarter-bag I'll likely ever smoke ;) Six months for a few grams wasn't going to do it but I found the ILGM forum and saw the grow guide on there. Lots of bullshit, half-ass info but it grew weed. I bought their shitty beans and used their shitty advice to grow me some mids, but enough of it to live on without buying weed. I then had money to invest in the hobby.

They were idiots about much - so I went hunting. I found Troll-it-up. Big upgrade right? :ROFLMAO: But there I got hooked up with @J.James and the rest is history. Notice he has all the KNF stuff posted and now I'm all organic? :unsure:;). He took me under his wing, sent me some legit beans (first ever legit ones) to test his 4th Gear testers (need to drop more of those...) and a few presents.

He shared, I share. I don't breed or chck so I share info. I'm growing this plant anyway - why not? Growing it is as much my meds now as smoking it. My whole lifestyle has changed for the better because of this.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Oh - I also live where things are relatively inexpensive. Read into that what you will but I have no worries about water, or electricity. 3br house w/ 2200 sqft, AC Kicking in September heat, three to four tents going, and my bill was just over $300. Just got my property tax bill for the year and it was just over $700.

Anyway, I was smoking about an ounce a month being stingy about it in case it took a while to get more. I was paying abouy $10/g but getting relatively good weed. I bought in bulk when possible, but I use that $10/g and ounce per month as my budget. I set aside roughly $300 per month which at first was buying me a light one month, then a tent the next, then ventillation, or I'd save up to get the smash.

Now I have spare fans and a seedbank with a mini fridge for it :ROFLMAO: I used to use that budget for buying nutes, now I don't need to and can use it for more beans I don't need, or to help cover the price of everything else going Kalifornistan. I started the first bean in 2014. It's taken a while but I am stubborn as fuck!