The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am going to be taking more clones from now on, just in case I find a gem - but I'll never stop dropping beans.
72hrs and all three of the most expensive/stable/respected beans have broken soil.
IMG_4669.JPG
Several others have exploded out the gate as well. This starter soil wafers up pretty solid on top, so when the beans make a move it always bumps up a rather large chunk of soil. Af few others are starting to 'bump' as well. But sometimes if they aren't as vigorous I have had a few growing sideways under that wafer. Or wierd curly-q tails or whatever. I like to think they can all be saved.

Tomorrow morning after another full light cycle I'll take a toothpick and prick open the soil over the ones that haven't popped. just to see if they need a hand.
IMG_4666.JPG
The Auto Zkittles is plumping up a little better than the last one. I did remove two lower limbs but no other pruning.
IMG_4667.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If I have enough that don't pop, I will drop a few more, or a few fems to fill in the blanks - all with an eye towards something that might cross well with the RK or PTK. I am liking the idea of a pine-line as well as a Royal so I may keep a male of each (RK/PTK) if that's an option. Just split the girls plants between two tents with whichever seems the best pairing. They're both a true kush line with history. Multiple girls get both - good stuff :)

@J.James already did the PTK S1's so I'm not as worried about that one. But dropping three each, the possibility of having a male and female of both (PTK x RK, and RK x PTK) would be a fun thing to see grown out. My only goal is some cool beans to hunt through, maybe gift out or whatever.

This is plant day. They need water but no feeding or anything that requires an assembly line proces to keep me from fucking up and forgetting something. So I pull every plant out and spend some time with them. I'll hook up stakes, prune, LST, see which ones might be drinking faster or slower, ball-check for testers, etc. Whatever it might be, individual attention is my thing. It's why I will never do a scrog or a hydro system of any kind. I think it's meditative or something. It's good for me and it's good for the plants.

I usually get better pics then too because they aren't getting fan and are in regular room light

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Oh - shoutout to @thenotsoesoteric - fuck you buddy!
IMG_4675.JPG
I pulled out a handfull of the lvtk s1 I chopped before Christmas, and I didn't get a fucking thing done all day :ROFLMAO:
kushy-kushy-kushy - dense! Hard to break up, wierd stacked bud structure instead of just nugs pressed together. Gives your fingers a workout getting it through the grinder. Solid stuff all the way around.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Stoner note. Curious if sulfur has anythjing to do with skunkiness/dankness.

Instead of heading to the river I checked the organic Fox Farms stuff that I occasionally use. The Boomerang and Kanga-rootsboth have sulfur as one of the primary elements among a few other things that aren't NPK. There's microbial stuff supposedly there but my stuff is old. The minerals shouldn't go away. I may also just snag some that is tea-worthy if it's cheap.

I have a pack of ChemD auto's from Ethos that were a freebie. Only two beans. I want to try doing one with and one without, and going full dose (it's organic) to see if I can tell I difference in an already fuckalicious plant. They may be the first gap-fillers I drop if I have duds this round.

I have an order in progress to get some legit ChemD and Chem91 S1 fems from Nspecta at Humbolt CSI. If there's a noticable difference I will definitely get some high grade organic whatever that has a lot of sulfur and try that to get something more skunky.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Both of the 007up, and one of the Queens Sangria didn't pop. I dropped two more 007, but instead of a QS I dropped the two ChemD autos from Ethos. The PTK are doing wierd. One popped good but real short, the other two have a taproot going, but didn't push up through the soil. still helmetheads with taps. I dug around them to get the bean some light.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's the line-up so far. IMG_4752.JPG
The two tough-nut PTK I had to get violent with to remove the shells. They were growing straight down with sturdy taps, but trapped in the shell. You can see the soil level on the right cup. I dumped most of the upper layer of starter soilout to get to it. That one looks well now, the left one is still up for debate - and the freak is already acting freaky :)
IMG_4750.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Not messing with the tents tonight, but misting the babies, clones. and re-vegges with a little aloe. I got the two 007up and ChemD auto's into cups and everything looked cracked. with a nub starting. The Royal Kush that had the funky ;eaf might be a triploid. One side coty is twice the size, and bifurcated.
dud-6-10-21 RK 2.JPG dud-6-10-21 RK.JPG
I figured it was a goner anyway so I pried it open. It was attached in the middle, but separated at the bottom so it acted like a spring.
IMG_4757.JPG
The 7/3 harvest/re-veg is already showing signs of life. I've never actually seen how they sprout the new stuff. It's always a jumbled mess by the time I notice. Might be a bean though LOL.
IMG_4755.JPG
And the beginning of my new philosophy. I wish I kept the Momma Moonshine I had. I have more beans, but have been popping males. Time to drop the rest and find one and clone it. There's a few others that I have more beans of, and I either have the same thing in the pack that I liked or I don't. I'm going to dedicate more space to cloning if needed besides this mini tent.

This is my first two veg clones in the history of history - and I didn't start them :ROFLMAO:.
IMG_4759.JPG
I have had great success with flower clones, and it cuts the space requirement in half each run. I've had close to 100% success but the time it has taken to regenerate has varied wildly because of when I took them. Now that I am dedicated to it, I want to catch them as soon as they show so the transition back is not as traumatic. I usually take them as an afterthought. More like the CLHP on the bottom instead of the Mimms Kush up top. I want to keep at least one healthy clone of every girl until the smoke report.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The lone peach that survived the late frost. A jalepeno. A few early screwy looking bell's that were low on the plant. and a weeks worth of berries I have been tossing in the freezer (blackberry and mulberry)- but a storebought onion.
IMG_4754.JPG
salt, sugar, burbon and water, and cooked down to make BBQ sauce LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Random stuff -
Bucked and jarred the last of the Homecoming Queen. 4 plants total, one at 7 weeks and three at 8 weeks. The early one netted 30g dried of all sizes - nickles to peas. Kept it all for now. It's a little lighter on the fuel smell than the 8 week chop.
I did two yesterday and forgot to take pics. This is the last one. IMG_4792.JPG
Purple highlights, frosty, sticky, yummy.
IMG_4796.JPG
The crows feet pried off with the back of the scissors, as did most of those fans. very little scissor-work except snipping the individual nugs off the stem. Easy trim - tedious, but you can get in a rhythm. pry three leaves - snip bud - pry three leaves - snip next bud... I got 70g of 'keepers' that didn't go through my 1/2" bucket-grid. nothing is pretty. the tops are small, the nugs are all flat on one side, and I fucking love it :)

This is the stuff from the three plants that went through the grid. just under half an ounce, but I finally have enough to be comfortable decarbing some. This is cooking right now.
IMG_4797.JPG

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
On the next plant I want to run clones of, I want to do a small run first, or even one plant - but do a nug harvest at intervals to determine if there is a prime window for harvest and everything else is sub-prime ;) - or if there are multiple windows depending on the effect you want.

THEN grow a crop towards a specific goal or goals.

This HQ also gave out TONS of keif in dry-sift. And it's just from all those beautiful little crows-foot leaves on the base of each nug The little tips poking out of the tops (if there were any) had nothing. All the stuff in the ramen-tray pic were the lower nugs on the lower tops.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@J.James bred the Homecoming Queen with something called High School Sweetheart, and Baguettes from Aficionado. He can elaborate if he wants.

He has also started offering clones. So my goal is to get the plant re-vegged and take some clones to keep, and get one back to JJ for evaluation.

If he says "yup, that's what I bred" cool - buy a pack of beans. If he sees something special in it, then I would like to see it go worldwide. Free.

I am high and just came up with this, so he may think I'm an idiot and this goes nowhere. But I think that someone selling clones would also want to hand out an extra just in case, or a freebie, or whatever. That is where I see this fitting in.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The drying closet is now empty.
Vin Santo was 45g, fairly dense, and a really dank smell that's gonna take a while to sort out. Frosty, sticky, purple-y...
I put the dry-sift leftovers from it and the HQ in the pic for color comparison.
IMG_4798.JPG
Ground up enough for a cone and a bowl. The buzz is there, my ears are ringing a bit. The taste is spicy. Indian or Thai spice shop on the inhale. The exhale is rich, thick and oily; reminds me of one of those Acid cigars by Drew Estates.

I'm excited to see the Oilspill from this grow and see how the Purple Jelly Pie stepped in. I envision both being very dark colorful plants in late flower.
IMG_4800.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Soooooooo I am on hold with the breeding for now. I want to build a harem of clones, maybe keep a boy or two in veg, then smoke the flowewrs and see what I want to mash up. What started this was I got the test run on getting them shipped (i think) so I have these two beayties
IMG_4813.JPG
I had never planned on keeping mothers for a decade or anything, since it woulddetract from my bean dropping acreage. I mainly wanted to grow out some clones to smoke the original fire, then chuck some pollen at the moms and call it a day.

This was mainly for my knowledge base as a tester/reviewer/connoisseur/stoner and to get high... But the Homecoming Queen threw a wrench in that thinking. Reading, pod-casts etc. made me see the error of my ways :cool:. This is the beginning of my journey growing with a purpose instead of just to get high. I think I can still get my meds along the way 😁

So the beginning of my harem will include the HQ if it re-vegges, then may or may not include the CLHP and Mimms. depending on smoke.
But because I have a wealth of beans I also plan to do more dropping and culling if need be to find different stuff.
IMG_4815.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
More on the cuts. They arrived on the 11th, and went into the mini/quarantine tent. If I see anything awkward losing the Mimms/CLHP won't be that painful. Keeping them under 65w of light for now with minimal wind and exhaust trying to keep the rH up.

They went into the 3" pots with dry soil around the moist soil they came in. I hit them with aloe and coconut water alternately about once each a day.

They went until the 16th (5 days) without needing water then got soaked. Then they were ready again today (3 days). If they are light again in 2 days I'll up pot.

I want to keep them smallish so the next pot will be 1/2 gallon short/wide ones. Multiple up-pots ain't no biggie, but once they get going I'll be pruning/cloning so that can keep them from getting out of hand as well.

They are in my mini tent, but I have a spare tall tent with about the same footprint. Step one if/when they outgrow the mini will be to stick them in the tall tent. But what I would rather do is be able to keep them bonsai and healthy, and have the "tall" tent on it's side and get more area.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Busy room. I have the sprouts for tea under the seed tray. Just window screen over a mason jar sitting in a ramen tray to keep it tilted.
IMG_4833.JPG
The Auto Zkittles is doing better than the last one. Pruning a few lower limbs may have been beneficial. When the babies need up-potted she may go in 12/12 depending on what is still in flower and if I can open another veg space. And they should need it sooner being in the half-size solo's.
IMG_4837.JPG
Before anything, cup-domes off the younger ones, then everything got a few spritzes of aloe water. The vents have been open for the older ones. IMG_4834.JPG
The Royal Kush and a few other tall ones have roots to the bottom already. After getting everything damp I topped off the tall ones with dry soil to get them sturdy. Leaving the dome lid off, but the high walls up for now so there's no direct wind, but they can start getting used to the low rH.
Then cup-domes back on the three babies.
IMG_4836.JPG
And the fun begins. I am keeping clones of both, male or female. I want more of these beans if I can eventually make them. if not I will have clones to get to someone that can. The Freak and the RK are the only males I am considering keeping. It looks like the righthand one is also a triploid freak :) IMG_4835.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am trying something local and organic. I had a spearmint plant that got out of control, so I planted it near my garden for pest control. Apparently many don't like it. It grows like a strawberry putting out runners, really invasive but containable. everything is on the surface.

I dried a jarfuill of the herb last year, never used it, so I used it as a leaf mulch on the Zkittles to see what it does for gnats. It was the only real culprit in the veg space since they seem to like the flowering plants better. So far it seems to be working, so I am going to harvest a fresh batch and dry it to see if the fresher oils help.