Dry sieve

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It certainly doesn't make it more like quality hash brother .

Not needed and still don't see where you feel it's any kind of improvement. You do not decarb anything you plan to smoke. But ok. I been making hash for 14 + year man. Just saying I have a lil experience an knowledge. Only decarb for edibles.
First - I have excess product and am experimenting, so take the "experience" crap and be well...

If you noticed I asked if you would try it and let me know...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Second, decarbing removes none of the THC if done properly. There is no possible down-side except taste. Which is what I am experimenting with.

Look at coffee shop hash in Amsterdam, then the pressed puck raw-keif stuff. It's different. Heat is involved.

The Nova never gets above 120F and takes almost 2 hours to process. There is no guesswork involved.

Decarbed flowers smells the same. Nutty, roasted coffee, etc. Decarbed keif smells of toasted terps.

Cornfed Dread Creations

Super Active Member
Second, decarbing removes none of the THC if done properly. There is no possible down-side except taste. Which is what I am experimenting with.

Look at coffee shop hash in Amsterdam, then the pressed puck raw-keif stuff. It's different. Heat is involved.

The Nova never gets above 120F and takes almost 2 hours to process. There is no guesswork involved.

Decarbed flowers smells the same. Nutty, roasted coffee, etc. Decarbed keif smells of toasted terps.
Testy huh sorry I already experimented so yeah experience. Anyway this is why you can't lead the blind .enjoy your day

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I knew i should have bought that 20 gallon washer and bags....!

900 pounds of hash...crazy. And for me it is like i have recently discovered hash...and kief.

rosin was first and once in a while i hit a jar but i like hash the most. Kief too especially a really tasty strain. The complexity of flavor is just unreal.

Fresh pressed rosin too. About the height of flavor for me. Next harvest will be dinoberry bites and i will press a branch of that after 2 days in the dryer. I bet that will be crazy good.

The science of decarb is that it actually converts more THC into what is available after you decarb it.
For buds i think it is a waste of time...eat them. :D that 2 grammer from 1 hour ago i starting to tingle. Snowstorm today its a good day to be stoned grandpa and play some board games.

If hash is sufficiently aged I think it coverts much of the THC into the bioavailble kind. But the ardent is 100% right. Science.

I missed you you purple bastard...It is now beside my toaster. No more garage runs. I bought this Jan 26 a year a go and wore it out. So this one just made it under the wire for the 1 year warranty and showed up yesterday :D

Attachments

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I saw 900 pounds of this black hash in '80 in a warehouse. It was a sight to see! 2 pallets full of hash all wrapped in cheesecloth. $900 a pound! Ah......those were the daze......

Watch out for the toe jam though! Bwahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa.

Cool video - how he uses the heat and gradually DECARBS the keif as he turns it into hash!

I may try kneading some of those pucks instead of just pressing them.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@stiickygreen thanks again for the video!
I tried just rolling it like dough between 2 silicone sheets.
IMG_5354.JPG
I rolled it out then folded it back up repeatedly until it started looking right. I didn't add more heat since the decarb was already done. I think this might end up like what I remember :)
IMG_5358.JPG

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
Super stoked for today, got my bubblebags and some dry ice, gonna get to sifting here in a bit, material has been dried for about 8 days and been co2 curing/drying in the freezer since yesterday, only grey area is what micron do I start with got 220,160,120, and 70 I've seen folks start small and go big and vice versa any input from you guys with experience
20200128_120735.jpg20200128_120749.jpg20200128_120816.jpg20200128_120831.jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I would go with the instructions. put your small holes in the bucket first, progressively larger to the work bag (220)

Definitely the 220, just because it's gonna take a beating, what gets through it really doesn't matter.

After that I used as few as possible (when I did it) there was a 25m for the last bag, and I used a 120 or 90 in between.

The "dirty" that stayed on top of the 120 is great for adding to a joint or topping a bowl. I kept everything else that was bigger than 25m. Not too picky.

Your finer grades would be in that "under 120" range, use as many as you see fit.

Rosinallday

Super Active Member
I would go with the instructions. put your small holes in the bucket first, progressively larger to the work bag (220)

Definitely the 220, just because it's gonna take a beating, what gets through it really doesn't matter.

After that I used as few as possible (when I did it) there was a 25m for the last bag, and I used a 120 or 90 in between.

The "dirty" that stayed on top of the 120 is great for adding to a joint or topping a bowl. I kept everything else that was bigger than 25m. Not too picky.

Your finer grades would be in that "under 120" range, use as many as you see fit.
Good info much appreciated.

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
So got antsy and room temp sifted some of the fan leaf trim,it melted lol still gonna refine the method and get back later with some final product, but this just got me and the wifey lit on a bong bowl of cherry pie
🔥🔥🔥😁😁😁 And I'm gonna have a ton of it too this was from a cup of the TRIM lol, got a 3 gallon tote full of basically leafless material to run, decided on doing the 220 first then running all of that through the 160 then the 70 I'll keep everything above 70 and below 160 for the 1st grade then keep the fines for dabbing, and bowl top with the 220 to 160 stuff, it's awesome just at 220 😂😂😂

Attachments

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL

Like I said earlier I have yet to do it, but my understanding is that dry ice works reverse of bubble hash. You want to do the 73 first, then go higher....160 to 220.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Like I said earlier I have yet to do it, but my understanding is that dry ice works reverse of bubble hash. You want to do the 73 first, then go higher....160 to 220.

I saw a show where they used dry ice and broken up bud in a mason jar. Just screwed the lid-ring over a piece of "x" micron mesh. Turned the jar upside down and just shook the hell out of it.

And the dry ice was in pretty small chunks too.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@BigBallzWillie - it makes sense that some of the smaller stuff would stick to larger stuff and not "sort" as perfectly. So doing it backwards would be a plus if you are worried about the different grades.

I just look at the sifting as purification. less veg in the smaller stuff. That said, I'm just smoking it so there's "pure enough" to make it a nice kick compared to burning a fat cone. Or decarbing to make budder.

I think what @Gweedo posted is spot on. play with it, see what works for you. If you dig the several different grades between XX fine and XXX fine that's all good. Weed is fun!

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Wanting to make kief from my trim. Now figuring the best way to get a pure product. Anyone have good experience with this? What about these 4 screen sets from bubbleman...
I use a trim tray that has a 150 micron screen in it. I kind of dry sift without thinking about it. When I am done trimming I just sweep the trim across it a few times and tap it.

I used to get framed silkscreens from the craft store that were around 120 microns. I used to vibrate it for about 90 second with one of those $15 Walgreen's back massagers using the suction cup fitting. It worked great.

Lol Gonna suggest the ole ladies vibrator.
My 1st attempt was stuffing lady's knee highs with trim and vibrating it. The more you stuff, the bigger it stretches. lol
I needed a better way, so I bought an 18 gal. tote from the "Dollar Store" and purchased enough (choice) micron screen to cover the lid. Cut a square out of the lid and connect screen to bottom of lid. and have another lid to cover that one.
Worked okay,
but there had to be a better way.
Bought another tote and cut the bottom out this time. attached screen to the bottom. I can place it down in the 1st tote. Grabbed another lid and carved a opening that the tote with the screen on bottom fit inside at a desired height off the bottom.
Best way i found is to lightly drop your product 6" to a ft bouncing off the screen and then hit with the 'massager' and massage for 20 to 30 secs up to a min. Stop and scrape up kief. Then do it again and repeat. will be different grades.
By the way, this is only using 1 screen. Nice to have 4 or 8 screens.
3 types of trichomes, claimed size from 220 microns down to 10 microns. Produced from different chemovars, from different chemotypes. Indica versus sativa. grainy sand vs greasy heads. Lots of variation.

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
So got done sifting about a half ounce of that stuff through my 2 liter pot/bubblebags sifter, looks decent for the effort, it can't be beat, gonna let it dry a little and sift again through the 160, I squished the room temp experiment in some parchment just with my fingers and it turned to a nice sap consistency, guessing it's wet, the screen was picking up all kinds of moisture from the dry ice inside, definitely gonna take some fine tuning for sure 🤓🤓🤓and tweezers for the random lab hairs lol
20200130_140432.jpg20200130_140420.jpg20200130_124335.jpg20200130_140442.jpg20200130_141211.jpg20200130_141116.jpg20200130_140525.jpg20200130_140458.jpg