Vegetable Gardens ??

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Well the weather started cooperating and the sweet potatoes are off to a much better start than last year. Last yer I got 10 plants to take out of 50, but it's looking now like I have well over 50 that r good out of 75 this year. All Bonitas.....which are white, still waiting on a 25 pack of Georgia Jets.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I'm going to start a composting area with the weed soil as a base. Lots of good vegetable matter waste coming as the crops roll in
Yep, good move. I usually put my weed soil in pots outside and grow something non edible in it, like flowers sunflowers, etc. I've got about 300 gallons out there in flower pots(does NOT include nursery pots, lol) when the crops in pots are done, I throw the dirt in the compost and that cleans it up good enough to use anywhere.

I like putting sunflowers in pots because then I can control the direction the flower faces. Some sunflowers always want to face east and for me to see them they need to face west, quick spin does it but you have to repeat a couple of times. Sunflowers bring the pollinators in big time, honeybees in particular :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yep, good move. I usually put my weed soil in pots outside and grow something non edible in it, like flowers sunflowers, etc. I've got about 300 gallons out there in flower pots(does NOT include nursery pots, lol) when the crops in pots are done, I throw the dirt in the compost and that cleans it up good enough to use anywhere.

I like putting sunflowers in pots because then I can control the direction the flower faces. Some sunflowers always want to face east and for me to see them they need to face west, quick spin does it but you have to repeat a couple of times. Sunflowers bring the pollinators in big time, honeybees in particular :)
Good idea! I was thinking marigolds because they do that, but also repel some insects.

I also want something to attract hummingbirds. Saw a few buzzing around the garden then leaving disappointed :)

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Would Megacrop be sufficient for the organic needs as opposed to jacks (salts). ?

I have bloom covered with organic nutrients for life...(sucker for a sale much).. I can get a tub of gaia green for veg if megacrop would impact it.

Everything else i use are salts. I like them a lot for non soil.

and I have a worm farm in a tote. They are starting to eat about 1 pound of veg matter a week. :D and i didnt murder them yet.

D

Deleted member 60

We bought one of those CompostTumblers on Crazedlist for $100 a few years ago. Really like it.....and am thinking of buying one...maybe even two more. Sucker eats grass clippings like mad..and leaves...and food scraps too...although i also have a worm bin that gets most of that action these days. They must sell well because they are always "Out of stock".

We've been brewing teas...i know the jury is out on all of it for some folks....but for us it's a good way to get rid of a lot of the by-products from our many gardening projects.....and I'm getting to use some of the old hydro shit/pumps/barrels/etc. I've had hanging about here for >some reason. I guess this is it. Heehee.

My Megapoop shipment is lost "In Transit" within the USPS. 2 weeks..MIA. Nobody seems real concerned so I may just cancel the charge on 'em to get their fuckin attention. Whatever. Was just for the yard/flowers anyway.....but they are hungry....so fuckin a....somebody needs to get their shit together.

Summer is coming on fast here. Creek is wayyyyy up this AM.......lotsa snow meltin up there, for sure.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I was eyeying a tumbler...when i get off my lazy butt i have to plant some POTATOES...i wasnt going to but a fresh spud out of the garden is worth it and i have a huge spot for a shady crop.

And something else i was not expecting...Near 100% germination with veg seeds.

Some i planted 2 per plug because they suggested it and i have 2 per plug growing. Even the end of the world American Survival seed pack is near 100 % germination.

I read a lot of bad shit but i have to remember something...i am now pretty good at sprouting a tougher seed. It took some time and practice but with my current method of best practices the germination rate is incredibly reliable.

Vegetables proved it !

And i just ordered for delivry...A compost tumbler bin. Red wigglers are moving on up.

Last edited:

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
I was eyeying a tumbler...when i get off my lazy butt i have to plant some POTATOES...i wasnt going to but a fresh spud out of the garden is worth it and i have a huge spot for a shady crop.

And something else i was not expecting...Near 100% germination with veg seeds.

Some i planted 2 per plug because they suggested it and i have 2 per plug growing. Even the end of the world American Survival seed pack is near 100 % germination.

I read a lot of bad shit but i have to remember something...i am now pretty good at sprouting a tougher seed. It took some time and practice but with my current method of best practices the germination rate is incredibly reliable.

Vegetables proved it !

And i just ordered for delivry...A compost tumbler bin. Red wigglers are moving on up.
End of every summer I reload my compost pile to breakdown over winter ready for the next season. 4 posts in the ground forming a square , some Chook mesh thrown around them and there’s my compost containment . Throw my lawn clippings , horse shit I get from the local stables and the fall leaves around my yard throw in a pack of worms and way it goes . I might if I feel motivated turn it a bit from time to time or throw in our veggie scraps whatever and 6 months later it’s plant food gold 👍.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
My compost pile is just an area away from the house, far enough that the flies and smell aren't an issue. Just keep tossing stuff on it and turn it every once in a while.
Yeah the flies have been my only complaint in the process because they laid eggs in the horse manure and hatched sending an influx of flies around the yard . Can’t complain too much though if that’s the worst of it

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yeah the flies have been my only complaint in the process because they laid eggs in the horse manure and hatched sending an influx of flies around the yard . Can’t complain too much though if that’s the worst of it
I have loose soil near, and when I toss a bunch of scraps in I cover it over. There's lots of coffee grounds in there too. Flies are no worse than an outdoor garbage can around mine.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I changed my mind and built an additon to the side yard garden. Direct sun from 8 am until 5 PM and I wont forget to water it.

The entire area is now 24 x 4 feet.

It started with a cordless saw and a 2 x 4 and now im out of lumber and all fencing materials...except for my rapier wit wow bad dad one.

A lot is in pots so i an see how big they get and adjust where i put them. Next year i might put a couple of smaller beds on the other side for climbers to go on the fence but i think this will keep me busy...and in 30 to 45 days its non stop.

I will put asparagus out in the shady spot. It takes a while to develop and its a good spot for it !

I am going to bungie the door for now and add hinges later. But its pretty nice. My wife will be blown away that was a bunch of shitty flowers before! (I moved them to out front under the tree which is turning into quote the perrenial garden).

DSCF5579.JPG
DSCF5580.JPG
3 tomatos and lettuce, chard, carrots
DSCF5581.JPG
Peas, a bean, a tomato and a pepper. Rows of beets and turnip
DSCF5583.JPG
Summer and winter squashes
DSCF5582.JPG
Lots of summer squash plants that grow in a bush, potato mounds and roses and cucumbers in there somewhere. The tote is that light fluffy soil and i will sow some carrots in here and see how they grow. I might do carrots this way forever if it works.
DSCF5584.JPG
The girls are loving the spot...the soil and eerything. Very happy.
LOL That is a Mat Sundin hockey stick..#13...He was more like that Offspring song....he asked for a 13 and they drew a 31.

We hates him we do.

DSCF5585.JPG

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
I changed my mind and built an additon to the side yard garden. Direct sun from 8 am until 5 PM and I wont forget to water it.

It started with a cordless saw and a 2 x 4 and now im out of lumber and all fencing materials...except for my rapier wit wow bad dad one.

A lot is in pots so i an see how big they get and adjust where i put them. Next year i might put a couple of smaller beds on the other side for climbers to go on the fence but i think this will keep me busy...and in 30 to 45 days its non stop.

I will put asparagus out in the shady spot. It takes a while to develop and its a good spot for it !

I am going to bungie the door for now and add hinges later. But its pretty nice. My wife will be blown away that was a bunch of shitty flowers before! (I moved them to out front under the tree which is turning into quote the perrenial garden).

View attachment 60543
View attachment 60542
View attachment 60541
View attachment 60539
View attachment 60540
Lots of summer squash plants that grow in a bush, potato mounds and roses and cucumbers in there somewhere. The tote is that light fluffy soil and i will sow some carrots in here and see how they grow. I might do carrots this way forever if it works.
View attachment 60538
LOL That is a Mat Sundin hockey stick..#13...He was more like that Offspring song....he asked for a 13 and they drew a 31.

We hates him we do.

View attachment 60537
Right so I gotta ask does asparagus like part shade ? If so no wonder I’ve been shit at growing it .

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Wow thats involved eh....it likes full sun.

with seeds you have to sex them and plant the males in the fall. Males produce more aspargus because they are not making seeds.

I will pass on the asparagrass. My full sun places are full up

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Wow thats involved eh....it likes full sun.

with seeds you have to sex them and plant the males in the fall. Males produce more aspargus because they are not making seeds.

I will pass on the asparagrass. My full sun places are full up
Just trying to get a few tips . I’ve tried growing it many times and it’s just sat dormant and done nothing when everything else is booming . Thanks mate 👍

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL

View attachment 60543
View attachment 60542
View attachment 60541
View attachment 60539
View attachment 60540
View attachment 60538

We hates him we do.

View attachment 60537
Looking good!

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Obviously............the mafia is controlling the market price on watering cans :D

Peas are finally moving and starting to flower, there's a bunch of them out there ;) Popped 1 sweet potato slip in every pot. Arugala, chard, spinach and radishes are in the pots now..............they will finish while the sweet potato grows. Keeps the pots in production spring to frost.

Peas, some chives, some crimson clover. Btw the chives and clover both make stunning cut flowers that last.

snowpeas.JPG