Skunk Hunters

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Not with these gas prices 😆
a 67 ford galaxie 289 ci two barrel carb, three in the tree with electric overdrive trans will get you right at 20 mpg. big four door party barge, vdub gas milage made many a concert with that car, a local gal had a red camaro 1975 with a straight 6 auto trans she was getin over 20mpg the car gave up after 300,000miles that girl was tight with money, i know she drove it over 30 years !always wondered what the galaxie would have got with a 6 cyl ford.ever chance cindy got she would ask about my milage and poke about the family car ,

Last edited:

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
you got that right i see rigs that are 2002 to 2014's already rusting out over rear wheel wells ,rocker panels rusted the lenght of the cab . My old 82 3/4ton 4x4 is in a lot better shape metal wise than a lot of new stuff the 400 small block just don't spin as fast as a new model engine!still my go to pull truck, does better than the 93 1/2 ton( it's 1 of the dud engines i even gasket matched the heads and intake ported and polished the runners !
My brother had a Volkswagen Beatle that would pull the front wheels! lol

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
My dad had a black trans am with a big gold firebird on the hood. My dad became Joe Cool when I saw it for the first time.
One of my Gf's had a red Firebird with the 455.
a 67 ford galaxie 289 ci two barrel carb, three in the tree with electric overdrive trans will get you right at 20 mpg. big four door party barge, vdub gas milage made many a concert with that car, a local gal had a red camaro 1975 with a straight 6 auto trans she was getin over 20mpg the car gave up after 300,000miles that girl was tight with money, i know she drove it over 30 years !always wondered what the galaxie would have got with a 6 cyl ford.ever chance cindy got she would ask about my milage and poke about the family car ,
Brother's first car was a 66' Ford Fairlane 500 with the 289.
He had owned almost 20 cars by the time he turned 20.
I was under about every one of them helping fix them.
He and his friends were into racing. Friday and Saturday night was Gibb's straight stretch.
1/4 mile of straight 2 lane road out in the country,
with gravel road "escape routes" close by,
Man! Those were the days.

Slowdrawl

PICK YOUR OWN
Man y'all are bringing back a lot of memories.
My first car was a 58 English Ford 4 on the tree, my dad bought it for $50.
Then I bought an almost new 68 beetle in 69 for $1500.
1970 my senior year bought a black 66 mustang fastback 289 Hi-pro for $500. Paid $50 a month for a year.
One cylinder had a broken ring, had it bored 50 over and put a set of 11 to 1 pop up pistons in.
Balanced the rods, put an Isky cam and lifters in. Had an Offenhauser high rise with a 780 dual line Holley.
Set of hooker headers, 390 Zoom butt gears and a set of Mickey Thompson meats on the back.
Mallory dual point distributor with a super coil.
Took it to the drags one Sat. missed 3rd gear and still turned a 12.90 in the qtr.
The stock shifter was the weak link. Wish I had a pic of it!

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
One of my Gf's had a red Firebird with the 455.

Brother's first car was a 66' Ford Fairlane 500 with the 289.
He had owned almost 20 cars by the time he turned 20.
I was under about every one of them helping fix them.
He and his friends were into racing. Friday and Saturday night was Gibb's straight stretch.
1/4 mile of straight 2 lane road out in the country,
with gravel road "escape routes" close by,
Man! Those were the days.
sounds like home,383 roadrunners trying to take a 440 gtx raceway was peach orchard flats, did a lot of work keeping old hot rods running and managed to make a little on a few but not near the money i made on bikes!he;; at one time there were no less than 4 dodge daytonas in the county.

Last edited:

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
1970 my senior year bought a black 66 mustang fastback 289 Hi-pro for $500. Paid $50 a month for a year.
One cylinder had a broken ring, had it bored 50 over and put a set of 11 to 1 pop up pistons in.
Balanced the rods, put an Isky cam and lifters in. Had an Offenhauser high rise with a 780 dual line Holley.
Set of hooker headers, 390 Zoom butt gears and a set of Mickey Thompson meats on the back.
Took it to the drags one Sat. missed 3rd gear and still turned a 12.90 in the qtr.
me too the only to shift fast on the tree, is to grab the shifter next to the colom, then you can cut shift times by 1/4 the time ,had a lot of time to try geting it right in dads 57 stepside chevy tough old truck!

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
today would be 1 of a kind the way you had it dressed, i like that kind of thing, i got about 4000 dollars worth of hot rod motor parts gathered up stroker crank ,tear drop cyl heads, gear drive timeing setup , 7qt pan , crank windage tray and the list goes on , my wife do'nt like me driveing anything that might have some power now to find a good 6 speed straight shift.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Back in the 90s along with a film canaster full of skunk weed I had hidden under the seat, I had a 73 Camaro Yellow with black stripes, 350 with headers and a carter 4 barrel. I got 3 speeding tickets in 3 months and a letter that said driving is a privilege and not a right. I sold it and had a pick up ever since. They never found the skunk weed. LOL

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Back in the 90s along with a film canaster full of skunk weed I had hidden under the seat, I had a 73 Camaro Yellow with black stripes, 350 with headers and a carter 4 barrel. I got 3 speeding tickets in 3 months and a letter that said driving is a privilege and not a right. I sold it and had a pick up ever since. They never found the skunk weed. LOL
seat springs saved my butt many a time .,no one is really willing to search the seat springs ,for something that might not be there!never leave a butt in the ash tray, that is all they need to see, to start with the screw driver i have had em take the chrome trim from around the headliner , and pull door panels off my t bird, didn;t do them any good it was under the drivers seat , pissed them off bad just 1 roach, get your ass up the road boy i;ll be watching you from now on!plus the front bench seat from a 69 tbird was a heavy sob. but they would pull the back seat out quick ,just to look underneath the thing.the more they worked the madder they got!with me standing there telling them that was all i had.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Not with these gas prices 😆
put a new modle manual or a l480e plus the newer auto trannies have 8 speeds, add a .hot rod motor, power brakes ,air,gas milage will be much better even with the oldstyle motors ( that the gov don't have speed limiters onthe computer pre 71 engines had very little gov.say). there so many combos to power a rig these days i need to buy enough ground to raise sugar cane to make alky fuel ,some of the guys in south america are starting to use it instead of gas.

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
They don't make vehicles like they did in the 50's 60's.
Grandma's Coronet would outrun them all! lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I had a 69 Nova with a 3-speed stick. Small block 350, edelbrock manifolds, thrush glaspacks for "mufflers" - basically enything with a cool window sticker got added "Big fat tires and everything..." I didn't work on cars though. My buddy did and I provided the parts and smoke.

I found out that th Nova was never popular in Mexco because the name translates to no va in Spanish - "it doesn't go" :LOL: