SoLow's never ending thread

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Hey @spyralout I was curious... how did you attach your reflectix to your buckets on your RDWC. Did you just use tape? I'm brainstorming here...
Yes duct tape. I also used the reflective tape all the way up the seam after duct tape held it together. I'm not sure if I'll be using it again. I didn't see a big difference in insulating the buckets. Chiller kicked on a bit less but buckets still sweating. It's like bubble wrap with Mylar. I may try the r13 although it's not reflective and looks kinda ehhh. R13 + reflective material?

Last edited:

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
Yes duct tape. I also used the reflective tape all the way up the seam after duct tape held it together. I'm not sure if I'll be using it again. I didn't see a big difference in insulating the buckets. Chiller kicked on a bit less but buckets still sweating. It's like bubble wrap with Mylar. I may try the r13 although it's not reflective and looks kinda ehhh. R13 + reflective material?
Hmmm... interesting. Thanks for ther reply! Now I dunno if it's worth the effort lol

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Hmmm... interesting. Thanks for ther reply! Now I dunno if it's worth the effort lol
It was a bit of a pain especially with the limited space in the tent. I can see where some sorta insulation in the summer would help. But winter is coming soon and it might be better without it. My other concern is the reflectix harboring mold. I didn't smell or see any but I can see where it could collect in crevices. I don't think r13 molds, if it did we'd all be in trouble with it in our walls.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Btw I saw these at lowes and thought hmm :unsure:

Not sure how they stack up vs ULINE buckets. The plastic is harder, it won't bow/flex (lol 💪) and the price is right with lid. Also no shipping. ULINE shipping is expensive, they use freight because the buckets are bulky. WhyTF do all these buckets and totes that are the perfect size have see through lids?! You'd think it would be cheaper to use the same black material. All spray paint I've used comes off ("great for all plastics" my ass)

yougrowyourway

illgrowmyway
It was a bit of a pain especially with the limited space in the tent. I can see where some sorta insulation in the summer would help. But winter is coming soon and it might be better without it. My other concern is the reflectix harboring mold. I didn't smell or see any but I can see where it could collect in crevices. I don't think r13 molds, if it did we'd all be in trouble with it in our walls.
I just silver tape my buckets. I didn't really have any trouble with root temps then again I was in a basement and the floor could've been helping even with the carpet in between. Summer will be here again and I will definitely be looking to keep my temps right again so whatever youse figure out I'll most likely be giving a go. I like them commander buckets. I would just carefully silver tape the lid.

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
Btw I saw these at lowes and thought hmm :unsure:

View attachment 19046

View attachment 19047

Not sure how they stack up vs ULINE buckets. The plastic is harder, it won't bow/flex (lol 💪) and the price is right with lid. Also no shipping. ULINE shipping is expensive, they use freight because the buckets are bulky. WhyTF do all these buckets and totes that are the perfect size have see through lids?! You'd think it would be cheaper to use the same black material. All spray paint I've used comes off ("great for all plastics" my ass)
Hell yea, I was thinking of building another system. I might just have to try those, that's a great price. Yea, I never understood about the lids either... and I used primer and paint on my lids and it peeled like a mother fucker. I think if I lightly sanded the lids before painting it would stick better, but I don't care enough to try😀

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
I just silver tape my buckets. I didn't really have any trouble with root temps then again I was in a basement and the floor could've been helping even with the carpet in between. Summer will be here again and I will definitely be looking to keep my temps right again so whatever youse figure out I'll most likely be giving a go. I like them commander buckets. I would just carefully silver tape the lid.
That's a good idea! I might just do that. But temps didn't really affect me anyway. My water temps were mid 80s the entire grow. I just added H202 every 3 days or so. Roots looked awesome too

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
R 13 insulation will grow mold fyi. It doesn't mold in the average wall because of lack of humidity being trapped, the walls do breathe. Lol. Here's a pic for you. Add water and you'll get this. Lol.
View attachment 19048
Mold, bugs, birds, all of the above in the pic.
See the white and black mold on the insulation paper, and in the fiberglass. The fiberglass doesn't mold, but mold will grow on it if given moisture to do so. It will feed on the paper and the other organic stuff on, and in the fiberglass/rock wool insulation.
View attachment 19049
stupid bold text started and won't turn off. Lol.
these are pics of a small water leak we repaired. Lol, it wasn't small at all.
this repair was a $20,000 repair job.
all rotten. Had to lift the house, see my beam, and rebuild the entire lower corner, including adding a new foundation. View attachment 19050View attachment 19051

Needless to say, lol, mold will grow on most anything if given a chance.
Thanks for dropping some knowledge on us! Love the visuals too. Crazy how much damage water can do! Even small leaks

yougrowyourway

illgrowmyway
That's a good idea! I might just do that. But temps didn't really affect me anyway. My water temps were mid 80s the entire grow. I just added H202 every 3 days or so. Roots looked awesome too
Exactly if you take preventative measures you can grow healthily with minimal problems. I abuse my bitches and my last run was tenfold my first run. Everyone is blowing me up for it. Too bad I smoked it all lol. Smoking the last bowl of it as we speak. Ended up with 3/4 of a lb. I know for facts I can push over a lb out my tent. Hence why I bought another one. One for flowering and the other for projects and testers. Just so I always have meds. No matter what I have going on in my garden.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Hell yea, I was thinking of building another system. I might just have to try those, that's a great price. Yea, I never understood about the lids either... and I used primer and paint on my lids and it peeled like a mother fucker. I think if I lightly sanded the lids before painting it would stick better, but I don't care enough to try😀
I tried sanding a yellow tote lid and it still didn't stick. The tape idea is good too thanks @yougrowyourway. Yea I wanna build another one too hopefully around tax time. Next time at Lowes can you do a comparison between the commander and craftsman? Craftsman has latches. I will do one too then we can compare notes lol.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
R 13 insulation will grow mold fyi. It doesn't mold in the average wall because of lack of humidity being trapped, the walls do breathe. Lol. Here's a pic for you. Add water and you'll get this. Lol.
View attachment 19048
Mold, bugs, birds, all of the above in the pic.
See the white and black mold on the insulation paper, and in the fiberglass. The fiberglass doesn't mold, but mold will grow on it if given moisture to do so. It will feed on the paper and the other organic stuff on, and in the fiberglass/rock wool insulation.
View attachment 19049
stupid bold text started and won't turn off. Lol.
these are pics of a small water leak we repaired. Lol, it wasn't small at all.
this repair was a $20,000 repair job.
all rotten. Had to lift the house, see my beam, and rebuild the entire lower corner, including adding a new foundation. View attachment 19050View attachment 19051

Needless to say, lol, mold will grow on most anything if given a chance.
Great post and pics Jesse. I thought maybe it would be resistant somehow but obviously not. So older homes may be harboring a buncha mold in this stuff.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Do your run bennies or sterile?
Also I'm going to try and get the water temps below 65F. I've read some things about lower temps in RDWC allowing a higher PPM. The cold supposedly does slow growth a bit but keeps the pythium at bay. I don't think I can roll without chilling in my climate, at least in the summer.

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
Do your run bennies or sterile?
Also I'm going to try and get the water temps below 65F. I've read some things about lower temps in RDWC allowing a higher PPM. The cold supposedly does slow growth a bit but keeps the pythium at bay. I don't think I can roll without chilling in my climate, at least in the summer.
I tried hydroguard before and it didn't work well, my roots looked like shit. I'm completely sterile now with the h2o2. It kills all the bacteria, good or bad. U gotta keep up with it tho. Thankfully peroxide is like 85 cents for those big brown bottles at Walmart

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I tried hydroguard before and it didn't work well, my roots looked like shit. I'm completely sterile now with the h2o2. It kills all the bacteria, good or bad. U gotta keep up with it tho. Thankfully peroxide is like 85 cents for those big brown bottles at Walmart
I think HG by itself isn't enough, hence the tea. I would like to try sterile but my setup and environment don't allow for that at the moment.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Only of there's water present, or the right humidity along with wrong wall type.
If your good on RH in the walls and no water present then it's all fine. Takes a supply of water or humid conditions for it to grow.
Alot of houses they sealed up with plastic and didn't have the correct insulation have had mold issues.
Not enough insulation and the dew point forms inside the wall, and or humidity hits the plastic, condenses like on a cup, and youve got water out of thin air. Lol.
But in general, no there's not an issue with older homes and such unless water leaks etc happen.
Actually less of an issue with older homes as they weren't very well sealed, drafty and such kept everything pretty dry inside and out. Again, with exception of water leaks. Lol.
Can you think of a good insulation material that doesn't mold?