Skunk Hunters

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I know a lot of people claim it was too damn potent, and possibly later crosses had a good kick but you're not the first I hear say it wasn't that good. Cool smell and taste with meh potency.

Tom hill said a decade ago that something in skunk is antagonistic to potency. Which I found fascinating. Back when he was trying different mating combos to bring some skunk back, he eventually said "I've never seen this before, it's like the genotype doesn't want to exist"
"Too damn potent" in the 70s through the 90s is nothing like what potent is considered today, though.

"Too damn potent" in the 70s through the 90s is nothing like what potent is considered today, though.
That's debatable.. I wasn't around in the 70s or even 80s but when I asked my dad he said people smoked the leaves and left the buds on the plant. Haha

Most things considered potent today are the same cuts and mash of cuts from 40 years ago

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
That's debatable.. I wasn't around in the 70s or even 80s but when I asked my dad he said people smoked the leaves and left the buds on the plant. Haha

Most things considered potent today are the same cuts and mash of cuts from 40 years ago
People didn't smoke just the leaves, but there were a lot more sugar leaves mixed in with the buds. The stuff around today isn't the same cuts from 40 years ago. Not even close. Breeders are just now starting to try to bring some of that stuff back. The potency wasn't there back in the day and the vast majority of the US population didn't have access to the best of the best back then. Most people got stuck with brick weed and had no idea what the cultivar was that they were smoking. We just got "weed".

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I think a lot of people want it more for the nostalgia than the quality.
The older strains are coming back, you watch and see.
It started this past year with quite a few breeders.
Everybody has been consuming this "market driven" cookie stuff,
they've forgotten just how good the old "lung expanding" stuff is.
About the Skunk, people are just frustrated because they spend 100's on supposedly Real Skunk from these companies,
and they can't find it, so they get mad and start on breeders for false advertising,
because their never found a keeper in a 10pk of Skunk seed.
But yea, it's probably the nostalgia.
I think Copycat is selling RKS for 200.00 or 450.00 a 10pk.
It's out there if people really want it.

Northern lights, blueberry, cali-o, big sur hollyweed, kush4, Murphys Afghani, bubblegum, and all the unamed precursors to the kushes, chems etc all very much around and all very much from the 80s.

I also think a distinction should be made between the import bricks and the early home cultivation flowers. Was it the processing or the genes themselves making the weed low potency?

We all know someone who can't cook, give them fine ingredients and he'll still serve you trash 😂

I agree. The question is when did this start happening?
Pretty much most agree sometime between 2000-2004. Things started coming out of Spain.
It's certainly more efficient to send seeds than clones. I'd say once the early seed banks started to bring cuts in seed form is when there was a dip in quality.

While some cuts self very well, their progeny giving a fair % of plants of similar (or better) quality than cut, it is far from the rule. A lot of cuts are simply one offs and don't self well at all.

Seeds are a lottery either way.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yes, but many would argue that none of those today are the same as they were back then.
I think the "scary potent new weed" is a Nancy Rayguns slogan. Never happened. We are testing weed now and it has high THC numbers, adn the high from Cookies is meh. Whatever THC numbers you want to slap on the pack, the high is just normal. If weed was as shitty back then as people seem to think, no one would still be smoking it now.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have been searching for and growing a lot of the classics as I can find the from reputable sources. Just looking for those 'high school highs" I remember. Some of the stuff coming from Mean Gene has that old school look. Not frosty and shiny, but it'll put you back in the seat for a bit. The composition ofc some cannabinoids is such that they do not last in resin-gland form. But once squished, or if the chemical composition of those terps break down the resin gland wall - you get dark, oily looking weed.

Compression did that and actually preserved some volatile terps in the vegetable matter instead of them offgassing or sticking to the jar.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Chemdog showed up in the 90's but it came from somewhere, it didn't materialize. I think it is the epitome of ugly weed that works. It's not gonna get instagram likes in late flower, it's not gonna shine with frost, and you are not gonna match the buzz. All crosses seem to fail in the attempt to make it better.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I think the "scary potent new weed" is a Nancy Rayguns slogan. Never happened. We are testing weed now and it has high THC numbers, adn the high from Cookies is meh. Whatever THC numbers you want to slap on the pack, the high is just normal. If weed was as shitty back then as people seem to think, no one would still be smoking it now.
Maybe it was the way it was handled and moved around, or maybe it was just because of what I was able to get in MA when I was younger, but without a doubt the stuff today is much stronger than what I grew up with. Back in the day most people could smoke a joint and not get rediculously stoned from it. I know very few people who smoke a full joint unless they plan on getting super stoned or unless they are daily smokers who have built up a tolerance. There's no way we will ever know, though, because nothing was tested for cannabinoids back then like it is today. I've grown some hemp strains that turned out a little hot in THC and those reminded me a lot of what I used to smoke in the late 80s to early 90s before I went into the military and had to stop.

I have been searching for and growing a lot of the classics as I can find the from reputable sources. Just looking for those 'high school highs" I remember. Some of the stuff coming from Mean Gene has that old school look. Not frosty and shiny, but it'll put you back in the seat for a bit. The composition ofc some cannabinoids is such that they do not last in resin-gland form. But once squished, or if the chemical composition of those terps break down the resin gland wall - you get dark, oily looking weed.

Compression did that and actually preserved some volatile terps in the vegetable matter instead of them offgassing or sticking to the jar.
Along with the skunks in a betty crocker icing tub, I got seeds in an aspirin bottle tagged "orange". There was about 150 seeds also from 1993, I dropped 100 and got 8 to grow. I open pollinated them to make fresh stock.

Testing the fresh seeds I found a tall orange smelling and tasting girl with a very pleasant high. I lost the cut last year of course...

To think chimera or vic high (??) Rated cali-o an all around five and passed her around so guys can have something to compare to is wild to me haha.

I recently got cuts of irene, Chem d and ecsd to try

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I got seeds in an aspirin bottle tagged "orange".
You know, this brings up another "skunk" point. Back then weed was weed. It smelled like dirty hippies and inscence. Skunky weed was one of the first "flavors" that popped up. If you were in certain weed-growing mecca's you might have access to more smells and variety, but even that orange weed was compressed to ship and had no orange by the time I got some. So by the time it went from the bale guy, to the pound guy, to the QP guy, to the guy slingin lids no one bothered even calling it orange.

So in most of the prohib skunk weed was very memorable because we ain't never smelled no weed like that before! 😜

Along with the skunks in a betty crocker icing tub, I got seeds in an aspirin bottle tagged "orange". There was about 150 seeds also from 1993, I dropped 100 and got 8 to grow. I open pollinated them to make fresh stock.

Testing the fresh seeds I found a tall orange smelling and tasting girl with a very pleasant high. I lost the cut last year of course...

To think chimera or vic high (??) Rated cali-o an all around five and passed her around so guys can have something to compare to is wild to me haha.

I recently got cuts of irene, Chem d and ecsd to try
Anybody remember eating chewable orange 🍊 flavored baby aspirin as a kid or is it just me? 😁