Dstroy’s grow

dstroy

Insanely Active Member
@dstroy are those filter bags and do the roots grow through those? Do you think those bags would keep roots out of the pipes in rdwc?
Yep, nylon paint filter bags. No they don't block roots at all, I use them to help the roots to grow back up the sides of the bucket. W <- they grow like that, down and back up.

I think that most people's problems with RDWC would be solved if they pumped water from the bottom up and used large diameter pipe with mesh between for leveling. So it would be more like a gutter than a full pipe, and much easier to monitor and clean. You could also wire a float switch to each bucket that would shut that buckets flow (with a solenoid) or the whole system off if it's getting too full if you plumb it reverse. When the water level falls it turns back on etc.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Yep, nylon paint filter bags. No they don't block roots at all, I use them to help the roots to grow back up the sides of the bucket. W <- they grow like that, down and back up.

I think that most people's problems with RDWC would be solved if they pumped water from the bottom up and used large diameter pipe with mesh between for leveling. So it would be more like a gutter than a full pipe, and much easier to monitor and clean. You could also wire a float switch to each bucket that would shut that buckets flow (with a solenoid) or the whole system off if it's getting too full if you plumb it reverse. When the water level falls it turns back on etc.
Didnt figure it would keep the roots in, especially when I think of all the stuff I've seen roots grow through. Seems like if water can get through it roots can too.

First time I played with rdwc I used 2 gallon buckets and 1/2" ID blue vinyl tubing. I tried everything to make it work, entered the bucket at the bottom and exited 2/3rds up but still overflowed the first bucket. Had 18 buckets connected with 1/2"grommets, 1/2" barbed fittings and ended up entering an exiting at the bottom and using a very small submersible pump out of a countertop decorative waterfall. Water barely crawled but I harvested some nice plants and retired that system. Bigger is better, I just recieved my 3" current culture bulkheads yesterday. Over the yrs I've went from 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/2" to now 3". I really believe with this 3" I want any problems anymore. I do want to put an empty bucket at the end of the run several feet before the recirculation pump or come up with some way I can trim roots without draining the system or making a mess.