Grow Journal (novice) first grow

PokerJay1983

Really Active Member
Hell yah !

Good times!

There will be a lot of new information, and measurements flying around. It is too much information to absorb - real time.
Prepare by mapping out a few pages inscribed with a 5x5 grid.

Start in situ and record, at every top bud site, the measured ppfd ( your 'par reading')

Then, drop the fixture to 50 % original height, re-take all measurements.
You are looking for the closest distance possible, where only 1 bud will see an excess of 1000ppfd. Albiet, the roasted bud will suffer, yet the benefit will be manifest by increased weight, in all of the lower buds.

Did I see your gauge reading 79 F and 35 rh?

That is some serious VPD. Be cautious, if you plan on opening up the throttle. A good feed and more light could form a perfect storm.
Because growth is governed and limited by the least of the inputs, those poor bastards could fizzle up fast.

That is to say if all conditions are perfect but light is lacking, no other improvements could provide the benefit of more light.

If all conditions are perfect but there is a lack of oxygen at the root Zone, only an increase of oxygen at the root Zone will improve growth.

Took me longer to complicate the explanation than it did to find this.
Old school book learn'n
View attachment 32944
The brick wall that the average grower will see (when all conditions are perfect) is a lack of CO2. No matter what you do, if all other conditions are ideal, only more CO2 could possibly enhance photosynthesis.

In your case: with a good feed and more intense light, the only thing limiting growth would be low humidity ,,,which can be disastrous.

Can you expand on that? Is my humidity too low?

He’s bringing over a spectrometer and inferred something or other. What should the readings be at top bud sites/ceiling?

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
VPD is the vapour pressure density. You can find a chart online. The best ones include your leaf temp as it is very relevant in the VPD.

What the chart will show you is an ideal temp and RH range for various aspects of growth. It is a great place to aim for !. But some of us are stuck with high or low RH etc and you adjust or grow with it. But you will chase deficincies that can be completely environmental if they are way out of whack. You will see a nitrogen deficiency that no amount of nitrogen can fix...it is because your plant can not respirate right and update the nitrogen...or calcium or magnesium...

Here is my VPD chart for my leaf temps in the bloom room

I am currently running at 25C
At roughly 45 to 55% RH it is ideal at late flower
55 to 65 is good for the transition.

This room is always 50 to 60% RH because that is how it works out.
vpd.gif

PokerJay1983

Really Active Member
VPD is the vapour pressure density. You can find a chart online. The best ones include your leaf temp as it is very relevant in the VPD.

What the chart will show you is an ideal temp and RH range for various aspects of growth. It is a great place to aim for !. But some of us are stuck with high or low RH etc and you adjust or grow with it. But you will chase deficincies that can be completely environmental if they are way out of whack. You will see a nitrogen deficiency that no amount of nitrogen can fix...it is because your plant can not respirate right and update the nitrogen...or calcium or magnesium...

Here is my VPD chart for my leaf temps in the bloom room

I am currently running at 25C
At roughly 45 to 55% RH it is ideal at late flower
55 to 65 is good for the transition.

This room is always 50 to 60% RH because that is how it works out.
View attachment 33165
ok great thanks. I calculated to Celsius and am a bit low, but I want to research this 4x snow lotus strain as the package said (outdoor). Will pick up a humidifier at Walmart today.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
*Vapor Pressure Deficit

To be clear...i might have been high :D Deficit..is correct!
And @Old ST1R is right. This is what changed my bloom room too. Veg is not so critical they love to veg but when you hit bloom it is important.

I found that running my 1400 watts at 850 total (everything lowered to about 60% power) I grew MORE than with 1400 watts running. Once i got below 80F things vastly improved. The chart helped steer me there and I asked people on this forum and we got there. 79F max for me makes the perfect bloom room.

If i can offset the heat better the 1400 watts would rock it but...i am doing ok. :unsure: 👍 👍

The chart showed me to get to 75 if i could and now they express better coloration and less problems.

It is science and it works.

D

Deleted member 60

Lookin' good man. You have some nice structure on your plants. They should reward you well.

A couple of ideas just looking in from the outside with a coffee and the bong close by....

"Panda" plastic is your friend. If you don't know what I'm talking about it's the black on one side..white on the other 6 ml plastic sold at the hydro/grow stores. A huge roll is $60 to $100 depending on how badly they wanna gank you for it (you can buy smaller pieces at most stores)....but it's super versatile and it would benefit you greatly (over the blue tarp) to slap a piece under your plants and reflect that light back upward. Mylar would also work on top of the tarp/better than the blue surface. IF you did get some 10' panda plastic you could staple/affix that shat to the ceiling and drape down whatever size space you wanted...or source refrigerator boxes/etc. and make a space of sorts. Anyway....IMO... what I'm getting at is that you need to get whatever reflective surface you use UP closer to the light and bounce it down into the space. LED's hang really high....and that 3 ft or so up there where you see the light careening outwards is a huge loss. I know you aren't keen on tents but they...and other contained set ups work because they reflect all of that light where it should be.

As far as a soil spray.....I'm not aware of such a thing per se'. If you are trying to stay organic you can solidify guanos or other amendments or just top dress (much slower availability). Or...find a bottled bloom nute (organic or chem)...and give them a shot as recommended. I would avoid anything with double digit #'s for N-P-K. A bit more info on how you wanna proceed might give us a bit to go on for recommendations/etc.

D

Deleted member 60

In an open room/environment I'm not sure I'd even think of "VPD". If you live East of Kansas/the Plains....you'll have more than enough humidity to play with...and more. And...if you live in the West/a drier area...like me....you just roll with the lower humidity and the frost it can bring and enjoy a room that's never seem PM or any other malady related to higher humidities. The beauty of this hobby is that it will work however you play and everyone plays differently. I love the science of it all but it often isn't practical to implement for a home/personal grower for a myriad of reasons. Yer doing fine w/o worrying about that stuff now, IMO.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
The beauty of this hobby is that it will work however you play and everyone plays differently.
True.
Some of us 'Shabadabadia, sometimes its Lululu
Everbody just wants to rock. We are all dancing to our own tune.

Jay, you got some of the Purdy'est plants around.
They are cocked to fire. The only reason I mentioned VPD is this :
Your grow is nothing but steady. With ideal conditions like yours, the potential for explosive growth is real.

I am having trouble explaining myself. I will describe how it pertains to me, and then correlate how it relates to you.

I push lotsa light, I push lotsa heat.
I work the night shift, where I pull and pull, and pull till it hurts.
Regarding vpd, I tune my nutrients.
At this moment I am riding higher than 60% . There is no huge 'pressure deficit' - in fact vapor will have a harder time leaving my plants; into a already humid environment. Water is only moving so fast through my plants. As such I am getting away with about 1400 ppm feeds.
Plants are loving it.
If by some miracle of magic, my humidity were to drop down below 30% , that solution would start ripping through the plant at in incredible rate. My water consumption could potentially double. Now, the plants would not only have twice the amount of water moving through them - but twice the nutrients as well. In a dry spell like that, they could burn up with that much nutrients moving through them.

All I am saying (At the risk of sounding like a public service announcement), start low and take it slow.
You plants are very healthy and capable. Don't start WOT. Those plants have an amazing amount of torque available. The worst part about falling off the back of a two-stroke is the back tire is always there, ready to grind up your sack.

Just take it slow.

Here is a video of my first grow, just avoid these mistakes, and you will be fine. :ROFLMAO:

PokerJay1983

Really Active Member
Well, I never really "spray" the top of my soil surface unless it's part of IPM. If you want to most soil with something maybe start with a super diluted nutrient solution.
Ok ty. In the process of making this. Gonna shake/settle for 72 hours then put through the sprayer. Also added a humidifier and some more top soil. Also drilled holes in bottom of canvas so I can check mooisture.

DC536B83-0784-43C8-9082-9B8BC9F3D4AA.jpegE3294A35-26AA-4C8F-A4F7-C8EFD3C687DB.jpegF954AB4D-4D5C-442E-8E65-FADFD6C3D143.jpeg7F9BBE29-382E-49C7-A5BD-07D71F7A9313.jpegAlso

SCJedi

Synergist
Ok ty. In the process of making this. Gonna shake/settle for 72 hours then put through the sprayer. Also added a humidifier and some more top soil. Also drilled holes in bottom of canvas so I can check mooisture.

View attachment 33294View attachment 33295View attachment 33296View attachment 33297Also
When I was in college I used to use their Earth Juice. I'd feed with that and Maxicrop. Sometimes I would mist on diluted Maxicrop as a foliar. I don't see why a spray on the soil would hurt. EWC tea would be ok too

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Update: bought a humidifier. Got RH up to 50. Added some nitrogen nutrients to small raspberry hashplant. Added rainbow mix pro to 4x snow lotus. Buds are starting to form. Got some scent concealer.

View attachment 34025View attachment 34026View attachment 34027View attachment 34028View attachment 34029View attachment 34030View attachment 34031View attachment 34032View attachment 34033View attachment 34034
I think your plants are looking good and i like that humidifier . I am going to check that unit out. I have no idea what that sent thing is but be careful with that thing close to your plants . You don't wont your flowers smelling like febreeze. Really best to try and filter the air vs masking it. I use a tub of the ono sent masker at times just to knock the edge of the smell in a room. I just open it briefly and shake it around the room does a fair job.