Skunk Hunters

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Another thread for people looking for Skunk, or may have it and want to share it. I like many others often think about the days when you new who had it because you could smell it! Throughout the years the true Skunk has all but dissapeared. There was a time when every seed I popped had the potential to stink so bad it could be a problem...not anymore! So many breeders have introduced the hype strains into thier genetics to get that frosty instagram pic to send them to the top of the hype list that flavor and oder has gone out the window. I think this is reaching a crisis level and someone needs to do somthing about it. I think the best place to start is here, a small group of top notch growers who know the difference between the smell of Skunk and Bullshit.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Thanks to @ No Waisted Space, I have started a hunt through some old seed that has been held tight for many years.
I have popped 8 of these seeds. I got 100% germination and 6 outta 8 were females. Out of the 6 females I had 3 phenotypes. They all have a slight Skunkyness to them. I recently chopped them and they will be ready for smoking in a few weeks. This is the 1st time in a while I have had problem with oder from a grow...Thats a good sign. Here is a couple of bud shots. I will be updating here as I pop these seeds. Out of all the seeds I have hoarded, these will be at the top of my list .20230402_132649 (1).jpg20230402_132638.jpg20230402_132600.jpg20230402_132529.jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
IMHO - the skunky smells were part of the early growing, drying, and curing practices we have since evolved from. You want to go out in the woods with a pocketfull of Peters 10-10-10 and a hand pump to get creek water, then hang dry in the sunshine and cure it in a turkey bag - then carry your headstash in a fold-n-close sandwich bag in your sock during the schoolday ;)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
On a more serious note, though I think👆 that's part of it, the thing I remember most was that it was the first memorable weed I smoked.

But why was it memorable? The smell was part of it but it was fresh. It was not compressed, at least what I got, so it was not fermented or anything from being in a brick. That was unique enough when Nancy Reagan was pResident LOL - but I also remember a pine scent.

The high I remember wasn't that great, just new. It made me feel cool in the face, giggly, high shool high. Spicolli in a baggie 😜 I don't remember it lasting long, being stupid potent or anything else, I think it was more ste and setting, and the first real sticky-bud.

So if the high wasn't that great plus it stunk - THAT would explain why it "disappeared", but also why people are hunting a smell and not a high. I prefer effect, so I am not looking. I have a sew strains with skunk in the name but I will be looking for that high, not a smell.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Thanks to @ No Waisted Space, I have started a hunt through some old seed that has been held tight for many years.
I have popped 8 of these seeds. I got 100% germination and 6 outta 8 were females. Out of the 6 females I had 3 phenotypes. They all have a slight Skunkyness to them. I recently chopped them and they will be ready for smoking in a few weeks. This is the 1st time in a while I have had problem with oder from a grow...Thats a good sign. Here is a couple of bud shots. I will be updating here as I pop these seeds. Out of all the seeds I have hoarded, these will be at the top of my list .View attachment 127066View attachment 127067View attachment 127068View attachment 127069
It's all in the genetics. The real Skunk is hard to find unless you bred for it.

bobross

Old timer here, I find this post very interesting because I was there when "skunk" hit the streets. (at least my streets)

Back in the mid 80's we as smokers and the dealers, rarely mentioned strain names. I did hear words like, Sinsemilla, Indica, and last but not least Skunk. So I know where your going with this. Skunk hit the streets hard and it was potent weed. I didnt like it though, but back in those days you took what you could get, there was no choosing. (liked the high, didnt like stinking like a skunk while carrying a baggie of buds)

Coming back to weed today, I'm always looking for those sweet, perfumy buds like the good sinsemilla bud back in the 80's but those slowly faded with the mixture of "skunk" slowly being added to everything

Its cool to see you looking for it, I dont see " skunk" listed as a strain name often, but I know exactly what your looking for. Good luck I hope you find one of the true oldies... Someone should work on getting the good old "skunk" strain brought back pure. Maybe name it Pepe Le Pew.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Old timer here, I find this post very interesting because I was there when "skunk" hit the streets. (at least my streets)

Back in the mid 80's we as smokers and the dealers, rarely mentioned strain names. I did hear words like, Sinsemilla, Indica, and last but not least Skunk. So I know where your going with this. Skunk hit the streets hard and it was potent weed. I didnt like it though, but back in those days you took what you could get, there was no choosing. (liked the high, didnt like stinking like a skunk while carrying a baggie of buds)
Back in the '80's it was called skunk because it smelled like skunk. Period. It was not "Skunk1" or "Superskunk" or anything of the kind. We had red bud supposedly from Panama, gold from Colombia, Mexi-brown-brick, and pretty much anything local/fresh was given a name based on traits. Sticky-bud was a general term for weed that was not compressed, didn't crumble, and had some green left ;) . Most sticky-bud that came around had a skunk aroma in some form, but a few were potent smells.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Back in the '80's it was called skunk because it smelled like skunk. Period. It was not "Skunk1" or "Superskunk" or anything of the kind. We had red bud supposedly from Panama, gold from Colombia, Mexi-brown-brick, and pretty much anything local/fresh was given a name based on traits. Sticky-bud was a general term for weed that was not compressed, didn't crumble, and had some green left ;) . Most sticky-bud that came around had a skunk aroma in some form, but a few were potent smells.
I totally agree.
Skunk #1, Super Skunk, etc was that particular breeder's "version" of what the name applied to. Nothing more.
The Skunk subject is complex because of it's history.
Skunk breeding is in almost every strain out there in one form or another.
The less diluted, the more it carries the possibilities of having "thiol"? in higher amounts or whatever it is, but it is definitely genetics and not "grower error" giving off these types of odors, especially in full flower.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
We have all been growing, drying, curing, and storing and there are skunk smells at various times. One of the seed catalogs back in the day credited the "Appalacian region" for the Skunk. I lived in North Georgia in the 80's and that makes sense. I think the specific terrior had something to do with the smell being dominant, and being able to stick with the plant long term. If it's sulfur in the soil that makes sense as well, smell well water in those areas and you'll get the sulfur. More north I think towards WV/KY and into the Ohio Valley the water gets stinkier - I see correlation LOL

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
We have all been growing, drying, curing, and storing and there are skunk smells at various times. One of the seed catalogs back in the day credited the "Appalacian region" for the Skunk. I lived in North Georgia in the 80's and that makes sense. I think the specific terrior had something to do with the smell being dominant, and being able to stick with the plant long term. If it's sulfur in the soil that makes sense as well, smell well water in those areas and you'll get the sulfur. More north I think towards WV/KY and into the Ohio Valley the water gets stinkier - I see correlation LOL
LOL
Make all the excuses you want.
It's still the "genetics". lol.

Attachments

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
LOL
Make all the excuses you want.
It's still the "genetics". lol.
I never said it wasn't the genetics. But it was genetics that were grown in a specific region, rather than a strain everyone could get seeds for from a catalog. Hell, some may have been catalog seeds - grown in that region.

Remember the prohibition thing that is still going on - in several of those states in the region? I don't think it's lost, but I don't think finding the right bean is all it's gonna take.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I never said it wasn't the genetics. But it was genetics that were grown in a specific region, rather than a strain everyone could get seeds for from a catalog. Hell, some may have been catalog seeds - grown in that region.

Remember the prohibition thing that is still going on - in several of those states in the region? I don't think it's lost, but I don't think finding the right bean is all it's gonna take.
All you can do is find the closest representation of what you remember from your past.
And when you find one that's carrying these esters, you'll know it.
Prohibition is still concentrated on all the key states where this was grown.
The Emerald Triangle of the East.
You might like "Cornbread Mafia"

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
All you can do is find the closest representation of what you remember from your past.
And when you find one that's carrying these esters, you'll know it.
Prohibition is still concentrated on all the key states where this was grown.
The Emerald Triangle of the East.
You might like "Cornbread Mafia"
This is gonna have a few qualifiers...

On a whim I bought a 5-pack of Skunk XXX from T.H. Seeds. It is listed as "Skunk#1 x Shiva Skunk x 82 Kentucky Skunk". I found two girls in the first two beans, both were similar enough to toss into the same jar. I still have three beans left. It doesn't have the nose but it has the high. That is what leads me to believe it is a more to do with where you grow it, how, drying, curing, storage etc.

I still have some left after about 6 months and still no overpowering skunk smell. Just a hint of maybe a skunk cabbage if you have ever smelled that.

Soooooo
We know that Skunk1 was Skunkman Sams de-smellified breeding project because he didn't like the smell. It's the real deal but selected for the least smelling varieties and F-whatevered to get there. The smell won't likely be found in any original pack of Skunk1 seeds, or anything bred with them. It would be so recessive that you MIGHT find one in a million.

A little research showed that the Shiva was an NL/Skunk cross. That means it was NL x Skunk1 or vice versa. The NL actually brought some dankness back to the Skunk1 if they chose the right Northern Lights pheno, But then you have the skunk coming from an NL? Keep hunting...

Then supposedly you have this "'82 Kentucky Skunk" - Why not release S1's? Or if you legitr had a pack and got both male and female, drop it on the masses! Adam Dunn is a tool and this just proves it. But in those two plants I found the high I remember. Maybe you find the smell in there with a 1-3 chance? I doubt it but you can find the high. And it was more 'laughy' fresh.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Sam and the Haze brothers were neighbors before Sam ever left the states. Sam went to jail and Neville bought Sam out and started Sensi Seed(?). Neville worked with Gypsie of Nirvana Seeds also. Dinefem was carrying the Critical + (What the so called RKS today in my opinion)
I personally bought 6 or 7 different Skunk lines, Sacred Seed, Sensi Seed included 25 years ago.
Mine carry the esters. There's phenos of floral in mine also.
Bottom line, people just stopped growing Skunk because there was so many new strains being developed.
The market was changing.

Last edited:

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Here is part of the list of Skunk I bought in 2001
Early Skunk
Early Girl
Super Skunk
Skunk #1
Sensi Skunk
Skunk 3xA2
There's was a couple from Sacred Seeds and Nirvana not on the list.
I also got seed from a buddy in 98 or 99 that was so strong, it's what got me back into growing.
I bought indoor mixes and outdoor mixes of Sativas back then too.
I started interbreeding all this with my sis n law for 10 years.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Here is part of the list of Skunk I bought in 2001
Early Skunk
Early Girl
Super Skunk
Skunk #1
Sensi Skunk
Skunk 3xA2
There's was a couple from Sacred Seeds and Nirvana not on the list.
I also got seed from a buddy in 98 or 99 that was so strong, it's what got me back into growing.
I bought indoor mixes and outdoor mixes of Sativas back then too.
I started interbreeding all this with my sis n law for 10 years.
from the sounds of the line up sooner or later it will come together just right ,did u have a system(record of it all) of the crosses tried

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
On a more serious note, though I think👆 that's part of it, the thing I remember most was that it was the first memorable weed I smoked.

But why was it memorable? The smell was part of it but it was fresh. It was not compressed, at least what I got, so it was not fermented or anything from being in a brick. That was unique enough when Nancy Reagan was pResident LOL - but I also remember a pine scent.

The high I remember wasn't that great, just new. It made me feel cool in the face, giggly, high shool high. Spicolli in a baggie 😜 I don't remember it lasting long, being stupid potent or anything else, I think it was more ste and setting, and the first real sticky-bud.

So if the high wasn't that great plus it stunk - THAT would explain why it "disappeared", but also why people are hunting a smell and not a high. I prefer effect, so I am not looking. I have a sew strains with skunk in the name but I will be looking for that high, not a smell.
the search for the greatest buzzz is where i am at for the moment mimosa x grape ape was my best buzz from 2 grows back, runtz started in cure mode, 2 plants are trieing finish up in the tent.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
This is gonna have a few qualifiers...

On a whim I bought a 5-pack of Skunk XXX from T.H. Seeds. It is listed as "Skunk#1 x Shiva Skunk x 82 Kentucky Skunk". I found two girls in the first two beans, both were similar enough to toss into the same jar. I still have three beans left. It doesn't have the nose but it has the high. That is what leads me to believe it is a more to do with where you grow it, how, drying, curing, storage etc.

I still have some left after about 6 months and still no overpowering skunk smell. Just a hint of maybe a skunk cabbage if you have ever smelled that.

Soooooo
We know that Skunk1 was Skunkman Sams de-smellified breeding project because he didn't like the smell. It's the real deal but selected for the least smelling varieties and F-whatevered to get there. The smell won't likely be found in any original pack of Skunk1 seeds, or anything bred with them. It would be so recessive that you MIGHT find one in a million.

A little research showed that the Shiva was an NL/Skunk cross. That means it was NL x Skunk1 or vice versa. The NL actually brought some dankness back to the Skunk1 if they chose the right Northern Lights pheno, But then you have the skunk coming from an NL? Keep hunting...

Then supposedly you have this "'82 Kentucky Skunk" - Why not release S1's? Or if you legitr had a pack and got both male and female, drop it on the masses! Adam Dunn is a tool and this just proves it. But in those two plants I found the high I remember. Maybe you find the smell in there with a 1-3 chance? I doubt it but you can find the high. And it was more 'laughy' fresh.
i would be happy to start from there,