Skunk Hunters

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Do you want me to tell him you think he's a tool? I'm in direct communication with the guy.
I doubt he cares, but if it'll get a laugh then fine. As far as the S1's - for Skunk in particular because of the uproar someone with the legit stuff that is also a longtime breeder wanting to water it down not once but twice with two non-skunky strains just because they have skunk in the name seems odd. Like he already had the SkunkXXX name and wanted three things in there, fuck all if it's actually skunky.

There is nothing wrong with the plants, they were pretty, the nugs all finished up like perfect little pinecones, nice dark brown on the pistils instead of the orange, frosty, gets you high, but SkunkXXX has no skunk.

His French Macaron freebie he tossed in with it hermed like a mofo.

None of which has anything to do with the fact that this professional podcaster (for example) get's Duke Diamond on the show, and doesn't talk breeding because he is a lesser man in that regard. SO they talk prison food and gross stuff and it's a wasted interview because Adam is an egotistical tool.

And his seeds are hit and miss like most.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
How did the Skunk plant get to the Kentucky and Ohio area before the rest of the country started seeing it?
The theory is that it was a seed of whatever strain - maybe Afghani or something - that took on the terrior of that region and became skunk. From the weather, the soil, the elevation, whatever.

At some point Sam got it and did his thing, then took it to Amsterdam and tried to make it his. No one in Amsterdam knew what a skunk was and they liked their hazes - so other than being used in a LOT of breeding by Neville it was handed out as freebies because it wasn't popular.

Which means that the point that the "Skunk1" story starts is where you need to go back to if we want to find what happened to the plants that didn't go to europe.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Did Neville Shoenmaker make any trips to Kentucky and/or the midwest before he left for Amsterdam?
I think Matt Riot and Notsodog talk about the stories in the original catalogs, and they mention the origins of most things and a lot were from various regions of the US. Not sure if people sent him seeds after he sent out the catalog or if they were what he used to start his catalog or how that all worked out. Like Seatle Greg with the Northern Lights and Skunkman Sam. Sam also peddled his seeds to Sensi and another bank or two over there.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Matt Riot's podcasts have the most accurate info on the history of where these strains came from.
One thing, it's highly underestimated on just how much seed were being produced in the 70's and 80's.
Hell, there's 20 or 30 people in a 5 square mile radius of me that have seed.
Heirloom seeds are everywhere.
I do see a shift beginning to happen,
breeders are going back to the older strains with their unique tastes and aromas looking for the entourage effects.
Plenty of poly hybrids being grown out now.
No one knows exactly what they are growing in today's world.
Way to much BS being spread amongst the internet forums and seed companies.
Hell 75% of the strains out there being sold are from GHS/Dinafem seeds since about 2004.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
First hemp crop was grown in 1775 in Kentucky. From there it spread to the midwest.
I guess you would call it a landrace strain if it was grown in the area for over 200 years.
My question is, did the hemp smell like a Skunk's ass back then? lol
Did Neville Shoenmaker make any trips to Kentucky and/or the midwest before he left for Amsterdam?
Did Sam the Skunkman?
How did the Skunk plant get to the Kentucky and Ohio area before the rest of the country started seeing it?
i've seen a lot of hemp,along rail road tracks next to river, for miles, at the time, the skunk we hear of it before,we saw it, some people got beans.all the good shit , was droped out of state(more money),just not far enough.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
We had it around in 1978. Hawaiian and Matanuska was being grown around the same time.
Everything was being grown that people could get their hands on. Imagine Columbian Gold under a T8 light. lol
Skunk had been out quite a few years before the age of seed banks.
Neville and Sensi Seed Bank was carrying the "good shit" as far as genetic lines.
I think the Cat Piss, RKS, and others came from their Skunk lines.
I bought almost every Skunk type they offered in 2001 and 2002.
I have a clusterfuck of a seed collection. lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's is part of the basis of my thinking - compared to what I have heard that supports it. The first beans I bought were Superskunk from ILGM. I had heard none of these stories or podcasts and I was pissed. I said 'fuck skunk' and moved on for a few years.
I have had several crosses with pairs of skunks or skunk and something else. Nothing was skunk.

On the left is the SkunkXXX from THSeeds. Right is Polecat 91 from Dominion. The Polecat is more what I remember but it's more of a skunky cabbage smell, not the animal. That difference could definitely be in the growing medium and style, drying, curing and storage. I was tempted to put a baggie of it in my sock for the day and see...

The SkunkXXX is a little stinky, mostly not. I can see a person from Denmark that has never smelled a skunk saying "this must be it" LOL.
It is production weed. Refined and not what we got in the 80's, even though it claimed to have some in it. Beautiful uniform nugs, visually stunning, and the high is pretty nice. But it ain't skunk - and Adam Dunn is still a tool :)
IMG_4698.JPG

Slowdrawl

PICK YOUR OWN
We had it around in 1978. Hawaiian and Matanuska was being grown around the same time.
Everything was being grown that people could get their hands on. Imagine Columbian Gold under a T8 light. lol
Neville and Sensi Seed Bank was carrying the "good shit" as far as genetic lines.
Ha Columbian Gold under t8s.
1976 had four t8 grolux tubes mounted on some plywood.
Had them in my bedroom for a month or so then transplanted outside.
Finally chopped the females in late Oct. clear trichs with very light disappointing buzz.
Didn't know shit about growing pot back then.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Finally chopped the females in late Oct. clear trichs with very light disappointing buzz.
Things sure have changed since then. lol
We called the good shit (Afghan/Skunk) "90 day" back then.
7 to 8 week flower and it was done.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Here's is part of the basis of my thinking - compared to what I have heard that supports it. The first beans I bought were Superskunk from ILGM. I had heard none of these stories or podcasts and I was pissed. I said 'fuck skunk' and moved on for a few years.
I have had several crosses with pairs of skunks or skunk and something else. Nothing was skunk.

On the left is the SkunkXXX from THSeeds. Right is Polecat 91 from Dominion. The Polecat is more what I remember but it's more of a skunky cabbage smell, not the animal. That difference could definitely be in the growing medium and style, drying, curing and storage. I was tempted to put a baggie of it in my sock for the day and see...

The SkunkXXX is a little stinky, mostly not. I can see a person from Denmark that has never smelled a skunk saying "this must be it" LOL.
It is production weed. Refined and not what we got in the 80's, even though it claimed to have some in it. Beautiful uniform nugs, visually stunning, and the high is pretty nice. But it ain't skunk - and Adam Dunn is still a tool :)
View attachment 127458
If I was looking for Skunk, I'd hit up Sensi Seed and get the Sensi Skunk, Shiva Skunk, Early Skunk, Super Skunk or Skunk #1 regular seed.
"Afghan Skunk" would be my first choice from any of the older seed banks.
Nirvana Seed bank for example, is one of the older seed banks out there. They have as good of seed as anyone else.
Neville worked with Nirvana too.
All these seed companies buy from each other and grow out and rename the strain.
Dinafem had some very nice seed 15 years ago.
It's all the same shit, just different names.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Sensi Skunk, Shiva Skunk, Early Skunk, Super Skunk or Skunk #1 regular seed.
Skunk #1 was the Non-skunk skunk that Sam took to Europe.

Shiva Skunk is Skunk#1 x NL5 or vice versa. The NL5 was added by Neville to try and bring the stink back. It was labeled as Superskunk, then when he went to jail and Gypsy Nirvana bought all his seeds - then hired him to breed his own damn stuff - they changed the name to Shiva.
Not sure about the Sensi Skunk, but anything that has feet is Europe is a waste of time.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
But no one has come away from any podcasts these guys are on or events these guys are at saying "damn! he has it in the jar!"

Everyone can say they have the seeds. According to the story Skunk#1 was so popular it was given away as freebies - so everyone and their brother can have a "legit cut", or an original pack of Skunk1 seeds and it doesn't mean a thing. It was never the skunk.

Catpiss is amonia terps and not skunk. I think James Loud is another sketch artist with credentials.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Those of us that are/were hunting those skunk strains that came around in the late 70's early 80's, it was all before Sam did his thing, or while he was doing it. The seeds that went to europe then came back as "skunk" this and that were not.

This is all going back to that regional thing. Wherever Skunkman Sam originally got the stuff he bred the stink out of is where it still may be - because that's probably where the rest of us were getting it from too. And that is if Sam ever had legit skunk smelling skunk to start with.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Those of us that are/were hunting those skunk strains that came around in the late 70's early 80's, it was all before Sam did his thing, or while he was doing it. The seeds that went to europe then came back as "skunk" this and that were not.

This is all going back to that regional thing. Wherever Skunkman Sam originally got the stuff he bred the stink out of is where it still may be - because that's probably where the rest of us were getting it from too. And that is if Sam ever had legit skunk smelling skunk to start with.
Sam intentionally bred the Skunk smell out. Neville is the one that bred for the Skunk smell.
It was in Sensi Seed collection. That where I got it.
That was 20 years ago when the Skunk was still around.
All this research, I did back then.

Last edited:

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
my front bedroom in my 1st mobile home ,had a 8 foot x near 3ft. closet took, a blue tip wrench to the wings on the fixture slimed that four bulb t5x8 ft. to fit instant ,grow room. cicra 1972
self induced missery!;)

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member

very true!