Skunk Hunters

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I thought I was doing a bad job of drying/curing but I guess it was more than that...You have to have the terps to start with. Its like a the difference between a fresh roasted bag of espresso beans from the local Italian market or a can of Folgers. (not hateing on Folgers) But it dose not smell like espresso. I guess thats why people put French Vanilla and Carmel and shit to add flavor?

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I thought I was doing a bad job of drying/curing but I guess it was more than that...You have to have the terps to start with. Its like a the difference between a fresh roasted bag of espresso beans from the local Italian market or a can of Folgers. (not hateing on Folgers) But it dose not smell like espresso. I guess thats why people put French Vanilla and Carmel and shit to add flavor?
I was puzzled as to why I wasn't getting the smell intensity when I started buying seed again in 2018, but the attractiveness of the flowers won the day. I had no idea since my last seed purchases it had changed so much. So I started learning that it was intentionally bred this way.
SMH... sorta took the fun out of anticipating the magic that happens.
After awhile, I just hoped for any smell out all. lol
No, seriously, the war on drugs was the rock that split the stream of genetics being worked with.
Since the "cornbread" thing, that area of states still under prohib has been punished big time. Made it so hard to grow, people were forced to stop and now those old timers are dying off that possibly has genetic crosses never seen for a very long time.
I believe there will be a big change against the market coming in the next few years.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think more breeders are finding and keeping those old lineages when they can, but other than CSI there's no one selfing things so we can hunt through the originals.

That said, all these new crosses came from all that old stuff. The fire is still there and when a good breeder is involved maybe even better in some cases. Most of the stuff I am liking is either old school, or one of it's crosses.

I think that if most of us that are now weed snobs got a baggie of the same exact skunk we got in 1980 we would dig on the smell, but the high would be *meh*.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I agree, the weed was a lot different than today. Also, it was on a whole other level from what seed we all had been growing a year earlier. Then within 2 or 3 years(81-82), the potency and quality (growing, curing, etc) was climbing and that time, there was only one name for it all, Skunk.
Funny thing just happened,
was separating some males in the back yard and landlord drove by on his 4 wheeler and said,
I can smell that stuff, you better be careful.
I said with a grin, can you really? lmao!
Honest this happened less than an hr ago.
We got to talking about it, and I started explaining why.
He doesn't mess with it so I respectfully try and keep things out of site.
Gonna be an interesting run.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I agree, the weed was a lot different than today. Also, it was on a whole other level from what seed we all had been growing a year earlier. Then within 2 or 3 years(81-82), the potency and quality (growing, curing, etc) was climbing and that time, there was only one name for it all, Skunk.
Funny thing just happened,
was separating some males in the back yard and landlord drove by on his 4 wheeler and said,
I can smell that stuff, you better be careful.
I said with a grin, can you really? lmao!
Honest this happened less than an hr ago.
We got to talking about it, and I started explaining why.
He doesn't mess with it so I respectfully try and keep things out of site.
Gonna be an interesting run.
Be Safe!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Another thing about the Appalacian region and why skunk could have survived there (and may still when a few more states open up) is that there is still a large population of actual skunks. The simple whiff of a skunk is not out of the ordinary - or probable cause

Following that logic through, there are lots of skunky strains that smell mainly like weed. If one survived it is most likely the skunkiest one, with maybe other local scents like pine.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Another thing about the Appalacian region and why skunk could have survived there (and may still when a few more states open up) is that there is still a large population of actual skunks. The simple whiff of a skunk is not out of the ordinary - or probable cause

Following that logic through, there are lots of skunky strains that smell mainly like weed. If one survived it is most likely the skunkiest one, with maybe other local scents like pine.
My opinion, if that stuff survived, there's a good chance one of the "cornbread" crew's family and/or friends is sitting on it along with other heirloom seeds from that time period. There's really not much info out there about what happened after guys started going to jail. No one talked about it until recent years when the reporter guy who grew up in that area done a story about what happened. I knew a little about it because of guys I worked with and friends that had ties to area, but had no idea how big it was until I heard Mr. Becketts interview.
If there is any left, it's being worked with right now by someone from that surviving crew.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Back 5 or 6 years ago when I was posting on RIU.
I remember this guy called himself Psychedeliac "not correct spelling", something like that!
Guy claimed to have ties to the original RKS cuts from KY.
Never followed it much, guy wrote books for posts. Might still be around?
Maybe in the next couple years some of these old genetics will come out to play.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I must have had some different Skunk, "Kind Bud" not always Skunk but always good. We got it from old dead heads that brought it back from the dead shows for $60 a Quater...no seeds. It would come around in later part of October into December, it rarley lasted into the next year. The stuff I remember was not far off from an Acid trip if you smoked enough.The flavor coated your mouth for hours. I never had the pleasure of finding a seed but the rumor was if you found one "the guy " would give you a quater. Later in life I grew out bag seed in early 2000's from "Just some good weed" in a flood and drain (no special sulfur enriched dirt) that shit stunk so bad it made me stop growing for several years. ( Should have saved some) For most of the 2000's everything smelled like skunk in my area, maybe a bag of Blueberry every now and then but mostly Skunky lime green, sticky fresh buds, I suppose mostly indoor from clones, No Brickweed!. I had only seen Purple weed online. Through out this time seeds were immposible to find. I was ready to fly to Colorado and smuggle some seeds back :sneaky:. Then I found GPS (I was actually looking for low odor strains at the time LOL)...I found em:cautious: Its not just the smell of A Skunk, there is FLAVOR, I can smoke 5 different strains from the dispo that I can not tell one from the other. They have strong effects but I really dont enjoy smoking them. I did find one appropriately named"Petrol Station" that is decent. Its still not the skunk. You know if its the real Skunk if it keeps whispering little puffs of its scent into your nose and mouth calling out to pack another bowl, cause you probably wouldnt be able to finish a joint.:giggle:
try some of the runtz , don't have a lot of smell, stem rub faint gojo smell.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Back 5 or 6 years ago when I was posting on RIU.
I remember this guy called himself Psychedeliac "not correct spelling", something like that!
Guy claimed to have ties to the original RKS cuts from KY.
Never followed it much, guy wrote books for posts. Might still be around?
it must not be out there by word of mouth ,know close to half of 1 county,takin the ferry into the area across the river , to get there , search for 6.2 gm engine ,know several local dirt car racers and tags , thru about 3 countys roaming around.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
they also have alcohol for coffee,1st thing in the morning recharge, at noon 3 drink min.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I personally have a pack of TH Seeds "Skunk XXX" (previously mentioned) that has '82 Kentucky Skunk as a component. Legit or not, it's a thing.

I just haven't seen anyone busting out jars and other people around them saying "that's IT!!!"

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I think the same guy is on IG now with ‘Ky Afghan Skunk’
Are you guys talking about that Blue Skies Vienna?
There's another goes by I Grow Skunk on THFarmer.
It's highly possible someone still has a decendent in seed form.
There's no telling the amount of seed that's out in prohib lands.
Everyone around collects seeds of some kind. You ain't gonna find them on IG or some grow forum.
Most stuffed them away in a drawer or box and forgot about them.
When the person dies, they get thrown away as garbage.
End of story.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
When the person dies, they get thrown away as garbage.
End of story.
Unless it's a generational hillbilly grow just like the hippies in Mendo, then stuff is being passed down.

I'm not sure the market in the prohib. Pretty sure it's still 'take-what-you-can-find-and-hope-it's-good" land unless you grow your own. So there may be Skunk still on the streets and it's on the downlow just like the grows.

Or not.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
That was the only one that purpled a little, the other green ones have more of the skunk/gas. The purple pheno was the one with the Gas/Blueberry smells. It takes trimming to figure out wich one are the stinkers. When I trimmed the green ones it was obvious thats where the Skunk smell was hiding. All this stuff has plenty of potency too. Its like what we used to call creeper. It takes a few minutes to hit you then....🤯 Nice Job @No Waisted Space