Vertical Goodness and Other Batshit Craziness

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Damn bro them.plants looked smoked. What u think went wrong?
I kept thinking they're coming around and they just never quite do.

My pH meter could be messed up; I calibrated it and the nutrient solution is 5.8 and EC is 1.7. It's a flood table so temps don't matter but 63F is fine.

I guess maybe the nutrient solution isn't right? It's been sitting awhile? I'm still trying to figure it out. It's a bit discouraging.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Yeah possibly something in excess has caused it. If the roots are good that's prob what it is, definitely get your ph equipment right
Looks like an N deficiency, from the bottom leaves yellowing and dropping off?

It's been going on a minute so maybe I should just dump this batch of nutrient solution and start over.

I'm using pH test strips to back up the meter and they're not showing a big discrepancy. I think the nutrient solution might be the issue.

Streetpro09

Tester
Heyyyyyyyy it's transplant time! In fact it's the one and only time I ever transplant, even though I'm growing them six fuckin' feet tall!

They were starting to fade because they ate all the nutes in their baby cups so it's not a moment too soon.

View attachment 130535View attachment 130536View attachment 130537View attachment 130538View attachment 130539
I'm thinking it's your coco plugs are too big/wrong medium. Maybe the plug is staying too wet at the base of the stalk? How high up are you flooding them in the new pots of hydroton? Completely covering the plug or not touching it at all?

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I'm thinking it's your coco plugs are too big/wrong medium. Maybe the plug is staying too wet at the base of the stalk? How high up are you flooding them in the new pots of hydroton? Completely covering the plug or not touching it at all?
Great questions! The cups were roughly 2" square, maybe 2.5" and they're filled with Tupur Royal Gold soilless mix, it's mostly coco coir with biochar. It's definitely made for hydroponics. I'm flooding once a day, just after a 5 hour dark period (peak rates). The nutrient solution definitely reaches the coco.

Streetpro09

Tester
Great questions! The cups were roughly 2" square, maybe 2.5" and they're filled with Tupur Royal Gold soilless mix, it's mostly coco coir with biochar. It's definitely made for hydroponics. I'm flooding once a day, just after a 5 hour dark period (peak rates). The nutrient solution definitely reaches the coco.
To me they look water logged.

I'd wonder how much truth there is to "there's a difference between hydro roots and dirt roots."

Then I'd wonder if yours grew "dirt roots" to start despite the medium.

When you transplanted did you change the light at all?

D

Deleted member 60

I hope things right for ya. Gotta say...I was surprised that you dropped those into hydro and not soil with those rootballs. I've never had any luck combining approaches like that.

And on my last 2 Under Current runs I cleaned and sanitized and OCD'd that fucker HARD....every seal/every nook and cranny....only to be hit with back-to-back root rot and watch 2 crops completely fail. Never went back to hydro after that. I'm using the 13 gallon UC containers now in my outdoor soil garden as planters...LOL.

Any improvement?

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I hope things right for ya. Gotta say...I was surprised that you dropped those into hydro and not soil with those rootballs. I've never had any luck combining approaches like that.

And on my last 2 Under Current runs I cleaned and sanitized and OCD'd that fucker HARD....every seal/every nook and cranny....only to be hit with back-to-back root rot and watch 2 crops completely fail. Never went back to hydro after that. I'm using the 13 gallon UC containers now in my outdoor soil garden as planters...LOL.

Any improvement?
I've never had this trouble before. Noting changed, so I didn't think I'd have issues.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I don't know man, but the roots shown in your pic from the 17th kind of look like they are turning color, not bright white.

Kind of like a pathogen spread.

Maybe something spread from your equipment to the roots?

Do you clean your setup between gardens?
The roots dropping from under the netpots are bright white. I know what root rot smells like and these are fine.

It was not in use for most of a year. I didn't go nuts with the cleaning but then I never have.

Last edited:

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
To me they look water logged.

I'd wonder how much truth there is to "there's a difference between hydro roots and dirt roots."

Then I'd wonder if yours grew "dirt roots" to start despite the medium.

When you transplanted did you change the light at all?
Water logged is possible? They do have that look - except that the ones worst affected are under the brightest light and one would expect the opposite. This tells me it's a nutrient issue.

I've never had this much trouble going from coco to hydro, but maybe there's a first time for everything?

Yes, I did switch lights; color temp stayed about the same at 4000 Kelvin but the output grew from 180W from 2 COB LED right next to each other to a larger square pattern 4 chip 240W COB LED. Both have lenses to aim the light down. I don't think the light is excessive or there would be tip burn.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I do appreciate everyone's attention and questions; it's definitely giving me a new perspective.

I used mixed nutrients that were pretty old right as I transplanted them and that's when the trouble started. I don't WANT to dump 50 gallons of nutrient solution but y'all have helped me rule out other causes.

I'll pump the nutes onto my lawn and start fresh. I can't stand the idea of just pouring them down the toilet.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Raise the lights till.they work themselves out. Will definitely buy you some time.
I redid the nutes and flushed with the new solution. They have been growing, just slowly. Currently, pH is 5.9, EC 1.9, water is 64F. They are not drying out being flooded once a day. I did raise the light a bit. I removed some yellow leaves near the bottom, maybe 2-4 per plant.

Today's pic;
20230930_191135.jpg