Schwaggy P's Random Stuff

"I have this nice sized Giesel with no purpose."
What? Doesn't everyone have a Giesel bush just hanging out in the veg room?

I clone more than I need in case of failed cuts, so I get extra plants that hang out too long in the veg room.

Grow her, harvest her, and let's load up the penny gumball machine. 😁😁😁
I have a few Giesels already flowering and I'm worried about letting you near the gumball machine.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Here's a thread I always make a point to stay on top of and I didn't realize how busy I've been until seeing I was behind like 13 pages. lol. It's crazy how quickly time can pass us by. Nice work @Schwaggy P I love catching the updates from your projects.

I'm sure you have, but have you encountered a male with intersex issues? I was testing some seeds and I came across this gorgeous stud male. He would have been a clear cut keeper until two pistillate calyx's appeared. I sadly culled it. With your experiences, if a male is carrying a dominate hermaphroditic trait, will it always present it's intersex issues during flower? Or can it sleep silently until it's used and tested? I have always been under the assumption it's a crap shoot with males until they've been tested. But I've never encountered a male showing intersex issues until now.

I'm sure you have, but have you encountered a male with intersex issues?
I have, it was a Buckeye Purple F2BX1 male that was developing as a male for the first 3 weeks of flower, but began developing 50/50 sacs/pistils. He was a true intersex plant that kept the 50/50 development until culled.

With your experiences, if a male is carrying a dominate hermaphroditic trait, will it always present it's intersex issues during flower?
I did not use the intersex male to find out, but if I had to speculate: I would assume the intersex trait would carry through as any other trait would. You would see a solid percentage of the progeny expressing this as you would observe the smell, leaf shape, etc.

Again, this is just speculation, but without any reason to think intersex traits are somehow heritably different than any other, you'd be dealing with intersex plants in the seeds. Intersex plants are different from "hermie-prone" plants in that they are not necessarily environmentally triggered. So you can have a hermie-prone plant not express any issues given a great environment, where an intersex plant will express regardless (even if environment can exacerbate the issue).

I have always been under the assumption it's a crap shoot with males until they've been tested. But I've never encountered a male showing intersex issues until now.
I tend to hedge against incomplete theory by testing. Many times even in the hardest sciences, one can deduce a beautifully consistent theoretical model with consonant mathematics working in concert for predictive models which totally fail when experimental data starts rolling in. Does this mean the theory is garbage? No, it just means there was an unknown variable not accounted for. In short, "you don't know what you don't know."

So while we can brainstorm how intersex males, "should" work, I would test the progeny and have observables to guide the process.

This concept of intersex males has been discussed by experienced breeders (Tom Hill, DJ Short) and I'll try to summarize the question as:

We know there are females that express late nanners. One could conclude that these lines have such a strong "male" expression that even the females are slightly male.

If true, than the converse could be concluded: Some lines are so female that even the males are slightly female (express pistils).

If this reasoning holds, then it follows that the best males may in fact be these intersex males since his progeny would be so heavily "female" resulting in very stable plants.

Whether you subscribe to this or not, it's definitely an interesting thought explored in this Pot Cast episode featuring Mean Gene (1:25:45 - 1:36:05)
https://soundcloud.com/the_pot_cast%2Fepisode-12-mean-gene-of-freeborn-selections-afficionado%23t%3D1%3A25%3A45

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
I did not use the intersex male to find out, but if I had to speculate: I would assume the intersex trait would carry through as any other trait would.
I absolutely agree. This male plant was the clear cut front runner until it started expressing intersex traits. I was of mind that if it's a male expressing intersex traits, it will definitely pass that along to the progeny whether they're male or female. So rather than move forward with it, I culled it. While it's hard seeing such a great looking male go, I didn't want to invest time and resources testing it only to reach an intersex conclusion.

My apologies for such a vague question that was poorly worded. After coming across this male, I started wondering if this was common for males as a tell tale sign of an intersex trait that a male is carrying. And if it's absent, then the male is fine in regards to not carrying a dominant intersex trait. Because up until now, I haven't seen this. I've always assumed intersex traits were always silent sleepers in male plants and knowing if the intersex trait was present could only be determined through testing. This is the first time I've seen it visible on a male plant and it threw me for a loop.

We know there are females that express late nanners. One could conclude that these lines have such a strong "male" expression that even the females are slightly male.

If true, than the converse could be concluded: Some lines are so female that even the males are slightly female (express pistils).

If this reasoning holds, then it follows that the best males may in fact be these intersex males since his progeny would be so heavily "female" resulting in very stable plants.
That puts an interesting spin on it and is a very interesting theory. I do prefer to learn by doing and I'm not one to shy away from experimenting. Maybe at some point if I come across a similar scenario a small test run would be insightful.

Whether you subscribe to this or not, it's definitely an interesting thought explored in this Pot Cast episode featuring Mean Gene (1:25:45 - 1:36:05)
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
After listening to the highlighted section of the Pot Cast, it's definitely peaked my interest even more. Such a shame the male has already been culled. It would have been an interesting theory to test after listening. So far all of the females are fine, and all of the males were "normal" aside from the one. The male in question was late flower, predominantly all male, with only two visible pistillate calyx's high middle of the plant. I caught them the day I was going to harvest the plant for pollen. I'm kind of kicking myself now, as I wanted to ask you about it first because he was such a great looking plant. I swiftly executed it because I didn't want my emotional connection with it to skew my judgement.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Comparison between Chem D leaf traits and Useful's Chem D x Banana Kush leaf traits. These characteristics have been observed in 3 phenos of the Chem D x Banana Kush. They seem sporadic and do not affect all leaves.
The three corollary traits are:
  • Variegation
  • Leaf deformation occurring with (but not necessarily always in conjunction with) instances of variegation
  • Double serration
My whole leaf has double serration from one end to the other. Doesn't seem to be random. I'm just now learning about this kind of stuff. Thanks for posting.

So, I read this art twice, real is real and fake is fake and this cat @Schwaggy P i rock with forever because he real as fuck. He on a fucking mission, one way trip to HELL, all guts no glory I salute u brother ⚔
He is the real deal. A canna wizard amongst us. I will be forever in his debt for bringing me back to the source of snow.

I knew I was in trouble when I found myself buying seeds just to get his gelato x ecto freebies last year.