Skunk Hunters

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Sam and the Haze brothers were neighbors before Sam ever left the states. Sam went to jail and Neville bought Sam out and started Sensi Seed(?). Neville worked with Gypsie of Nirvana Seeds also. Dinefem was carrying the Critical + (What the so called RKS today in my opinion)
I personally bought 6 or 7 different Skunk lines, Sacred Seed, Sensi Seed included 25 years ago.
Mine carry the esters. There's phenos of floral in mine also.
Bottom line, people just stopped growing Skunk because there was so many new strains being developed.
The market was changing.
the pine u could hide in the right place , there was no hideing the real skunk , rippers drove back roads and used three wheelers ripping patches !

Last edited:

Slowdrawl

PICK YOUR OWN
I remember when Skunk came to my area of Or. 79-80.
1st time I'd seen and eighth go for $30 and $200 oz.
I bought an eighth just to try it, crazy skunk smell with a strong buzz to the face and that was it??
At the time I was getting lbs of untied Thai for $1,400, I sold ozs for $140.
The skunk couldn't even touch the Thai, not even close.
Flash in the pan....didn't stick around long.

Slowdrawl

PICK YOUR OWN
To this day, the old 2009 Super Lemon Haze is hard to beat for buzz and flavor.
I did like the Cat Piss flower from last summer a lot. lol
I totally agree on that, one of my favorites.
Grew a SLH from Greenhouse seeds and got 1 1/2 lbs of rock solid bud, shit was addicting!
Smoked on that for a year. Next in line for me would be LVTK from Cannaventure.
Ya'll can have the skunk!

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I totally agree on that, one of my favorites.
Grew a SLH from Greenhouse seeds and got 1 1/2 lbs of rock solid bud, shit was addicting!
Smoked on that for a year. Next in line for me would be LVTK from Cannaventure.
Ya'll can have the skunk!
There were 2 phenos of SLH, I had the sweet, creamy, buttery vanilla pheno.
The LVTK has the same aroma.
Lemon Skunk was used in both strains.
I still have a unopened container of LVTK.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I bought an eighth just to try it, crazy skunk smell with a strong buzz to the face and that was it??
We were getting green sensi bud for 80 oz in 78.
90 bucks a 1/4lb for potent Columbian.
By 1980, the pure Afghan from the Hindu Kush region(37th parallel) arrived in Kentucky and surrounding areas and possibly became the original Skunk hybrid. There was tons of pot being grown in 10 different states from them boys.
37th and 38th parallels were ideal to grow it.
From what I'm gathering those Kentucky boys new what they were doing.
Interesting story behind it all.

Slowdrawl

PICK YOUR OWN
Moved from OK. to Or. in 75.
Went from paying $10 a baggie for brick weed to $35 an oz for sticky Columbian!
Moving to Or put a whole different perspective on weed.
Hell in 1976 got pulled over by a cop in Portland for smoking a joint in the car.....$35 ticket???
WTF I've found the wonderland!! Haven't smoked shit weed in 48yrs :)

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
By 1980, the pure Afghan from the Hindu Kush region(37th parallel) arrived in Kentucky and surrounding areas and possibly became the original Skunk hybrid. There was tons of pot being grown in 10 different states from them boys.
Shit, I'm a collector. I never claimed to be a professional breeder, but I did hope that one day it would be legal and I might have a business at it.
We all were taught how to hunt and fish, raise animals and grow a garden when we were young. It's second nature when living in the country.
i still have grapes,and a pear,and a cherry tree from the old home place !

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
hell u have to find good dirt or build it around here, to get them to grow,the ground is sand, red rock,lime stone or clay. very few spots have good soil( most good ground the cops check regular) ,even the flood plain( by the river) is a tough ground to try to grow in.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
soil samples worked by state ag dept. all those old boys were set!

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
i rember cutin 5 skunk plants on the back 40 , loaded them in the cab of the 3x3 chevy rubber mats on the floorboards ,i washed that truck out with dawn dish soap, the next day my buddy wanted to know if i did any good on weight. old truck smelled bad for a week, even left the windows down at night.smell of 7 or eight skunks skint out by someone who never tryed to skin one !

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I must have had some different Skunk, "Kind Bud" not always Skunk but always good. We got it from old dead heads that brought it back from the dead shows for $60 a Quater...no seeds. It would come around in later part of October into December, it rarley lasted into the next year. The stuff I remember was not far off from an Acid trip if you smoked enough.The flavor coated your mouth for hours. I never had the pleasure of finding a seed but the rumor was if you found one "the guy " would give you a quater. Later in life I grew out bag seed in early 2000's from "Just some good weed" in a flood and drain (no special sulfur enriched dirt) that shit stunk so bad it made me stop growing for several years. ( Should have saved some) For most of the 2000's everything smelled like skunk in my area, maybe a bag of Blueberry every now and then but mostly Skunky lime green, sticky fresh buds, I suppose mostly indoor from clones, No Brickweed!. I had only seen Purple weed online. Through out this time seeds were immposible to find. I was ready to fly to Colorado and smuggle some seeds back :sneaky:. Then I found GPS (I was actually looking for low odor strains at the time LOL)...I found em:cautious: Its not just the smell of A Skunk, there is FLAVOR, I can smoke 5 different strains from the dispo that I can not tell one from the other. They have strong effects but I really dont enjoy smoking them. I did find one appropriately named"Petrol Station" that is decent. Its still not the skunk. You know if its the real Skunk if it keeps whispering little puffs of its scent into your nose and mouth calling out to pack another bowl, cause you probably wouldnt be able to finish a joint.:giggle:

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I must have had some different Skunk, "Kind Bud" not always Skunk but always good. We got it from old dead heads that brought it back from the dead shows for $60 a Quater...no seeds. It would come around in later part of October into December, it rarley lasted into the next year. The stuff I remember was not far off from an Acid trip if you smoked enough.The flavor coated your mouth for hours. I never had the pleasure of finding a seed but the rumor was if you found one "the guy " would give you a quater. Later in life I grew out bag seed in early 2000's from "Just some good weed" in a flood and drain (no special sulfur enriched dirt) that shit stunk so bad it made me stop growing for several years. ( Should have saved some) For most of the 2000's everything smelled like skunk in my area, maybe a bag of Blueberry every now and then but mostly Skunky lime green, sticky fresh buds, I suppose mostly indoor from clones, No Brickweed!. I had only seen Purple weed online. Through out this time seeds were immposible to find. I was ready to fly to Colorado and smuggle some seeds back :sneaky:. Then I found GPS (I was actually looking for low odor strains at the time LOL)...I found em:cautious: Its not just the smell of A Skunk, there is FLAVOR, I can smoke 5 different strains from the dispo that I can not tell one from the other. They have strong effects but I really dont enjoy smoking them. I did find one appropriately named"Petrol Station" that is decent. Its still not the skunk. You know if its the real Skunk if it keeps whispering little puffs of its scent into your nose and mouth calling out to pack another bowl, cause you probably wouldnt be able to finish a joint.:giggle:
An "ester leaner" would completely overwhelm the delicate noses of guys that's never smelled one before.
H A F is right about one thing, that certain Skunk aroma isn't for everyone's palette.
But do you really wanna live in a world without Piss n Blueberries?

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
An "ester leaner" would completely overwhelm the delicate noses of guys that's never smelled one before.
H A F is right about one thing, that certain Skunk aroma isn't for everyone's palette.
But do you really wanna live in a world without Piss n Blueberries?
At 1st the Cat piss thing sounds bad, Cat piss is not somthing you want to smell. It somthing about it mixing with the weed smells that makes it different. Its not the same Cat piss I smell when I walk by my neighbors house that has 12 cats. Its different.Then throw in some Bluberry and its a great combination, I dont know how it works but it does. There is a IPA at a local brewery thats called "Cat Piss" its a top seller....imagine that, " I would like two pints of Cat Piss!" I forget wich one but I guess there is a Hop that carries the Cat piss Trait. So I guess it goes good with beer too.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
At 1st the Cat piss thing sounds bad, Cat piss is not somthing you want to smell. It somthing about it mixing with the weed smells that makes it different. Its not the same Cat piss I smell when I walk by my neighbors house that has 12 cats. Its different.Then throw in some Bluberry and its a great combination, I dont know how it works but it does. There is a IPA at a local brewery thats called "Cat Piss" its a top seller....imagine that, " I would like two pints of Cat Piss!" I forget wich one but I guess there is a Hop that carries the Cat piss Trait. So I guess it goes good with beer too.
In Breaking Bad, they steal 1000 gals of "cat piss". lol
This deal with Skunk is anything that smells even remotely "skunk like" are labeled as a Skunk strain.
When an older person from the Skunk era orders seed and when grown smells nothing like Skunk as they remembered the experience, it's not that it's not, it's just been bred so much and basically water down to the point, it's just a name. Skunk is a 1000 different varieties now that is branched off in all these different directions. Mine included.
But when you find certain pheno types, it's undeniable it's in there, but at what %.
The 5 I grew last summer is such a tiny part of what is capable from them. Barely scratches the surface.
I'm glad you at least found one that shows the potential of what is buried in my crosses.
There's plenty of duds, but there is some that really shines in other directions like Blueberries and Cat Piss. It actually is a good combo, especially if the nasty piss gets a dominate roll in the overall aroma.
There's so much potential for a totally new path of flavors, if...you can harness the trait and not lose it after a little breeding.
Next time I find another high in esters, I will try and make some fems and see where this goes.
I never took all this breeding shit to serious over the years. I bred what I liked and what others liked, until 2018 when I hooked up with GPS.
Now I am back to my own stuff again and will stay there for the unforseen future. Going for flavor and not bag appeal that I truly miss since the change.
Would have liked to gave some Autos a shot, just to see. Has to be better than when autos first become popular.