The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Stoner thinking...

My drop is based on being able to fit 16 1-gallons in the closet for veg.

By the time I get them out of the solo cups I'll have at least one empty tent I can shift to veg with the closet

The mini-tent will be for clones at first but I will need more veg real estate until I select the breeders.

The good and bad is I'll need to get everything into one flower tent, but I'll have hoards of room for the project.

Drkillawatt

Kill a "watt"
More grow-notes. My soil is getting "live"-er. any of you salt-feeders ever see mushrooms growing from your pots?
View attachment 93466

My concerns about top-dressing were unfounded. The clover (mini-clover) makes it so watering without scratching the surface works. Like a mini "no-till". I have the red clover that is full-size, but they all start small - and in only 3-4 months shouldn't become a nuissance. Next grow I am trying both, and I think every pot will have a cover crop. And I need to be more generous with the seeds too.
View attachment 93467
That's sick man!!! I'm going to put some of my spent mush cakes in to my plants an see what happens!! I don't think it will hurt I'm trying to build a living soil as well!! Looks great friend!! So awesome!!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Random shit.

I cut down a plastic cafeteria tray (flat, not the compartment ones) to use as a shelf in the weed fridge instead of the wine racks.

Then I got on that train of thought and grabbed my RAW rolling tray - which slid into the little grooves for the trays like budder!

So I found the cheapest RAW trays I could on the deforested-jungle-river website and bought several :). I may have to drill some holes in for airflow, but I don't think so.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Lots of harvest notes.
Grapefruit - pic next time I dump it out. It lost some citrus during drying, gained some sweetness in the jar. I got less return than the 20% expected because I am leaving more foliage on for the drying. No issue with that, just need to adjust expectations. 2 plants dried to 82g - plenty, but closer to 15% of the wet weight. Smoked some larf - it is tasty with a mellow buzz for now. In the jar it smells like the Zkittles I have.
IMG_4569.JPG
Headbanger Zee (right) is smelling like sandalwood inscence and another of the sweet spicy ones leaning towards kush.
The Homecoming Queen is now history unless the re-veg is a success. The 5 limbs on the left are from the second attempt. I should end up with about 5 oz from the 4 little clones.

I chose this one for re-veg because of all the lower junk that I usually keep cleaned up but left on for some reason and all I need are sprouts from somewhere.
IMG_4570.JPG
Two in re-veg, the male (back left) and the Auto. I think I have seen what I need to for the male. Average growth that I could slow down if needed, but no signs of re-veg. I don't want to breed with some wonky plant that has done the crazy re-veg growth and may not reliably flower as expected. And catching it as soon as it showed a nut worked for timing. IMG_4572.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Also dry-sift from the first HQ which I jarred today. My drying wardrobe is now dialed in with a mini-fan for a little air moving and a mini exhaust sucking out any rH that rises. Keeps the rH right ab out 58-60%. The hanging limbs are drying in 7 days, the whole plants in 10.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
And half a dozen pots of dirt to sift through. Might wait until I take the Vin Santo down. It is just showing a few ambers, looking like a 12-weeker - adjusted for my milder lighting probably 11 week for anyone else.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
2 plants dried to 82g
I should clarify now that I am a "weed snob" a good bit more of the harvest gets dry-sifted.

If a plant is not that special (late herm for example), or if I just have a lot of plants I'll hit it with the bowl trimmer. You lose any little nubs on the buds - less weight, more hash. I always hand trim the tops.

After it's trimmed and before I jar it I shake it on a half-inch grid. Any little nugs that fall through may or may not get jarred. If they are dense they cure. Any larf I just smoke to get an early impression. I probably got a half ounce or better of the larf from the Grapefruit. It also reinforced my ideas on pruning. The one with lots of little tops left on weighed less overall and had more larf.

So what I have in the jars today is of much higher overall quality than what I kept while building the stash.

It is also my opinion that after it has dried for a week to 10 days, the buzz you get will not change. The taste, smokability, and overall enjoyment of smoking flowers must wait until at least a month of cure, more for some strains, but the buzz is the buzz. :cool:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Homecoming Queen clone 1
IMG_4574.JPG
Nice purple undertones
IMG_4577.JPGIMG_4576.JPG
And the Grapefruit. The tops are dense, and have individual little tops, all pointed like Christmas trees. I could have trimmed it up better but whatever.
IMG_4583.JPG
The lower stuff is squishy though. Not as dense and I wish I had pruned instead of being cute - fixing all future plants :)
But in my scheme of things, the 8 tops are all I'll need for smoke.
IMG_4579.JPG
And it's some terp-rich stuff top to bottom - the lower stuff will make premium hash/extractions and/or edibles.
IMG_4584.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That was the 7 week Homecoming Queen. And the reason I am now getting back into cloning. I prefer dropping beans, but I have room to do some of both. There were just a few ambers on her, but the just dried stuff is as good as the mom, but with a little more bite which will cure out. The 8-week versions will be a little more narcotic.

This represents the smells and high of a classic kush, the growth pattern of a sativa with the tall spires of buds, but the flower time of an indica. I have another pack of beans to hunt through in case the re-veg doesn't take - then I have to hope I didn't find and lose a unicorn.

Who knows? I may heve the well-documented origins of the @H.A.F. cut of Homecoming Queen :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What is crazy for me with the HQ harvest is I have some of both the grandma and the mom left to smoke. This clone and the other three are for long term storage, cold cure, whatever, maybe some for edibles. There is literally no need to smoke any.

And I keep some ground up at all times. This and her sister the Croquembouche are my go-to bowl weed. Wasted in a joint,

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's the new set-up.
NL runt in the back in a high chair, Mimms #2 on the floor in the center, CLHP on the step stool, and I moved the Lemon Tree shrub in here for a better height match. Mimms is already getting puffballs up top, CLHP nothing but a few starter pistils underneath. (starter pistols - get it? :rolleyes: ). My grow-mind tells me either the CLHP is going long, or theMimms is finishing quick. 16 days into 12/12.
IMG_4620.JPG
The other Mimms is in here - super tall tuning fork. hidden in the back. No other changes in here.
IMG_4621.JPG
Other than frost and a little purple, the Homecoming Queen has little bag appeal. The biggest tops will be like the end of your thumb, but most will be like a bowl of marbles with leafy bits :) IMG_4610.JPG
But it gets me higher than any big fat-cola indica I have grown. Anyone that snagged some, clone your stuff so you can hang onto any girls. You won't get a big yield from one unless you veg for quite a bit, but this is more like friends and family weed - if you like your family 😁IMG_4615.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think the only clones I have taken and grown out have been flower clones, and that is a space saving option instead of cloning a whole pack then ditching the males.

If I had this to do over instead of having flower clones - of a flower clone - then trying to re-veg them, the initial flower clones should have had one selected for mom status and just flower the rest. Maybe even wait until it was fully back into veg and taking a clone from that for the mom.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The plan has changed to get the chuck done sooner. Instead of flowering these out and chucking the clones, I'm cloning everything and chucking the moms. They are just in a dark room on the heat mat until one breaks soil.
IMG_4627.JPG
Other than back-crossing the Royal Kush, the 007up and the Freakshow are the ones I am really excited to see beans from. I used the 8oz cups instead of the full size to try and generate growth quicker. I think that when the tap root hits bottom something clicks, and as soon as they start wrapping the bottom the upper part takes off. The goal being clones as early as possible.
IMG_4628.JPG
I have a space cleared in veg for them, IMG_4631.JPG
and I'm counting on having the two flower tents consolidated by the time I need to up-pot them. The two skinny plants will take up no room.IMG_4633.JPG
But if I can't I'll shift a tent to veg and the closet to flower. All these are filling out nice and like the room, but if I can fit the pots I can fit the plants.
IMG_4632.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think I learned something today. Maybe useful, maybe bro-science.

I watered everthing three days ago with their top dressing feeding - different for different plants based on stage of growth, but they all got fed.
Today when they should have needed it, only one plant needed water and it was a just-flipped Mimms in stretch) and the rest were still good for a day.

The thing that clicked was related to the last time I watered them. I meant to feed them, but had already started watering and said 'screw it' I'll get them next time. Three days ago when they were all dry and thirsty was only two days from the previous watering when I didn't feed.

Now that they got fed they are not going through the water as quick. There's something there, even if it's just an indicator on when to feed.

Anyway - the seeds are under the light and a Queens Sangria already broke soil - 36 hours... They were on a heat mat until I moved them in here, so about a day.
IMG_4645.JPG
The CLHP on the left graduated off the step stool after the pic and is caught up to the short-pheno Mimms Kush.
IMG_4646.JPG
But niether will come close to this statuesque beauty
IMG_4648.JPG
The tall Mimms had every shoot still on her until a few days ago. I took the lower woody ones and tossed them just because they would NEVER get anywhere near enough light. Then yesterday I took the middle ones and got 4 clones started. I actually only kept the tops of two of those shoots. They were about a foot tall to start with. the others were about 6", now they are all shorter
IMG_4649.JPG
IMG_4655.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Busted out the Hippie Girl Scout today and that bitch rocks. I think the Girl Scout Cookies brought some bettter flavor to the dankness of the Hippie Crippler. The buzz is a creeper/builder. Initially you're high - no doubt. But if you keep puffing a little past that you'll be rewarded. Whether it's a little more of the joint, or a nother one hitter. You get higher.

I guess that's good for lightweights that just want a one hitter, but for us tolerance builders it's a treat :)