Vegetable Gardens ??

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Garlic is happening big time. Great item to grow. There are two harvests, you can put it up for a long time, no animals bother it, and it makes it's own future seeds.
garlicz.jpg

some pine trees I grabbed while growing on the mountain last year. These were planted pot and all in the veg garden to overwinter. Was 10 total and 2 very nice spruces. All were growing in rock crevice and would die anyway. But I gotta find a place or larger bucket for them now.

pinetrees2.jpg

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
beans...Squash....Cukes. Do these need to be chicken wired to protect from rabbits? That is my #1 problem for critters they are all over the place. And babies have doubled the problem.

My raised beds were great.....and then i filled them. Then i remembered i have a tray and a half of vegtebale seeds in the cloner box that are about to push the lid off.

I think i will use some 7 gallon pots i have to plant the runners and then put them against the fences. I will use trellis or some kind of net (maybe chicken wire here too) and staple to the fence so the plants can run the whole fence.

should i chicken wire around those 7 gallon pots with the squashes and cukes? (and beans and peas).

I cant remember what they leave alone.

And if you had a 2 x 4 raised bed....and had a purple punch to the left.....i put in a cherry 100 tomato plant beside it...should i move that and put in one of the other cannabis plants?

I dont know what can share a space...I dont want slugs eating my buds.

All we need are stoned murder hornets with the munchies...

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
beans...Squash....Cukes. Do these need to be chicken wired to protect from rabbits? That is my #1 problem for critters they are all over the place. And babies have doubled the problem.

My raised beds were great.....and then i filled them. Then i remembered i have a tray and a half of vegtebale seeds in the cloner box that are about to push the lid off.

I think i will use some 7 gallon pots i have to plant the runners and then put them against the fences. I will use trellis or some kind of net (maybe chicken wire here too) and staple to the fence so the plants can run the whole fence.

should i chicken wire around those 7 gallon pots with the squashes and cukes? (and beans and peas).

I cant remember what they leave alone.

And if you had a 2 x 4 raised bed....and had a purple punch to the left.....i put in a cherry 100 tomato plant beside it...should i move that and put in one of the other cannabis plants?

I dont know what can share a space...I dont want slugs eating my buds.

All we need are stoned murder hornets with the munchies...
Yes, protect from rabbits. They can't climb, so taller pots work. I run some hardware cloth around the larger pots....woodchucks can climb.

Tomatoes and weed together are fine, slugs don't mess with tomatoes here.............weed, they are mf'ers. Keep a pair of scissors handy, slice and dice those bitches on sight.
Planting pots rule, you will start to gain many . I'm not sure how, but I have close to 300 gallons in pots out there..lol

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Yesterday..............Got 48 tomatos in ground and prepped for 8 more...........Hope to do the same today. I'll have some strawberries this year but last season's slugs, did some real damage. Some of my clover covers didn't do that great over winter but are starting sprout now........under the fabric, lol they are too late. Early bean crop in the tomato beds, small plants, just cut the tops and let them and the roots rot in place.

D

Deleted member 60

We're hoping that tonight is the last gasp for the cold temps that keep us from planting shit up here til June. From the look of the forecast...unless there's a cruel surprise waiting after June 7th...the next 2 weeks are looking much warmer than normal.

35F out there this AM. Might be a touch colder tomorrow AM....then we supposedly head into the mid 40's for lows.

Have beets comin up....a few pole beans...onions are rockin..as is the garlic. Strawberries are setting blooms/small berries. Might be a good year...we've been babying these for a couple of years now and have been getting some fruit...but not what we'd like to see. We thinned em and I gave em a whap of fert and they seem to be responding well. I'm also adjusting the pH a bit and watering em by hand here/there. Both the water and the soil are bumping 8.....so a bit high for sure.....but it's what we have here....so I'm doing what I can to slowly lower it. Have celery in....more beans planted....lettuce coming up....and as i say...we are hoping to put everything else out in the next few days. Trying to group things so IF we have another cold snap we can cover them. Last night we covered the berries, cabbage, and a few peppers the wife just had to sit out...LOL. Early season here is always a game of sheets/blankets and hope....

But if we can set things out and tempt fate and make it thorugh w/o incident...we can get another 2 weeks tagged onto the season....which..here...is YUGE. The tomatoes here never truly finish. We always have to cut the vines off before the freeze hits and ripen about 1/2 the crop on vine in the greenhouse. I envy those of you with a longer season...but I don;t envy the "Summers" you endure to get em. (grew up in Misery with 90F+ and 90% humidity)...no thanks!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
(grew up in Misery with 90F+ and 90% humidity)
I grew up in NOLA, a filled in swamp. The rule of 9's... 99F and 99% humidity from 9 in the morning until 9 at night. You could get a full sweat just walking to the car.

My garden is small, but will be crowded. I have some more plants waiting on making a second fence of some sort. After 'evolving' my support structure for the maters I realized that the perfect thing for growing tomatoes is an old-school clothes-line. I built one without realizing it.
Besides the tomatoes, there are 4 pepper plants on the left, by the bird, and the one in the closest corner is one of 4 tomatillo.
I am trying using the plant yoyo's for supporting the plants. Easy to snap another one on to hook a new limb
IMG_7743.JPG
This guy chased off the bird.
IMG_7749.JPG

D

Deleted member 60

We have a series of raised beds that we rotate crops in....although we have converted one to the asparagus patch and 2 others are now devoted to strawberries. The others get filled with onions and carrots. This was a few weeks ago. We ordered custom made shade cloths for the hoops....22% shade in white. We only pull em when we see wicked weather/possible hail.
001.JPG

Rows planted with beets...garlic..more onions...green beans. Planted squash the other day. Pole beans are breaking ground.
002.JPG
Our Winter escape
003.JPG
Garden starts pretty much everywhere. Gonna chance it and put everyone out. Forecast looks good for the next 2 weeks... and we are about 2 weeks earlier than most years this year. Last year we put it all out and June was cold as fuck with frost on the 22nd that dealt us a fit. June strawberries came in July. This year we already have berries forming.
004.JPG

Up-potted 16 ladies as well yesterday into 7 galloners. Still have 5 to go. Everybody gonna get big shoes this year in Trump's honor. Heehee.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I like finding wild stuff and cultivating it. I have a mulberry bush/tree that has berries getting ripe now.
IMG_7761.JPGIMG_7762.JPG
I think that's pretty cool so I took a few cuttings to see if I can get them to root.
IMG_7765.JPG
I took this pic just for reference. I am curious how the paper skin ends up on the tomatillo :) I think it could be the petals closing back up after pollination. IMG_7759.JPG

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I might have asked this...but i smoke copius amounts of weed and forget shit.

I have this spot that is kind of under a tree out front...a brick wall backdrop (I live on a corner lot and this has the community name on the other side). Hostas grow there no problem. I hate plants you cant eat or smoke so...

What vegetable would work in a shady spot like that? It doesnt have to work great but i want it to grow and use the space for something way more productive than box cedars and hostas...i will burn them as a sacrifice to my GMO Cake !

I have everything in my veg and melon seed hoard.

Tomatillos...i have never seen one grow. I have only ever tasted them in salas verde. What a pretty plant.

@stiickygreen looking very oasis man. :D

I have 4 more squash plants and some beans and peas and cukes to find a place for...Then i am going to start some other shit. All my 5 gallon pots will go outside. Indoors shifted to 1 to 3s for effiency.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@gwheels Just google "vegetables in shade". Stuff like onions and garlic, broccoli, root vegetables. Potatoes have beautiful flowers and yuuuuuge vines.

The tomatillos end up with that paper husk (look in the store) I just don't know how it gets there - we'll find out together LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
And for the potatoes, the vines will grow to get the light they need. You can keep burying the vine as it grows and the flower sites make potatoes if they are covered.

Kind of like how a node on weed will make roots instead of flowers if you bury (clone) it. The roots have 'taters on the end.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I have bought tomatillos...I cook a lot. And I am afraid of no recipe.

They resemble a ground cherry...there is another name for it they love them in Quebec...it must be part of the gooseberry family they do that too.

And I asked because if you search grow lights....

Tell me how great them blurples are.... @BigBallzWillie and @stiickygreen grow stuff FOR REAL.

you do too.

Any edge man...is an edge....I like to Nascar everything I do....I call it greatness.

But those damned gummies...i ate 2..did the math...100 mg each..well done my friend...well done..

Why am I talking to myself without the dog???

Back to the pool. I cleaned it Chorline is now 2ppm...LOL now i get how strong you need it for a clean rez...i got peroxide.

Scatter brained much...

Squirrell..

Laborgini

Audi A12

I live at a stop sign where you can give er....

What the hell was i saying..

Sorry folks...a few minutes in the steel trap...i have to get back in the pool....TOPANGA...as soon as im tired of this i am making rosin out of a few oz

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
They resemble a ground cherry...there is another name for it they love them in Quebec...it must be part of the gooseberry family they do that too.
I'll do a G-post...

I tossed some ground-cherry seeds in the dirt by the tomatoes and I think a few popped. Seeing if that might work as a cover crop for the empty areas.

Don't have a clue what the fuck else you were talking about.

White Grape (by hazeman) budder is good - translates from the weed perfectly - real energetic and 'get-r-dun'. mowed the yard this morning before the rain started on about 50mg.

3HD x LBF by @Bad Dawg also translates well but it's the opposite - that stuff is nap-time in both the weed and the budder.

I put budder in a coffee. I found that you can add a few little squares of a Hershey bar and hit it with a stick blender and it will emulsify and not leave an oil-slick on top.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Its like haiku.

They have grown shit in similar conditions and will not lead me down the wrong path...that is what it means if you have not smoked enough to attain enlightenment.

And im going in the pool. And the damned gummies are epicly wonderful..Topanga coconut oil did it perfectly.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I might have asked this...but i smoke copius amounts of weed and forget shit.

I have this spot that is kind of under a tree out front...a brick wall backdrop (I live on a corner lot and this has the community name on the other side). Hostas grow there no problem. I hate plants you cant eat or smoke so...

What vegetable would work in a shady spot like that? It doesnt have to work great but i want it to grow and use the space for something way more productive than box cedars and hostas...i will burn them as a sacrifice to my GMO Cake !

I have everything in my veg and melon seed hoard.

Tomatillos...i have never seen one grow. I have only ever tasted them in salas verde. What a pretty plant.

@stiickygreen looking very oasis man. :D

I have 4 more squash plants and some beans and peas and cukes to find a place for...Then i am going to start some other shit. All my 5 gallon pots will go outside. Indoors shifted to 1 to 3s for effiency.

Take a look here........figure what kind of shade it is and plant accordingly. :)

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
We're hoping that tonight is the last gasp for the cold temps that keep us from planting shit up here til June. From the look of the forecast...unless there's a cruel surprise waiting after June 7th...the next 2 weeks are looking much warmer than normal.

35F out there this AM. Might be a touch colder tomorrow AM....then we supposedly head into the mid 40's for lows.

Have beets comin up....a few pole beans...onions are rockin..as is the garlic. Strawberries are setting blooms/small berries. Might be a good year...we've been babying these for a couple of years now and have been getting some fruit...but not what we'd like to see. We thinned em and I gave em a whap of fert and they seem to be responding well. I'm also adjusting the pH a bit and watering em by hand here/there. Both the water and the soil are bumping 8.....so a bit high for sure.....but it's what we have here....so I'm doing what I can to slowly lower it. Have celery in....more beans planted....lettuce coming up....and as i say...we are hoping to put everything else out in the next few days. Trying to group things so IF we have another cold snap we can cover them. Last night we covered the berries, cabbage, and a few peppers the wife just had to sit out...LOL. Early season here is always a game of sheets/blankets and hope....

But if we can set things out and tempt fate and make it thorugh w/o incident...we can get another 2 weeks tagged onto the season....which..here...is YUGE. The tomatoes here never truly finish. We always have to cut the vines off before the freeze hits and ripen about 1/2 the crop on vine in the greenhouse. I envy those of you with a longer season...but I don;t envy the "Summers" you endure to get em. (grew up in Misery with 90F+ and 90% humidity)...no thanks!
I been doing the sheets and blankets myself kinda. Put in 75 sweet potatos and the sun came right out to roast/bake them in place. So it's a menagerie of shade cloth, watering, and floating row cover, on off, on off, for 3 days. Appears to be working....quite a few have perked up. Everyone that perks up is at least 5 potatoes of the future :)