#Heisenbeans Genetics

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
This is the project I was super excited about.

Reversed Oreoz to wed cake, dosidos, black banana cookies, and triangle Kush.

I'm gonna select 2 of each group and back cross the winner to the original Oreoz. Most likely will stabilize these and do a final selection out of 800 plants.
Will probably have another forum contest and send out a pack of each cross, stay tuned.

PXL_20220506_221703488.jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's the tomatoes I have going, about 160 plants , 14 varieties started from seed. I have a 55hp tractor with a 6 foot tiller and a harrow so it makes things easier.

View attachment 114453
My garden this year is about 10' x 20'. It is full of "weeds" and so far my tomatoes are needing a lot less water than usual. Imagine just needing to run a mower between the tomatoes and just letting it mulch (and attract worms) instead of having to add some other mulch or spray weed-killer. I have a mixed crop of stuff this year, but I have a section I am letting go to seed and I'll collect what ended up working in my area and replant that next year.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
My garden this year is about 10' x 20'. It is full of "weeds" and so far my tomatoes are needing a lot less water than usual. Imagine just needing to run a mower between the tomatoes and just letting it mulch (and attract worms) instead of having to add some other mulch or spray weed-killer. I have a mixed crop of stuff this year, but I have a section I am letting go to seed and I'll collect what ended up working in my area and replant that next year.
Ferterlize the lawn , collect the grass and toss it in. Somehow I just cannot see the benefit of letting the weeds take the nutrients from the soil that the tomatoes are competing for. I know you may disagree with it , it just goes against everything I've known about gardening since I was a kid. Weeds also give pest a place to over winter and multiply. Cucumber beetles, flea beetles, leaf leg bugs, they all carry diseases. Blight and other stuff. I would rather keep the weeds out and just mulch with straw or ferterlized grass.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
it just goes against everything I've known about gardening since I was a kid.
Me too - my dad taught me all about spraying the round-up, and the malathion, and the seven dust, and all the good leftovers from the bombs we didn't need between the big war and the little ones that helped keep the fertilizer manufacturers in the bomb business. Or the bomb manufacturers in the fertilizer business - whatever.

I guess the thing to get past is that you don't need nutes therefore there's nothing to compete for. The flowers, radishes, peas and such that you can use for a cover crop can be selected for the bugs they do or don't attract. Peppermint is a great groundcover that runs like strawberries and deters pests. So when I say 'weeds' I mean stuff I am not eating.

The fact that the cover crop is a bio-accumulator they are helping unlock minerals and such that are in the soil, then when mowed they return whatever they used to the soil. The goal is to turn your garden into a big worm bin. You can constantly add mulch, but grass dries up and blows away, or clumps up and molds. If it works perfect, the worms will demolish it in a week or two and you have to add more. The last thing I fed them was ground up malted barley just dry topdressed. I also sprout barley (or corn, or alfalfa or whatever) then put it in a blender and toss it in a 5g of water. That will feed my 10 x 20 garden with a lot of enzymes and stuff that get the soil working and the plants dig it. Compost is good too.

I am learning about this as I go so I'll post the bad stuff too. I planted too early and lost a lot to a late frost. But using my weed-learnin' I let that shit re-veg and it's all putting out good new growth now. I think if you picked a corner of the garden that doesn't usually do as well (we all have that) and try it with just a selected cover crop you might be surprised. I may have all my stuff get eaten by bugs and get nuthin' who knows LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The other thing I noticed is an increase in the birds I have hanging around. I get a lot more of the little 'ground-peckers' like wren's, robin's and thrushes which like the hiding spot and the bugs they can find. Stuff like that can be a natural pesticide. Bugs are only bad if they eat your food or food plants.

Opie1

Master Grower
Here's the tomatoes I have going, about 160 plants , 14 varieties started from seed. I have a 55hp tractor with a 6 foot tiller and a harrow so it makes things easier.

View attachment 114453
Sweet! That’s gonna be a lot of tomatoes! I usually have 25-30 and just that many is a lot of work. I hope you’ve got help, lol.
Just like my other ‘plants’, I cut off all the lower stuff on the tomatoes too, it makes a big difference.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin

View attachment 114453
Man! My tomatoes are still seedlings because it's been so cold here still. It's warming up this week, though, so I'm going to get some already started veggies to plant in the raised beds so I don't have to wait extra long for the fruits.

BurnSlow

I'm gonna select 2 of each group and back cross the winner to the original Oreoz. Most likely will stabilize these and do a final selection out of 800 plants.
Will probably have another forum contest and send out a pack of each cross, stay tuned.

View attachment 114445
Can’t wait for this

View attachment 114445
i cant wait for this🏆