Sandmans Journal to infinity

sandman83

Super Active Member
Root shot, its just the part hanging in the nute water that is discoloured. There was a tad bit of sediment when I drained it out for the first change. Smells normal, 23C at the moment, Roots dont feel slimy or anything either.

2023-05-16 11.14.33.jpg
2023-05-16 11.14.27.jpg

sandman83

Super Active Member
Might switch the the dry maxigrow/bloom for this tank again so I don't have the weird colors from the 3 part gh in the water. I wanna say they had a touch of kelp the first tank as well.

Streetpro09

Tester
I believe @Streetpro09 uses a product called southern ag to keep healthy roots. Maybe he will pop in and give some advice. I call him the hydroponic master. Best of luck @sandman83.

I wouldn't go that far but thanks for the thought. 😁

i put a dash of hydroguard in each tank just to be on the safe side as well. Thanks for stopping in! Even quite vigorous bubbles?
I've switched back to hydrogaurd myself. Easier to get plus the clear hydrogaurd makes me feel better when adding it to dwc. Southern ag is a mud color and thick. It works but not my preference. How much hydrogaurd per gallon do you use?

Root shot, its just the part hanging in the nute water that is discoloured. There was a tad bit of sediment when I drained it out for the first change. Smells normal, 23C at the moment, Roots dont feel slimy or anything either.

2023-05-16 11.14.33.jpg

2023-05-16 11.14.27.jpg
That's definitely the start of root rot. Roots should be bright white and not stuck together. What are your water temps at?

sandman83

Super Active Member
I wouldn't go that far but thanks for the thought. 😁

I've switched back to hydrogaurd myself. Easier to get plus the clear hydrogaurd makes me feel better when adding it to dwc. Southern ag is a mud color and thick. It works but not my preference. How much hydrogaurd per gallon do you use?

That's definitely the start of root rot. Roots should be bright white and not stuck together. What are your water temps at?
23C - 24C at the moment, on the higher end but I hadn't previously had issues with rot this quickly. Sad to see you've switched back as I just ordered a bottle of the southern ag. I'll hit it with some h2o2 if it doesn't improve with the hydroguard.

When I swapped the air pump for the larger it was swirling the roots around pretty vigourously I had thought just damaged from that but thanks for checking.

sandman83

Super Active Member
Might need to seperate them out to 5 gallon buckets each I guess, perhaps I didn't sanitize the tank quite as well as I had thought I did.

Streetpro09

Tester
23C - 24C at the moment, on the higher end but I hadn't previously had issues with rot this quickly. Sad to see you've switched back as I just ordered a bottle of the southern ag. I'll hit it with some h2o2 if it doesn't improve with the hydroguard.

When I swapped the air pump for the larger it was swirling the roots around pretty vigourously I had thought just damaged from that but thanks for checking.
Temps are good. I've had good luck with hydrogaurd up to 78°f or 25.5°c for you backwards people. 🤣😂

My thought with the agitation of the roots. Some of the stronger trees/plants grow next to vigorously flowing streams and rivers. Also the more agitation the strong the root system will be.

One thing that caused my root rot on new plants/clones was changing the water too soon. I leave the original water in for about a month before i change it. 2 weeks was causing root rot issues if i remember right.

It has something to do with the good bacteria building up in the root zone. It basically "colonizes" around the roots. If you don't allow it enough time to "colonize" when you change the water the good bacteria basically rinses away and they have to start over.

sandman83

Super Active Member
I uhm, forgot that some of the 'dirt' or 'mud' is also the myco I added.... I'll keep an eye on them for now and keep up the hydroguard regimen. One of the air stones broke as I checked them so moved that air pump out of the tent per recommendations as well.

I *did* change the water relatively quickly, tend to do weekly changes.

Streetpro09

Tester
I *did* change the water relatively quickly, tend to do weekly changes.
Once the good bacteria colonizes, weekly changes should be ok. I tend not to change it at all in veg, then 3 times during flower. 1st time after buds have set. So 14-21 days. 2nd time is around week 5. Heavy on the P and K. Once ph starts dropping overnight is my indicator to change the second time. 3rd is about week 7-8. Usually lighten the feed up a good bit but still heavy on the P and K. About 400 ppm but all depends. None of this is set in stone for every run.

Main thing I've learned is to pay attention to ph and ppm. If ppm is raising overnight, your mix is too strong. This will stunt growth and can contribute to root rot.

sandman83

Super Active Member
Roots look solid on the flood/drain system here's a shot from the chijimisai that was in the back corner, finally harvested for some stir fry tonight.

Using myco+ dusted on the root riots when I transplant into the hydroton, a bit heavy handed but I only hit it during transplants. This lasted about 4 weeks in the system? Hoping to have the girls with similar looking root mass when I transplant to the 2gal containers.

Screenshot from 2023-05-17 08-29-07.jpg

sandman83

Super Active Member
Blackened Oranges still looking good, nice fat leaves. Roots shooting out the base of all the 4" square pots now, keep trimming them back and allowing to air prune. Calmag bumped to 2.5ml/g for both tanks, spots look at have stopped spreading on the auto's just a bit more finicky in DWC.

Replaced the fluro tek4 bulbs with new led versions, ppfd over 400 now.

2023-05-21 11-47-49.jpg

sandman83

Super Active Member
Root zone looking much happier, will keep up the hydroguard on each change. Appreciate the quick spot!

2023-05-22 17-59-08.jpg

2023-05-22 17-54-21.jpg

Photo girls look to be outgrowing the starter table. Cleaning up the larger containers ebb/flow system and planning the lights. Won't be "optimum" based off current new tech but hopefully enough ppfd for some nice dense nugs.

2023-05-22 12.34.16.jpg

sandman83

Super Active Member
Mmmm those roots looking much happier. Ppm 450 needs to be raised, swapping tank for a fresh batch again will be targeting 650ish. Checked my notes, they had been at 650 and ate it down to 450, so we bumped to the next nute schedule ~800ppm 5.7ph and will let it drift a bit. 2.5ml/g calmag.

2023-05-24 08.28.02.jpg

Last edited:

sandman83

Super Active Member
Glad to see they've bounced back quickly.
still not perfectly happy but I'm going to just take this as a learning opportunity with the leds + auto's and just try again with the next batch. Ph was off by 1 pt again, adjusted up yesterday slowly over 30 mins and the ppm/water started dropping again. Will give them a few more days at current ppm levels.

2023-05-26 08-31-04.jpg

Transplanted the photo's into 2gal containers, with the additional p2500 across the middle the entire 4x8 area has avg 900ppfd at 18" so I dialed it down a tad and call it plenty. Girls are gonna get 1 more week of veg 18/6 to recover from the transplant and grow additional roots out, targetting next friday for the flip. On the smaller side so i can snag some clones in first week of flower and get a smoke report.

2023-05-26 08-31-22.jpg

sandman83

Super Active Member
Auto's still lookin hungry but the lst clip worked like a champ. Bushed out pretty fully, will need to clean up the lower foliage soon for air flow. Using the clips on the tallest branches to try and keep the canopy even. Estimating bottom 1/3 of the girls for airflow and in the middle.

2023-05-28 08-00-44.jpg