The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Try spring summer and winter pruning create fruit bushes I had over 70 fruit trees and followed backyard orchard culture. Dave Wilson has an great website and produce most rootstock and varieties have pollination charts and acid sugar levels of most fruits

Cool. I have one, and it's shaded by 100' oaks and hickories... It has two sections and only half the tree produced.

Growing weed helps with a lot. I can now see the viability of pruning back stuff for better returns, healther plants, etc, I'm doing that with my tomatoes too, taking every sucker so it's just the first few limbs getting longer without a lot of other stuff to support.

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
I can now see the viability of pruning back stuff for better returns, healther plants, etc, I'm doing that with my tomatoes too, taking every sucker so it's just the first few limbs getting longer without a lot of other stuff to support.
Pruning fruit trees regularly (spring focus the buds in an area thin the fruit by default, summer after harvest, winter cleans up the wounds and dead stuff) stimulates them into produce fruit spurs vs scaffolding. I also thin the branches of fruit by up to 75%. It's all in line with HST 😉

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Pruning fruit trees regularly (spring focus the buds in an area thin the fruit by default, summer after harvest, winter cleans up the wounds and dead stuff) stimulates them into produce fruit spurs vs scaffolding. I also thin the branches of fruit by up to 75%. It's all in line with HST 😉
It was more of a novelty than anything. I planted it in the wrong spot because it was available back when I bought the house. Now that I have moved back the wilderness a bit it sucks. So a tiny thing that tosses me a few fruit for a ferment like this is fine and dandy. I think the weed plants will love it, it'll be another way to introduce the local stuff to my grow without worrying about bugs. But I have had issues with worms, and ants eating the worms, and it's not really something I care about. I think it was the wrong variety of fruit tree for where I live. It was on sale LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My harvested pots get the main root cut out then some bokashi sprinkled on (1) last night. The soil was damp so I didn't water it. I keep it covered with a small saucer (2). This is tonight (3)
1. IMG_0810.JPG 2. IMG_0811.JPG 3. IMG_0837.JPG

I think I'll end up with about a dozen of each carrot after it's thinned out.
IMG_0814.JPG
Random shit everywhere ;) Peas, beans or cukes growing by most of the fences. random corn is for sprout teas or seed stock - or a small meal.
IMG_0817 (2).JPG
Welcome to the mini-jungle. I have more seeds sprouted to add more randome shit wherever it'll fit and I'm tilling more spots if needed.
IMG_0823.JPG
I startled this dude and he flew off, then came right back and got to work.
IMG_0818.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
To the weed. I dug out the FF top dressings and hit the autos wth some. I think that the living soil and the auto's wanting to do their thing might not be compatible. Leaves yellowing before pistils browning is not usually good
IMG_0826.JPG
The Freakshow
IMG_0827.JPG
The mini-SOG. I'm kind of digging this. A few less clones in a 5g for future second grows might be a thing.
IMG_0828.JPG
The Albany Piff don't look to have any shock from transplant but in 2 days shit might go sideways if they take off. I have no idea what to expect except 12 more weeks of flower... :oops:
IMG_0829.JPG
The Bluperskunk popped a few top-nanners on a top I killed both it and the first Skunk XXX because they were done anyway. 2 days shy of 9 weeks and both have a chemmy funk to them so that's good.
IMG_0832.JPG
The other Skunk XXX looks like it might be popping a second round of pistils, but everything in here except the Grandpa's Stash clone has a good bit of brown pistils. I may go ahead and flip the Crazy Hazy and the Cotton Candy Cookies moms since I know two plants will fit. When the rest of the tent starts harvesting I'll probably do a few more second runs to clear the clone tent. But I have beans burning holes in my pockets LOL
IMG_0834.JPG
The newer stuff and the MAC1 cross. Hardly any pistils on her. Hard to tell at a glance where she is for ripeness, but she's starting to look a little silvery.
IMG_0833.JPG

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I have a little 8' peach tree that I put in when I bought the house 4 years ago. This year I can see that pruning is needed. There were limbs drooping under the weight. Last year a late frost got all of them. This year I am doing a ferment for my plants. Just brown sugar and fruit, equal weight. I have an LAB in the beginning stages and still have to mix it with milk, so I am saving a quart of each to do ferments. As soon as I get that brewing I'm gonna start the ferments. Then I can add a shot of LAB when it's done to give it a boost. I already have a jar of green peaches fermenting from ones that it dropped early due to overcrowding.

The blackberries are from one new spot I found about 10sqft. I tossed my blackberry clones. I have too many and can keep them where they are...
Some of these are the size of a quarter.
View attachment 115599
My neighbor planted apple and pear trees along the property line when he moved in years ago and has never pruned them. Last week I was so tired of looking at all the sucker branches growing up from the bases of them that I said fuck it and pruned all 8 trees.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Looking super good @H.A.F. you are in tune with your gardens big time.
Thanks man, you'd be surprised how little I do. I think the there are more and more people getting in tune with sticking their plants in real soil and letting it do it's thing. I may be leaving some yield on the table, but I'm pretty sure it's from growing small plants and not from it being organic. With the one month flips I am also providing the shortest amount of time for shit to go sideways ;)

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I've been planning an orchard and want to go the espalier route with training but I need to research the flowering time of everything so I have some good biodiversity to ensure good pollination when the flowers start blooming.

The boss keeps giving me grief about buying plants/trees but not putting them in the ground. I'm just "prepping my stock" so I can buy the appropriate rootstock and propagate my own mother stock and gift any extra to the neighbors.

First thing on my list is a sand point well and learning the proper installation since my frost line is almost 80".

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've been planning an orchard and want to go the espalier route with training but I need to research the flowering time of everything so I have some good biodiversity to ensure good pollination when the flowers start blooming.

The boss keeps giving me grief about buying plants/trees but not putting them in the ground. I'm just "prepping my stock" so I can buy the appropriate rootstock and propagate my own mother stock and gift any extra to the neighbors.

First thing on my list is a sand point well and learning the proper installation since my frost line is almost 80".
I can't plant trees really. Pointless. I live in the woods. I went out this spring and started culling and keeping though. Getting rid of any pines or other soft-woods and clearing around things like Sassafrass, Mulberry, or any other oddities among the hickory, oak, dogwood and the occasional maple.

And any open flat areas I have will be for gardens, not trees. Maybe some thornless berries eventually.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So here's the day-time activity (clone tent) that forces me to take a break from the back-breaking work outside. I was hesitant to start another tent but this was a good call. Having 100w (using 80w) in a 3'x3' with a 4" duct fan for exhaust and a USB fan costs nothing. And since it's always gonna be veg there's no issues with light leaks or anything else.

Skunks in 1g's lower right, above them is the Momma Moonshine and MAC1 x Orgi flower clones, assorted veg clones upper left then the Sky Cuddler clones 3-days in and still looking great. The top that might not make it is from the Cotton Candy Cookies. I have one more fem bean.
IMG_0839.JPG
Today's project now that all the flower clones were well rooted and moved from small cups to 1/2g pots is to pot the Crazy Hazy and the CCC. These were to be topped for 8 but one limb on the CCC had almost no secondary sprouts on the limb so I kept the top. These get 5g bots and cover crops and flipped tonight. The Crazy Hazy clone got a pot this morning too and is a successful plant.
IMG_0838.JPG
I am seriously considering shifting all veg-ops to the clone-tent bedroom, just need to clear a spot for the mini-tent. It can probably trade places with the worm bins. But the closet staying 12/12 as a transition (sexing) or overflow room seems legit.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Sniffing on the three plants I have drying and the CLHP is the winner. Mmmmmmmmm chicken🐔 😁
The Bluperskunk has a rank smell but it ain't skunky at this point
The first SkunkXXX from TH Seeds has potential. There's a combination of terps there that are very skunky for now. It doesn't have the pine smell along with it that I remember, but once the stuff is jarred who knows. It's a 3-way cross of Skunk#1 x Shiva Skunk x 82 Kentucky Skunk, and it is widely accepted that if you want to find skunky smells, the SSSC Skunk #21 is NOT where to look.But the other two I don't know. One must bring it. I have the other one close to done so it'll be interesting to see if there's a wide variety.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have been good about seed shopping, but I have a budget and it was burning a hole... I want to try some of that Future Cannabis Project gear. I think what Mr Trees did with his new releases was cool if you haven't watched it. He just got a few random nobodies that were hooked up for youtube and sent them seeds to grow on air. Like our contest on steroids. Anyway, I got a few packs from Mr. Trees (Family Tree Seeds) and a few NL crosses from Blackbird Preservation, and a Black Lime Reserve (Freeborn) crossed with his Limelight from Brandon Rust.

Seemed pretty janky how it was set up until I read the fine print. Peter (FCP) has a microbe company and I guess they email you an invoice that you then pay however you would usually buy stuff online using the microbe site. It seems a lot less painful that it initially sounded. Just going to be a delay until they can process the order and send an invoice instead of it already being a done deal. I'll let you know how it works

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I went back for a second sniff because sometimes that can jar your senses into remembering what something smells similar to.
The undertone I am getting from that Bluperskunk is like a stinkbug and I hope it goes away... Better have a really good buzz if it doesn't :cool:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since I was smelling for skunks I went to check the one still growing. She's at 9 weeks today and will probably go 10.
She smells like a chem - for now - who knows. I think getting them all jarred will be the only way to tell.
I wonder if I should get some fold-n-close sandwich bags to see if the zip-lock-o-zene terp is part of that old school skunk process :ROFLMAO:

I like this angle for checking trichs because *something* will be in focus. :)
IMG_0842.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The stuff got moved a bit. I have all but the CLHP 2g in with it's flip-mates or close, all the new stuff in the closet. The Cotton Candy Cookies odball I just potted sideways so the long limb was on the bottom and the short one on top. A little phototropic mambo and they should be level.
IMG_0847.JPG
The CLHP SOG setting on a high chair doesn't take as much room as on the floor :) The 12" x 12" wire rack shelves are perfect.
IMG_0846.JPG
And the fatty room. Except for the younger Grandpa's Stash clone, these are all browned up nice.
IMG_0850.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So far so good. The order from Dagga Gardens (the FCP general store) invoice showed up right as business hours kicked in. Every item listed as "custom soil blend" but a note at the bottom that said "order includes" with the list of your beans. They have some respectable breeders on there and some I have never heard of, but business-practice-wise as long as I get the beans I can deal with them.

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN

I really dig the medium height living fence style espallier but all really good ways of training. My advise on planting is plant like things together for spraying and fertilizing. That way you're not dragging stuff all over. Cherries were the toughest pollination game and found the best way is to use a lot of self pollinators such as black tartarian and stella will pollinate bings. Chill hours are the most important aspect. Also having rosemary and other bee attracting plants mixed in helps bring them around. Water features are also good too. Peaches nectarines and almonds are all fairly similar in their requirements and are typically self pollinating.

This pressure washer water jet idea was an intriguing way to DIY well.

Last edited: