Vegetable Gardens ??

NorthnNuggs

Super Active Member
Garden is gonna have some prudes purple, box car willie, first pick and red pear tomatoes. Then some green beans, sugar baby watermelon, honey dew melon a few straight eight cucumbers and some giant sweet pie carving pumpkins. Goin for the extra green thumb action. Hold the bugs please.....

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I haven't had to shoot one yet, but I've see them around. And yes, I'd eat that if I had to shoot it.
View attachment 58550
Once I saw there were two of these I took out the next one I saw. I think it made the other one leave. Flat out destroyed some tomatoes, (I have extra parsley and oregano elsewhere because they like it) and all the lower limbs on a mulberry bush (that has berries)
View attachment 58551
I kill three of these mofo's every year on average. Every year............it gets old, but the devastation can be total. They basically can't be trapped in a havahart. but they can be snared. Nothing like setting the snare at an exit hole and when the varmint shows up scare him and it'll run like hell for the exit. I admit it's funny as hell watching that piano wire pull tight when he's running at full tilt. BOING!!! After the laugh I'll blow it's brains out, then compost it. I hate the sob's, they do a lot of damage instantly.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Frost warnings are lifted....we are a go .

Rows of veg in the raised beds are
early beets
merlin beets
carrots
swiss chard
lettuce
tomatos---early girl, beef steak and cherry
Giant Girl peppers.

I will start some indoor pepper and tomato seeds now because they take a long time to get anywhere. I will keep them growing in my garage tent because its in there anyway (and the cannabis is outside already).

DSCF5337.JPG
DSCF5339.JPGDSCF5340.JPGDSCF5341.JPG
DSCF5342.JPGDSCF5343.JPG

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Cabbage moth laying eggs on your Strawbs that are gonna spring caterpillars and start chomping up your plants. Kill those suckers . Theyll destroy your crop in no time.
It's just drinking nectar and pollinating. They lay eggs on the underside of the leaves. I've never had a problem with strawberries even tho they will eat them. I can not stop them and they are inevitable so learning how to deal with them is a requirement for gardening here. I plant nasturniums, mustard, broccoli as trap crops and that works but you have to be on your toes. It's the first batch of eggs that you miss.................well those mf'ers come back, second wave is worse.
I tried getting some broccoli out early to beat them, but it stayed cold, they stalled and will not finish prior to new generation of worms. We shall see, but I usually get my ass beat after putting up a good fight. Broccoli is a magnet for those worms, woodchucks too. :)

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
It's just drinking nectar and pollinating. They lay eggs on the underside of the leaves. I've never had a problem with strawberries even tho they will eat them. I can not stop them and they are inevitable so learning how to deal with them is a requirement for gardening here. I plant nasturniums, mustard, broccoli as trap crops and that works but you have to be on your toes. It's the first batch of eggs that you miss.................well those mf'ers come back, second wave is worse.
I tried getting some broccoli out early to beat them, but it stayed cold, they stalled and will not finish prior to new generation of worms. We shall see, but I usually get my ass beat after putting up a good fight. Broccoli is a magnet for those worms, woodchucks too. :)
Yeah they’re Bastards . I virtually stopped growing Strawberries coz I got tired of coming back home after a swing away as I work 200 miles away up the coast to find an infestation of them . Your right they do love the large leaf veggies like Cauliflower and Broccoli as do the aphids . I also have Sleepy Lizards come into the patch and pull flowers off the Zucchini and Pumbkin to munch on. Oh well , such is life in the great outdoors .

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Yeah they’re Bastards . I virtually stopped growing Strawberries coz I got tired of coming back home after a swing away as I work 200 miles away up the coast to find an infestation of them . Your right they do love the large leaf veggies like Cauliflower and Broccoli as do the aphids . I also have Sleepy Lizards come into the patch and pull flowers off the Zucchini and Pumbkin to munch on. Oh well , such is life in the great outdoors .
I got broccoli out this year, but for the most part I don't grow anything in that whole brassica family :( Cucumber beetles are the next largest pain in the ass, but I have found that covering the bed with landscape fabric or black plastic has a big effect on keeping them away. Most of them nasty type bugs, eat, fuck and go lay eggs in the dirt at the base of the plant, covering the soil stops that pretty well.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Seedlings are coming along. I didn't use my tents this year and my plants are smaller than last year this time. Tomatoes catch up @ lightspeed. Some pics of the outside mess....

Mark Twains.........these'll make some big delicious fruit, jalapenos in the orange pots
seeds1.jpg

Then more tomatoes, jalapenos, then basil
seeds2.jpg

Opalka in blue cups

seeds6.jpg

Purp Cherokee, German Johnson, Pruden's Purple and Principe Bergoff( sumthin like that)

seeds8.jpg

Revolution pepper seeds............I can't believe I forked over 20 cents a seed for these, lol. I await being impressed ;) No love so farseeds10.jpg