Vegetable Gardens ??

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
LOL.../that's MAY type weather in my 'hood...... and still too early to put plants outside. I'm @ 7100 ft elevation with snow covered peaks looming over head that hold snow into July..... and cold air sinks...yes..it does.
I have to know, what gardening zone are you in? Snow in July? Jesus. I saw a flurry yesterday and had to call 3 people because i was so shocked. Shit like that doesn't happen in the south man so I'm adjusting to a new climate. Interestingly enough, I moved about 700 miles north but I'm somehow in the same zone? I'm not complaining, just questioning the logic.

Anyway, so i did move and i lost a few of my garden plants. We dug up all of my true lilies and brought them with us so I still have those. @socaljoe sent me some chocolate habanero seeds and some jumbo jalapeno seeds as well I'm actually going to start today. I don't have much yard space so I'll probably be putting them in 1 gallon fabric pots when they're ready.

I'm going to miss my kentucky colonel Spearmint and my strawberries but I'll get more. This year I'm just doing my peppers though. I'll live vicariously through all of your vegetable gardens.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I just got my seeds today...but wow that is great. There was one strain they didnt have so they replaced a summer squash i ordered (a 24 pack) with a 100 pack of an organic yellow summer squash. Works for me,
100 packs of winter squash too.

For the price i am very impressed. And i accidently ordered 4 GIANT packs of sweet peas and they figured it out and modified the order so i received only 1. Veseys seeds did a fantastic job. All packs are a good size and i have years of planting ahead of me.

Next year i will expand things by pulling every one of the stupid rose bushes out and moving some giant peonies i have. Then i can get 2 more raised beds in. :) OMG the purple punch clone is already bonkers. I think it has to go in a raised bed or its going to root ball in a 25. :D

The original seeds i ordered will probably show up tomorrow. Now i dont care what they subbed out i have it all covered. I just need some lettuces and melons to round off the 2020 covid gardens collection (winter hoarder edition).

All the mason jars will have pickles and not weed this fall..vac sealer to the rescue!.

DSCF5333.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
God i love raised beds. I'm going to have to build new ones once i figure out where the hell to put them 😂. What is the depth on those, 2 feet?
Here's mine. I have woodchucks and rabbits, so the fence is to keep them honest. .22LR to enforce it :)
IMG_7489.JPG
The raised bed part only has about 6" of store-bought soil in it. Last year the tomatoes were just in cloth pots on the ground, and grew into the soil through the pots. This year I gave them a good layer of medium to get that started. All my used weed-soil is in the pots for all the plants.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I woke up at midnight due to my guts....gardened and harvested a couple. Went back to bed after my wife left for work at 5:15 and when I got up we had snow on the ground. WTF.

I know its Canada but holy shit we are way south of most of Wisconsin. Covid summer needs to show up !.

May 24 is the rule here man....Queen Victoria and my old mans birthday...plant things earlier at your peril.

I will because i built domes too. And that damned runt seed that i found in a recycle bin...that little prick survived every frost since last year and its still trucking...and its a strain slot machine.

Of all the shit i have done for covid...when i got those veg seeds it made everything better. And I have time on my hands...as you stoke your garden it takes less time to keep the flame.

Today i am building 3 new sets of dog stairs so my fat pug can get on every sofa and bed she wants. She is using the prototype i made for mom in law...this one is going to be NEW and IMPROVED !

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I got that freeze/snow crap too. Veggies survived but I had a bunch of impatiens out that are frozen toast now. Jeeze, that's 3 months shot to shit! lol...hey, farming is DEATH! but it's life too.

On the upside..........I had 1.4 lbs of trim in the freezer and made some decent bubble hash.

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
Here's mine. I have woodchucks and rabbits, so the fence is to keep them honest. .22LR to enforce it :)
View attachment 58266
The raised bed part only has about 6" of store-bought soil in it. Last year the tomatoes were just in cloth pots on the ground, and grew into the soil through the pots. This year I gave them a good layer of medium to get that started. All my used weed-soil is in the pots for all the plants.
That is an awesome set-up. If i had more room i would have built about 4 of those in a row. Much easier than digging in that rocky ground.

At least you get to recycle your soil and build up the bed. Do you eat the rabbits? I've never eaten rabbit but my boyfriend says it is delicious.

Do you feel the 6 inches of soil is deep enough? Mine were about 10 or so.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
View attachment 58266
It is really nice man ! Geeze man i need some fresh thyme always too! I think it is my favorite actual herb.

cilantro is soapy poison ! (for the record).

I am watching the final snow melt...my purple punch is going in a flower bed on Wednesday. Seeds are sprouting and i am going to get some of the craziest organic peppers and tomatos i can find...black purple stuff like that.

I am chomping at the bit to have my first actual vegtable garden in my life...i started with weed 5 years ago and now its time to shift to food...one day i will make a squash with THC...a guy can dream...until then we decarb hash into the butter and ....same thing !

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That is an awesome set-up. If i had more room i would have built about 4 of those in a row. Much easier than digging in that rocky ground.

At least you get to recycle your soil and build up the bed. Do you eat the rabbits? I've never eaten rabbit but my boyfriend says it is delicious.

Do you feel the 6 inches of soil is deep enough? Mine were about 10 or so.
I have all harwdoods, and really nice topsoil from all the mulch. That area there has been weeds and undergrowth for a while, to the top is clay. But I have boulders. It would flat out MURDER a tiller. Roots can grow through and around rocks all by themselves.

So I bought a topsoil that said "raised bed" but had organic nutes and mycho's in it. Really peat heavy, so it drains well enough not to wash out through the cracks. Just enough to get the roots that make it through the pot a good start.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It is really nice man !
Geeze man i need some fresh thyme always too! I think it is my favorite actual herb.
That one got "mowed" just before the first frost last year, then shoved in a corner and covered with leaves until spring. We have spring early here LOL
cilantro is soapy poison ! (for the record).
Must have for salsa. Which is a must have for tacos. Suck tailpipe my man! You got that one wrong! :ROFLMAO:
I am watching the final snow melt...my purple punch is going in a flower bed on Wednesday. Seeds are sprouting and i am going to get some of the craziest organic peppers and tomatos i can find...black purple stuff like that.
They actually had a decent selection at the store this year Pink Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Black Prince, etc. I got one of each :sneaky:
I am chomping at the bit to have my first actual vegtable garden in my life...i started with weed 5 years ago and now its time to shift to food...one day i will make a squash with THC...a guy can dream...until then we decarb hash into the butter and ....same thing !
I have local farmers markets that are great, and I don't have much room. One thing I can never have too much of is tomatoes. And that is the one thing you cannot get at the store (that taste worth a damn) and at the farmers market they charge top dollar - because they know LOL

I'd work on the weed-cilantro before the squash - might be easier :ROFLMAO: