The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
But the more I listen to these organic farmers talking their trade, it seems pretty much anything could be beneficial. There is more of a short list of stuff to avoid rather than a short list of what works. Eucalyptus, black walnut, geranium/marigold are all too high in volatile oils to be worth the risk.

If anyone knows about this stuff, jump in. I have several of last years herbs that are now yard plants and thriving besides the spearmint. Rosemary, thyme, oregano, marjoram, lavender, and catnip LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think things are going to get busy in about a week. I started putting together my spare tent 18"x36"x72"h, which is about the same footprint as my mini tent 18" x 30" x 36"h. I have a spare HLG 135 that is dimmable and will work perfect. Shifted the re-vegges in here for space.
IMG_4839.JPG
I have a 4" Vivosuck rattlefan exhaust I could use if I had to, but I'm dropping $26 on another one of these instead since time is not imperative. It is just for veg so it vents into the room - for now...
IMG_4871.JPG
Moved all the 4/20 flip back in here. This will flip to veg as soon as I can fit all remaining plants in the other tent. Most are at the "check the trichome" stage, but "At least 2 more weeks" 'eh @TreeFarmerCharlie :ROFLMAO:
IMG_4849.JPG
The later flip is in here and this will stay in flower. I have a 3.5', 3', 2.5' tall forest, and a 11" dwarf shrub 😁
IMG_4848.JPG
Stoner smoke report note. The Grapefruit smells like Bazooka Joe bubblegum at almost full cure.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Went through the yard and I am going to try some homeade IPM. IMG_4872.JPG
Clockwise from top left is lavender tops, lavender flower, Catnip flower and tops, sage, and spearmint. I am going to chop up half of it and steep it like tea, then strain for a soil spray. The other half, and the lower parts I harvested are in the dehytrator and will be a leaf mulch for one test plant.

The thing that seems cool about using stuff like this for the enzymes and such, is that you should take plants that are in the same stage of growth as your plants. So the almost dead flowering stuff has more of the active stuff that older plants use. Younger stuff for plants in veg.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I also do other random wierd stuff just to see what happens. Dry sift has become a science but the art lets you know when the material is spent. You can smell when it's done. I took a few ounces of trim that was spent and top-dressed my tomatoes :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The tea came out to ~250ppm. I have no clue what is there, but there's something and it ain't strong enough to hurt the plant if I am using it as a soil spray. I think that the mulch should be good as well. It smells mostly like the mint, but there is a bite from the catnip as well. If the lavender did anything it isn't aromatic.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Have you given any thought to muddling the mix before adding the hot water? I love the idea of knowing every facet of what goes into veggies and flowers. This is really cool.
Actually, I am thinking about brewing some EM1. This is from THC Farmer
Homemade EM1 | THCFarmer - Cannabis Cultivation Network <<<<Link

Effective Microorganisms, aka EM Technology, is a trademarked term now commonly used to describe a proprietary blend of 3 or more types of predominantly anaerobic organisms that was originally marketed as EM-1™ Microbial Inoculate but is now marketed by a plethora of companies under various names, each with their own proprietary blend. “EM™ Technology” uses a laboratory cultured mixture of microorganisms consisting mainly of lactic acid bacteria, purple bacteria, and yeast which co-exist for the benefit of whichever environment they are introduced, as has been claimed by the various em-like culture purveyors. It is reported[1] to include:

Lactic acid bacteria: Lactobacillus plantarum; L. casei; Streptococcus Lactis.
Photosynthetic bacteria: Rhodopseudomonas palustris; Rhodobacter sphaeroides.
Yeast: Saccharomyces cerevisiae; Candida utilis (no longer used) (usually known as Torula, Pichia Jadinii).
Actinomycetes (no longer used in the formulas): Streptomyces albus; S. griseus.
Fermenting fungi (no longer used in the formulas): Aspergillus oryzae; Mucor hiemalis.
The concept of ‘Friendly Microorganisms’ was developed by Japanese horticulturist Teruo Higa, from the University of the Ryukyus in Okinawa Prefecture|Okinawa, Japan. He reported in the 1970s that a combination of approximately 80 different microorganisms is capable of positively influencing decomposing organic matter such that it reverts into a ‘life promoting’ process. Higa invokes a ‘dominance principle’ to explain the effects of his ‘Effective Microorganisms’. He claims that three groups of microorganisms exist: ‘positive microorganisms’ (regeneration), ‘negative microorganisms’ (decomposition, degeneration), ‘opportunist microorganisms’. In every medium (soil, water, air, the human intestine), the ratio of ‘positive’ and ‘negative’ microorganisms is critical, since the opportunist microorganisms follow the trend to regeneration or degeneration. Therefore, Higa believes that it is possible to positively influence the given media by supplementing with positive microorganisms.

This is a recipe I learned from a friend along time ago.

EM/BAM: this a trade secret!(lactobacillus culture)

1/4 cup rice
1quart Mason Jar
1 cup water
1 fine mesh strainer
80 oz milk depends on how much one is making
1 gallon container or jar
1 tsp. black-strap molasses

Procedure:
1. Place rice and cup of water in mason jar and shake vigorously until water is cloudy white, strain off rice kernels and discard into your compost bin or cook for dinner.
2. place cap on loosely and store in a cabinet or cool dark place for 5-7 days.
3. Sift off top layer and strain liquid (serum)
4. measure your rice liquid and now add a ratio of 1 part fermented rice to 10 parts milk, I would culture in a 1 gallon jar. let sit for 5-7 days.
5. sift off curd settlement and add to your soil or feed your animals it is good for their digestion, then there should be a light yellow serum left this is your unactivated serum.
6. Add 1 tsp molasses to feed and keep your bacteria alive and refrigerate. should have a shelf life of 6-12 months.
7. to activate microorganism activities add to room temperature non-chlorinated water at a ratio of 1 part Serum to 20 parts water.
8. feed to plants either straight into soil or follicular feeding.

1624231657605.png

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have some generic corn coming for sprouting. The popcorn did nothing. Probably just old. The Barley is sprouting good.

Thinking long term I am going to be planting some barley and some corn. I might stick some of this barley out just to see if it matures before winter.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Basic barley stuff - definitely planting some. Likes the cold, winter or spring crop. This will cover my vege-garden bed this fall. Month and a half to harvest, I am going to plant a little now as well since my only goal is something that will germinate.
1624237602771.png

Good or not, it will mature before winter... :rolleyes: 😁

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Just make sure you get down as close to the soil level as you can to terminate it. I did it my first summer in our garden beds and the next year I ended up having to flip the beds because I did not get low enough and it kept coming back. I've used clover ever since since it doesn't out compete whatever I plant.

This vato uses winter rye with great success. I'll get it right someday.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Just make sure you get down as close to the soil level as you can to terminate it. I did it my first summer in our garden beds and the next year I ended up having to flip the beds because I did not get low enough and it kept coming back. I've used clover ever since since it doesn't out compete whatever I plant.

This vato uses winter rye with great success. I'll get it right someday.
Good stuff. I have clover going now, and that is my go-to cover crop. Instead of cutting it I'll yank the barley out by the roots and hang it - it's a crop. I'll plant clover again after.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm not a "weeds are evil!!!" guy. There are good ones and bad ones. And if some of the barley comes back but is not invasive, that could be the only 'crop' I need for my purposes.

Dandelions is a good one. There's a version that has a flat leaf system that grows right against the ground, then just sends up skinny stems and flowers, instead of the spiny-cabbage ones. All have deep taproots that bring up goodies to refresh crap soil. I keep them from going to seed as best I can, but I'll let them flower before I mow them down.

I have some wild blackberries maybe 50yds from the garden that produce a lot, but the berries are not that sweet, mostly not worth the scratches to pick them. But right now they have Japanese beetles on them. Nothing else does. Haven't seen one in or near my garden. I'm cool with that. Haven't had to spray anything yet. My two biggest problems are the stink bugs, which suck the juice out of tomatoes, berries, etc. and make them ugly. And the horn-worms if and when they show up. They're easy to eradicate once you see them, but there's usually some damage before you do.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I was thinking that same thing if you were keeping seed. I was surprised he let it go that long and introducing all that seed back with his tomaters
But he says that if it grows back it stays small and doesn't get in the way. Maybe that is a seasonal thing? Cool weather crop not getting big during the summer? Obviously if you put the seed in the ground and it gets water it's gonna grow. Maybe that's a good nugget to take from that.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Everything got the barley tea this morning before lights out except the babies who got coconut water, straight stream from a sports bottle, once around the cup each at the edge. One of the PTK I had to pry out of the shell is lagging, but living.
IMG_4889.JPG

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
But he says that if it grows back it stays small and doesn't get in the way. Maybe that is a seasonal thing? Cool weather crop not getting big during the summer? Obviously if you put the seed in the ground and it gets water it's gonna grow. Maybe that's a good nugget to take from that.
It re-seeds itself, when you harvest some of the seed falls out, if you want to keep it shorter withhold water, like weed when it feels stressed it will go full reproductive mode, one thing to consider is deer totally love it and will do anything to get at it once discovered by them....