Popping smoke

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Looking for some insight on a stoner theory regarding harvest:

Stop watering and trim all the fan leaves as soon as they start to droop, allow the pot to go dry and harvest. Could it save me some hanging (indoors) since it partially dries on the vine?

I had sucess using boxes and turkey bags drying the autos. They were the most pungent while hanging, then it was controlled blasts when burping the boxes and mixing around the branches.

I bought a pack of smokes just to help mask The Dutch.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin

Stop watering and trim all the fan leaves as soon as they start to droop, allow the pot to go dry and harvest. Could it save me some hanging (indoors) since it partially dries on the vine?
The only issue I see with this is it will take quite awhile for the soil to be dry enough for the plant to completely stop taking water in.

D

Deleted member 60

"Stoner myth" I always heard was that this was how the "Columbian" pot some of us were lucky enough to smoke in the 70's was harvested. They supposedly would "girdle" the stalk...aka...make a cut/slit all the way around the plant stalk down low...then wait for the plant to die/dry upright. Whether this is more BS...like shoving the roots in boiling water to increase THC or curing in a cooler w/dry ice to get the "perfect" cure...LOL...I dunno.

best of luck bringing in the take.....

TigerTanks

Insanely Active Member

I had sucess using boxes and turkey bags drying the autos. They were the most pungent while hanging, then it was controlled blasts when burping the boxes and mixing around the branches.

I bought a pack of smokes just to help mask The Dutch.
I don’t have to much insight except the biggest factor that I see when drying ..... is climate..... low 60’sF temps and mid60’s humidity. And air movement in the room. My best smoke is ALWAYS when this is on point... 11-14 days before they go in jars. This doesn’t always happen but I try to make it happen

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I don’t have to much insight except the biggest factor that I see when drying ..... is climate..... low 60’sF temps and mid60’s humidity. And air movement in the room. My best smoke is ALWAYS when this is on point... 11-14 days before they go in jars. This doesn’t always happen but I try to make it happen
Same here. The closer you can keep things to 60°F/60%RH the better it turns out in my experience.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The plant is like an engine. It cycles water through it, it doesn't fill up like a baloon and deflate. The soil can be as drenched as you want, bu the plant will only hold so much.

Like they said about the drying environment, look specifically at your relative humidity. If you are in a dry area where them rH is generally less than that 60%, (like me) I water the plant the night before harvest to slow down the dry - slower is better. But if you have a higher humidity you might want to let it 'dry on the vine' a few days before yanking it.

I think the safest bet is to watch the weather. Snag it before the next rain.

D

Deleted member 60

It's always dry here...OK...other than in the AM. Temp rises/humidity goes down daily from AM to PM.

Agreed. The perfect spot is 60/60. Hard to achieve here on certain years. Easy on others. When it's super dry/warm outside shit can and will dry too fast. If it's a warm Fall... I'll hang dry for 4-5 days or so...then I >>>>very carefully<<<< place the entire stem/buds in a garbage bag and close it off for a day and let it wetten back up...then do a day more drying...and another day in the bag and repeat this process until it gets where I want it to be...which for this climate...is just slightly spongy. I find that if I hit that mark I won't see any mold and the weed won't turn to dust after a few months. If it's warmer I'm lucky to get 9 days of drying but doing it this way, for me, seems to be the best approach I've found to date.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I can keep a range between 60°-70° and 60-70% humidity. I did a similar method hanging whole for a few days until the the outer leaves began to crisp but before the branch snaps crunchy. The branches got snipped in kebob lengths and laid out in turkey bags with the opening rolled down like a little basket. The bags are laid at the bottom of a cardboard box with a gentle breeze running over it. Then into jars with a RH meter until a stable 62%

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Well, it rained while I was making dinner and they got soaked. Then the kids wanted to help put the animals to bed so I had to put them back in the treeline. I guess tomorrow is the day (hopefully). They are super stinky, like hot state fair dumpster.
20230922_182559.jpg
@TreeFarmerCharlie
20230922_183412.jpg
Do I need to trash the whole plant?

Bucket are full of water ready to wash.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Well, it rained while I was making dinner and they got soaked. Then the kids wanted to help put the animals to bed so I had to put them back in the treeline. I guess tomorrow is the day (hopefully). They are super stinky, like hot state fair dumpster.
View attachment 130715
@TreeFarmerCharlie
View attachment 130716
Do I need to trash the whole plant?

Bucket are full of water ready to wash.
Oh, that sucks! I’d check every bud and toss any that are moldy.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
It’s been raining here. When I put my plants outside in the spring I did it with the understanding that they were going out as garden “ornaments” because the weather would probably turn to shit before they are ready. I know some people who only grow outdoors in my area and I don’t know how they deal with the stress of dealing with them this time of year. If I depended on my outdoor plants I’d be so pissed off right now instead of thinking to myself that it’s just less shit for me to trim 😁

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I love gardening and the laws can be whatever they want and I'll never grow the flower outside. If I have a fucked up grow it's 95% chance it's my fault. I think timers are my main malfunction area. Had one whole tent re-veg because I accidentally hit one timer button to 'on' in the middle of the dark period. Shit like that. I could not take the stress of outside growing. If my tomatoes get eat by a worm, or a pepper plant breaks from the wind, I just clean up and move on. But weed... Damn LOL

Good luck!

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
It poured all night and the girls were left out in the cart sitting in water. I'm such a bad plant daddy.
20230924_094851.jpg

New notch under my belt, harvesting in the rain. Water is dripping down the back of my legs but, I got them all washed, shaken out and hung. Now the anxiety gets to wash over me for the next week. We'll see how this turns out.
Screenshot_20230924_105550_Gallery.jpg

These are the pretty dense little nuggets, super fragrant too. Hope they make it to the jar this time.

It poured all night and the girls were left out in the cart sitting in water. I'm such a bad plant daddy.
View attachment 130762

New notch under my belt, harvesting in the rain. Water is dripping down the back of my legs but, I got them all washed, shaken out and hung. Now the anxiety gets to wash over me for the next week. We'll see how this turns out.
View attachment 130763

These are the pretty dense little nuggets, super fragrant too. Hope they make it to the jar this time.
Good job Fiddler. 👍 You might go direct fan action on them for a bit(if you aren't already) just until your good and sure there is no possiblity of water hiding anywhere. GL with your dry/cure and please let us know how they turn out.

Bobby Legit

What smells like a skunk, Dad?
Good job Fiddler. 👍 You might go direct fan action on them for a bit(if you aren't already) just until your good and sure there is no possiblity of water hiding anywhere. GL with your dry/cure and please let us know how they turn out.
Exact on the fans Zaphod. Rain harvest brings back memories for sure, mostly shitty.

You definitely want all that water off the outside of your buds asap Fiddler. Just don't leave them on longer than needed to dry the rain.

Also, I'd consider popping a couple 1/4 inch drainage holes in that wagon. As long as you don't need it to haul sand anyway. One less thing to be concerned with.