The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The NL got flipped, we'll see if she stretches any
IMG_4450.JPG
The Vin Santo is back in the full tent. No pruning yet on the Mimms or CLHP - that's next.
IMG_4451.JPG
and the HQ got chopped. I just pulled her out before I went to bed. 185g / 'bout a jar' and that was leaving some to re-veg.
IMG_4458.JPG
And the most fucked up "veg" room on the forum. One Auto-fem, one male, and one re-vegging female. On the last HQ I may just pick one to try to reveg instead of all three. All I really want is one sprout to clone - two plants should get it - or none will. But hanging all the limbs individually would suck. I think they dry better whole.
IMG_4452.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
On the Homecoming Queen, once I flipped them over to prune leaves, the underside is purple. All the little pistillate calyxes at the crotch were at least tinted purple if not complete. Probably goes with the leaves turning - something else to watch for harvest.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have two dstinct pheno's on the Mimms Kush.
IMG_4461.JPG
Aside from the obvious height difference, the tall one is like two-face. The two runty limbs I kept from the third node had runty sprouts so I snipped them. Pretty far up the stem. The two upper limbs have tight-to-the-stem vertical monster clone-sprouts from the bottom to the top. I was seriously thinking about ditching the two lower limbs and just going with a two-prong shrub. Either of those limbs would be a respectable plant.
IMG_4464.JPG

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I’ve got an idea or maybe you’d call it a belief, as to why there’s no skunk around anymore, but I’m sure everyone would think I’m crazy as hell.
I am all ears Opie, let's hear.....for me it was a to though cleaning, I had a pill bottle full of skunk but I admit late 70-80s I had bred some of the goodness out by continued use of the earliest male & females, they finished by the end of August, it still would kick butt on what some call skunk these days,

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@Nobighurry My personal feeling from reading and listening is that true roadkill Skunk was a pheno of Afghani. SamSkunk had the same thing, but named it, took it to Amsterdam, made it famous etc. I don't think anyone 'invented' it. It was always there.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I try and do what the plants tell me, and I would have had more issues wondering "what if?". The other two limbs were basically growing fan leaves. I can't help but wonder if I had waited and taken this set and the next two above if they would have both been this way. The Adub competition candleabra is doing fine on the lower stuff. I think with some natural spreading from weight this will look amazing late in flower ;)
IMG_4468.JPG
So I have a goal-post temporarily with a few coat-hooks at the bottom to hang gnat traps or something :)
IMG_4469.JPG

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I am all ears Opie, let's hear.....for me it was a to though cleaning, I had a pill bottle full of skunk but I admit late 70-80s I had bred some of the goodness out by continued use of the earliest male & females, they finished by the end of August, it still would kick butt on what some call skunk these days,
I guess what I find odd is if you search Sam skunk seeds 3-4 strains with available seeds jump right out except the original roadkill skunk, in my little piece of the world in the early 80s everyone had the original skunk seeds (maybe I had some to do with that 😬) So why is the strain that started it all so hard to find...is Sam skunk still producing seeds? Wikipedia even has a blurb about Nevil (may he rest in piece) and Dave Watson aka Sam the skunkman I assume Watson is still alive maybe we can track him down and ask WTF man where is the skunk!

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I guess what I find odd is if you search Sam skunk seeds 3-4 strains with available seeds jump right out except the original roadkill skunk, in my little piece of the world in the early 80s everyone had the original skunk seeds (maybe I had some to do with that 😬) So why is the strain that started it all so hard to find...is Sam skunk still producing seeds? Wikipedia even has a blurb about Nevil (may he rest in piece) and Dave Watson aka Sam the skunkman I assume Watson is still alive maybe we can track him down and ask WTF man where is the skunk!
Buy a sack of landrace/heirlook Afghan and start hunting. It's in there. Matt Riot from Riot seeds did just that, and says he found a skunk, and kept it. Said it was over 800 beans...

Opie1

Master Grower
Well after the landraces were brought into the US and bred/crossed mostly outdoors (probably over 95% back in the day), they picked up and/or altered some traits, traits that were brought out by the plants acquiring nutrients from our native soils. My belief is that one in particular (sulphur) played a huge role in the skunk smell of what became ‘skunk’. After decades of the plants being grown indoors those traits diminished, and A LOT of growers completely quit trying to grow skunk indoors because of the risk involved, furthering the demise. I believe it’s still around in seed form, but these seeds are gonna be owned by some old timers that actually unaware of what they have, and they could care less what ‘we’ want or are looking for. But this is just my thoughts. It’s still here, someday soon somebody will find a jar/can/sack full of skunk beans.

Well after the landraces were brought into the US and bred/crossed mostly outdoors (probably over 95% back in the day), they picked up and/or altered some traits, traits that were brought out by the plants acquiring nutrients from our native soils. My belief is that one in particular (sulphur) played a huge role in the skunk smell of what became ‘skunk’. After decades of the plants being grown indoors those traits diminished, and A LOT of growers completely quit trying to grow skunk indoors because of the risk involved, furthering the demise. I believe it’s still around in seed form, but these seeds are gonna be owned by some old timers that actually unaware of what they have, and they could care less what ‘we’ want or are looking for. But this is just my thoughts. It’s still here, someday soon somebody will find a jar/can/sack full of skunk beans.
Thanks for spilling the beans Opie1 and Pfffffttt.... That's not even remotely crazy and makes totally sense and I doubt even Spock would argue your logic.
Spock Helmet.jpg
Has me wondering if I could add a bit of sulphur rich rotten eggs 5000 well water to my dwc nutes and see if I could get the ROAD KILL effect to show up on the only skunk I have in my collection Skunk #1 from Seedsman. Might as well pop 1 seeing I am on a nostalgia kick with Acapulco Gold about to go to flower and I can think of nothing better to take its place in the veg tent.
5209-original-skunk-1.jpg

Last edited:

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Thanks for spilling the beans Opie1 and Pfffffttt.... That's not even remotely crazy and makes totally sense and I doubt even Spock would argue your logic.
View attachment 93198
Has me wondering if I could add a bit of sulphur rich rotten eggs 5000 well water to my dwc nutes and see if I could get the ROAD KILL effect to show up on the only skunk I have in my collection Skunk #1 from Seedsman. Might as well pop 1 seeing I am on a nostalgia kick with Acapulco Gold about to go to flower and I can think of nothing better to take its place in the veg tent.
View attachment 93199
Who’s AG have you got? I’ve been wanting to run some.

Side note... I was totally hoping you were going to take us to crazy town with some theory on a ufo abducting what they thought was a baby cow but turned out to be a skunk and then it pissed all up in their space ship and they were all like FUCK THIS THING and then threw it on a transporter pod and accidentally hit the "Grow Weed Plant" button instead of "send over there."
SIAD.gif