West Coast Chronicles

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
So the suspense was killing me to see how my first chucks turned out. Regardless of already thinking I might not be able to see them through, I decided to try anyway. To accomplish this, I plan on running a much shorter veg time then what I'm accustomed to. If I can pull this off, they'll be small, but they'll at least give me something to see.

I planted these seeds on 7/3 with less then ideal dry times. The results have been mixed.

5/6 Ground Pounder

6/6 Citrol Sledgehammer

2/6 Blunt Force Trauma - which was at first the most disappointing. This is the one I was the most interested in seeing. It was also one of the freshest seeds shucked. I almost gave up on them and cut open the rapid rooter plugs, but I decided to give them another day or two. Two more are just breaking ground, with a third that looks like it might be as well. That would put this total to 4/6 or 5/6 depending on how it turns out. I'll most likely give them all another 48 hours before I investigate the plugs to see whats going on inside.

5/6 Black Abyss #2

4/6 Black Abyss #1

IMG_E0521.JPG

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
So the suspense was killing me to see how my first chucks turned out. Regardless of already thinking I might not be able to see them through, I decided to try anyway. To accomplish this, I plan on running a much shorter veg time then what I'm accustomed to. If I can pull this off, they'll be small, but they'll at least give me something to see.

I planted these seeds on 7/3 with less then ideal dry times. The results have been mixed.

5/6 Ground Pounder

6/6 Citrol Sledgehammer

2/6 Blunt Force Trauma - which was at first the most disappointing. This is the one I was the most interested in seeing. It was also one of the freshest seeds shucked. I almost gave up on them and cut open the rapid rooter plugs, but I decided to give them another day or two. Two more are just breaking ground, with a third that looks like it might be as well. That would put this total to 4/6 or 5/6 depending on how it turns out. I'll most likely give them all another 48 hours before I investigate the plugs to see whats going on inside.

5/6 Black Abyss #2

4/6 Black Abyss #1

View attachment 13550
Seems the fresher seeds have more trouble popping. I've had some take nearly 6 to 7 days before.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Seems the fresher seeds have more trouble popping. I've had some take nearly 6 to 7 days before.
I can see that, it makes sense. The older seeds popped really quick. (by older, really only a week.lol) Aside from the Citrol Sledgehammer I believe. I think the CH was the last plant shucked if my memory serves me correctly. It popped all six somewhere in the middle of the pack.

This lower chamber already has some decently sized plants that prevent me from dropping the light lower. I did my best raising the tray, but it wasn't enough to prevent some seedling stretch. I plan to throw them into solos on Friday. That will help with my options of getting them closer to the light. Hopefully more will have sprouted by then too.

I look forward to seeing these!

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
I'll have to wait until Saturday to do the next decent update, but I talked to the breeder of the Hyper Blueberry Blast and I was wrong about it's lineage. I had thought he used Reeferman's Blueberry Blast (Northern Lights x Blueberry). But he informed me it was Snowhigh's Blueberry Blast (Blue Dream x Johnny Blaze)

To discern its aroma, I took it out of the tent tonight to get it away from the other plants and it smells like dead nuts blueberry muffins.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Update: Veg Rack

27 of 30 seeds ended up germinating. (5 of 6) Black Abyss #1, (5 of 6) Black Abyss #2, (5 of 6) Blunt Force Trauma, (6 of 6) Citrol Sledgehammer, and (6 of 6) Ground Pounders.

I opened up the Rapid Rooter plugs and the three that didn't crack looked like this and were hard as rocks when I tried to crack them between my fingers. I just threw them away rather then scratching the surface with some sand paper and continue giving them a few more days.
IMG_E0524.JPG

One of the Blunt Force Trauma looked like this:
IMG_E0525.JPG

So I just removed it and planted it on top of the soil. I put the rest of them into solo cups.
IMG_E0523.JPG

Every initial soil drench I use a solution of tap water and Azagaurd. I mix the Azagaurd @ 5/ml per gallon. This is my preventative measure to eliminate any potential soil pests that may be lingering around in the bags.
IMG_E0527.JPG

IMG_E0529.JPG

This will be a quick test run on these. I don't plan to veg them for more then a few weeks before starting to flower them.

Last edited:

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Update: Veg Rack

I have seven females already in one gallon pots. (BCK, Ghost Train Haze, Hyper Blueberry Blast, and 9 Pound Hammer) I'm using these to take clones from and they're all going to get pollinated. I'm collecting pollen tomorrow from the males. (9 Pound Hammer, Hyper Blueberry Blast, and Hyper Alien) I'm going to reverse one of the BCK's after the new clones root and are transplanted into solo cups. I plan to S1 the BCK and make a few feminized crosses with the others.
IMG_E0526.JPG

IMG_E0528.JPG

I started the clones today. To clone, I just use Rapid Rooter plugs and Clonex. Cut - Dip - Insert
IMG_E0532.JPG

IMG_E0533.JPG

Once they're ready to go into the rack, I top off the reservoir with a solution of tap water and a splash of Clonex gel.
IMG_E0536.JPG

Once the donators were stripped of their offerings, I super cropped them and applied some bondage. They'll end up being pollinated too with the others before being moved into the flowering tent.
IMG_E0539.JPG

IMG_E0541.JPG

Texagonian

Outlaw
Killing it @Phylex ! Those germ rates are excellent! If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your process for harvesting the pollen? I find it to be quite tedious work and I am glad I have nothing else growing at the moment or I’d be royally screwed with all the pollen that poofs when harvesting. I’m going to have to do a full on sterilization of my room and tent before I pop anything else.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
I use one of the two chambers in the Veg rack for the males. When I’m done with them, I vacuum it out, then spray and wipe it all down. On the days I need to work with the males, I only work with the males. I dump my clothes and shower afterward. But I still don’t do any work in the flower tent that day regardless. While I’m sure it would be fine after a shower and a change of clothes, I’m just being overly cautious.

As far as the pollen collection process, I have that planned for one of tomorrow’s updates. 👍

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Update: Day 44 (1 of 3)

I don't think the gnats are a big problem, but they're definitely still there. I always see a few more on some of the sticky traps every watering. There's some green flyers too starting to appear on the traps as well. So I went and bought a cup of 1500 lady bugs and released them into the tent to chow down. My only concern is lady bug shit. I've read somewhere that they leave it around. I've never dealt with it or this bug issue. So this is going to be another learning experience. But now I'm thinking I'll most likely have to bud wash at harvest. Which is something I'm not looking forward to. But it's better than bug carcasses or lady bug shit on the flowers. I'll have to see how this works out. I'm pretty OCD, so I'll decide after inspecting the flowers. I've yet to see anything stuck to any of the trichomes. But time will tell between now and harvest.

Mental note: Don't bring outdoors indoor. Though in my defense, it wasn't planned. But it was still a bad idea.

Blackjack #1
View attachment 13146

View attachment 13147

Blackjack #2
View attachment 13148

View attachment 13149

Gelatog
View attachment 13150

View attachment 13151

View attachment 13152

View attachment 13153

9 Pound Hammer
View attachment 13154

View attachment 13155
I remember the first time i did the bud washing i was pretty nervous. Thinking they would soak up a lot of water when in reality they are pretty darn water resistant. I did kind of pat down the big cola's with paper towels. While i don't do the bud washing now as i grow indoor and don't use foliar sprays so no reel need to wash them. I would not be afraid to do it if needed.

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
I remember the first time i did the bud washing i was pretty nervous. Thinking they would soak up a lot of water when in reality they are pretty darn water resistant. I did kind of pat down the big cola's with paper towels. While i don't do the bud washing now as i grow indoor and don't use foliar sprays so no reel need to wash them. I would not be afraid to do it if needed.
I wash most of my outdoor grow, debris from my neighbors tree needs to be rinsed. I have a big tray of water, just soak for a few minutes & hang. For the outdoor stuff it really helps & it dries quick. Surprising how much crap end up in the water.

During years of bad PM I make it a double dipper, first with a light H2O2 mix then a clear rinse. Made me nervous the first few years, but results were good & the smoke was noticeably cleaner. Part of my routine now.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
You have some really good data points. A spreadsheet would do well for you. Maybe even graph certain points to find some trends and apply that knowledge accordingly.
Thank you. The white board is nice for a quick visual reference or quick notes for something. I also use various note pads for other things. Eventually I'm going to make a binder for the larger pheno hunt. I'm creating a personal template to use that I'm sure will evolve as time goes on. I'm still a little old school when it comes to hand writing. But I house other docs on my computer for sure.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
I've bud washed in the past. I too was surprised and I didn't notice any ill effects. I'd dread doing it again because it's a process that's time consuming. I'm slow enough when it comes to just harvesting. lol

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
I harvested the pollen yesterday. @Texagonian This is my process:

1. I chop up the males, cutting all their branches off onto a labeled piece of paper.
2. I let them sit over night like this.
IMG_E0641.JPG

I personally like using a clean trim bin.

3. I slide the material onto the screen of the trim bin
4. I then run a razor blade over the paper to collect the pollen that was left behind.
5. I agitate the upper bin to dislodge pollen.
6. I pick up branches, tap them, and gently slide them around.
7. Agitating the top bin again.
IMG_E0630.JPG

8. I then gently remove the pollen sacs from the branches.
9. Agitate the top bin
10. I use an old gift card to move around the pollen sacs and disrupt them a bit.
11. Agitate the top bin again afterwards.
IMG_E0631.JPG

12. Scrape up and collect the pollen.
13. I use straws to collect pollen. When collecting pollen from multiple strains, I use multiple straws so I don't cross contaminate the pollen. Every strain or even different pheno, gets a fresh clean straw.
IMG_E0633.JPG

14. I put the pollen into labeled, air tight, glass vials. I label them with the donor and date.
15. I let them sit in the vials with the cap off overnight to allow the remaining moisture to evaporate.
16. Once they're ready for storage, I put the vials into a screw top container.
17. I fill the container with rice. (My desiccant packs wouldn't fit here)
IMG_E0635.JPG

IMG_E0636.JPG

18. I then put them into my pollen case, and place desiccants over the top of the containers.
19. Zip it up, and put them into the freezer for storage.
IMG_E0639.JPG

IMG_E0640.JPG

Avoiding cross contamination when dealing with multiple males: (This part makes it time consuming)
1. I always put on a fresh pair of gloves when handling a new plant.
2. I wash the trim bin, and all of the equipment that will be re-used.
3. I wipe everything dry first, and then follow that up with using a blow dryer. I don't want any moisture remaining from the cleaning process.
4. I wipe down the space I previously worked. And then I repeat the process for the next plant.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Thank you. The white board is nice for a quick visual reference or quick notes for something. I also use various note pads for other things. Eventually I'm going to make a binder for the larger pheno hunt. I'm creating a personal template to use that I'm sure will evolve as time goes on. I'm still a little old school when it comes to hand writing. But I house other docs on my computer for sure.
Don't know if you are good at spreadsheets so if you are ignore this, but I'd be more than happy to help if you ever need it.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I harvested the pollen yesterday. @Texagonian This is my process:

1. I chop up the males, cutting all their branches off onto a labeled piece of paper.
2. I let them sit over night like this.
View attachment 13980

I personally like using a clean trim bin.

3. I slide the material onto the screen of the trim bin
4. I then run a razor blade over the paper to collect the pollen that was left behind.
5. I agitate the upper bin to dislodge pollen.
6. I pick up branches, tap them, and gently slide them around.
7. Agitating the top bin again.
View attachment 13973

8. I then gently remove the pollen sacs from the branches.
9. Agitate the top bin
10. I use an old gift card to move around the pollen sacs and disrupt them a bit.
11. Agitate the top bin again afterwards.
View attachment 13974

12. Scrape up and collect the pollen.
13. I use straws to collect pollen. When collecting pollen from multiple strains, I use multiple straws so I don't cross contaminate the pollen. Every strain or even different pheno, gets a fresh clean straw.
View attachment 13975

14. I put the pollen into labeled, air tight, glass vials. I label them with the donor and date.
15. I let them sit in the vials with the cap off overnight to allow the remaining moisture to evaporate.
16. Once they're ready for storage, I put the vials into a screw top container.
17. I fill the container with rice. (My desiccant packs wouldn't fit here)
View attachment 13976

View attachment 13977

18. I then put them into my pollen case, and place desiccants over the top of the containers.
19. Zip it up, and put them into the freezer for storage.
View attachment 13978

View attachment 13979

Avoiding cross contamination when dealing with multiple males: (This part makes it time consuming)
1. I always put on a fresh pair of gloves when handling a new plant.
2. I wash the trim bin, and all of the equipment that will be re-used.
3. I wipe everything dry first, and then follow that up with using a blow dryer. I don't want any moisture remaining from the cleaning process.
4. I wipe down the space I previously worked. And then I repeat the process for the next plant.
Super clean and organized. Nice write up, great visuals. A reference point for sure. (y)(y)(y)

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Thank you. I appreciate the kind gesture. I’m horrible when it comes to creating them. But I’m decent when it comes to using one that’s already been made. Lol.
Thank you. I appreciate the kind gesture. I’m horrible when it comes to creating them. But I’m decent when it comes to using one that’s already been made. Lol.
As always impressive operation! I love my trim bin. I have to admit it was hard to pull the trigger on it at 50 bucks but now that i have it i say it's worth it!