Vegetable Gardens ??

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I am going to need more supports. tomato cages are going to be too small for the tomato plants so i will hunt around for more hockey sticks.

My neighbors kid was in the juniors and he gave me a bunch. Or I will have to get some. I might just get 8 foot 2 x 2s and sharpen and hammer them in. I have never had a garden go so bonkers. My shade plants just started showing. Beets turnips and potatos all popped up.

I was wrong about the summer squash. I think i have 6 or 7 of those plants going. And there are little yellow squash coming out all over the place. And once you start picking them BOOM !

The 25 litre pots (6.5 gallon) were a perfect size for the squash too. They will grow 6 to 12 squash at a time on each planter no problem. Those autopots are good for something !

View attachment 62096
Gardening and swimming today. It was 76 at the crack of dawn...it will hit 82 today for sure.

I can goes to my right....i can goes to my left, im whatcha call amphibious (I believe that was the Shaq)
View attachment 62095View attachment 62094View attachment 62097

:)
Those tomato cages work great for everything but tomatoes, lol. Rebar for the win.......mason yard has 20' lengths and will cut in 3 for me (well at least used to do that) but they pound in perfect and last forever.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I was lazy with my garden this yea, started late, and just tilled it before planting because the soil looked and felt great. Now I'm regretting that because the plants don't look happy at all. I did a soil test this morning and it looks like it is pretty depleted of N and K is a little on the low side. Looks like I'm going to need to do some fertilizing this weekend.
What are you using to test the NPK of the soil?

Do you do cover crops? Tilling that in pays off. Easy to do no till also.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
But I have been watching the leaves like with weed. if they start losing their green I'll add fertilizer. Usually need some right as they start producing fruit.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This is my kind of gardening. No effort, planning, caretaking, just pick. 6" tray
IMG_8276.JPG
I've been getting about a pint in the morning, and a pint in the evening, but we had some rain and they are juicier today. might be a quart.
But it tops off this 2lb5oz coffee can in the freezer
IMG_8278.JPG
I picked a quart yesterday and made BBQ sauce with it. or BBBBQ sauce. Turned out pretty good. I also took a quart and cooked them down with a cup of sugar and some water, then sieved it and reduced the liquid down to a thin suryp, then froze it. This might be the method for the rest of it just to use all year. You can vacuum-seal the cubes in bags so they don't get that frost layer on them. IMG_8279.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I actually drink the coffee. I eat the grounds after...

I think that starting with the ice cube storage I can still do any of that later, might even be easier to do a small batch as needed.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's a few pics of the fruiting progress
Only one of these is "almost full" the rest are still paper lanterns with grape-size tomatillos inside. Need to investigate when to harvest them or what to look for. But the other 4 plants are just now closing up some little pollenated flowers.
IMG_8281.JPG
IMG_8282.JPGIMG_8283.JPGIMG_8284.JPG

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Free tomato plants!

Time to make some tomato cuts from the sucker growth. I always leave the first sucker on the plant, it produces well, but the rest of them get cut. I let them grow a bit first, a 12-16 inch sucker works well. I keep a jug filled with water in the garden and when I cut the sucker I put it in there. It can sit for a week or better, no problem.

the cut (Mark Twain)
suckertomatocut.jpg

It goes in here. Theres 3 or 4 in there now
suckertomatocut3.jpg

I then pound a rebar into the ground to make a long deep hole. I wallow the rebar around a bit to make the hole slightly bigger than the cut.
suckertomatocut5.jpg
suckertomatocut4.jpg

Then I put the cut in as deep as I can, and water. I don't fill around the stalk, I let the water do it. The long skinny slightly oversized hole is your friend and these generally root close to 100%. I just put a few in and it's the hottest day this year, no worries. Just keep them wet for a few days.
You can see a bunch of white bumps on the stalk and those will root from there all along while in the hole. I buried this right up to the branch I left on.
suckertomatocut6.jpg

suckertomatocu2.jpg

I can make these for about a1 to 1 1/2 months. and I'll harvest Sept and Oct. These plants will be more vibrant than the original crop in the fall and you'll get a good harvest. :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I trimmed no suckers, but I have the main stalks trained and the first few suckers. After that, if they get unruly I snip them.
IMG_8308.JPG
The yo-yo's was a medium to bad idea. They are great for keeping just enough tension on them during veg, but they don't support the weight well. I locked them, but they slip. Now I need to replace them with a section of twine...
The tree in the foreground is a tomatillo. Lots of flowers, no fruit yet.
IMG_8309.JPG
sky and trees :ROFLMAO:
IMG_8305.JPG
And this is my George Washington white oak. 12' circumference at about chest high, and that's an 18' tall pole-shed under it. The smaller one near it had grape vines growing up it when I moved in, and lost all the lower limbs because they got smothered and died. Chopping all those tree-killer vines was the first thing I did 2 years ago - still trying to clean it up.
IMG_8307.JPG

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I trimmed no suckers, but I have the main stalks trained and the first few suckers. After that, if they get unruly I snip them.
View attachment 62514
The yo-yo's was a medium to bad idea. They are great for keeping just enough tension on them during veg, but they don't support the weight well. I locked them, but they slip. Now I need to replace them with a section of twine...
The tree in the foreground is a tomatillo. Lots of flowers, no fruit yet.
View attachment 62515
sky and trees :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 62512
And this is my George Washington white oak. 12' circumference at about chest high, and that's an 18' tall pole-shed under it. The smaller one near it had grape vines growing up it when I moved in, and lost all the lower limbs because they got smothered and died. Chopping all those tree-killer vines was the first thing I did 2 years ago - still trying to clean it up.
View attachment 62513
The first sucker bears better than most sites above it, I figure them as competition any higher up the stalk. It is a little species dependent............kinda like topping. If I top that Mark Twain, that's it.....she stops. Would work great on your set up, I start training the tops after 6 foot but to the left or right, can't go too much higher.
That Principe Bergoff tomato I chose this year for sun drieds is new here and definitely an indica. This thing is branching like a mofo, lots of flowers. Prudnens Purple is new and quite a grower as well. I got hundreds of actual fruit out there I can see now. :)

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
@Ozjet68 The cabbage worms have now shown up.............so I just harvested all my broccoli leaves for smoothies, chips, whatever. :) Bastiges they are!

Just got a new NutriBullit RX for smoothies. This pup blows away the ole Osterizor blender, OMG. Made an apple, broccoli leaf, ginger smoothie w/ apple juice and.........

Sheer Nectar! (my highest rating)

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
@Ozjet68 The cabbage worms have now shown up.............so I just harvested all my broccoli leaves for smoothies, chips, whatever. :) Bastiges they are!

Just got a new NutriBullit RX for smoothies. This pup blows away the ole Osterizor blender, OMG. Made an apple, broccoli leaf, ginger smoothie w/ apple juice and.........

Sheer Nectar! (my highest rating)
It’s funny how close and opposite in sync our seasons are . Our Cabbage moths laying eggs vanished a couple weeks ago when winter really set in knocking them on there ass. I never would have thought of using Broccoli leaves in smoothies but it makes sense and be a great gut cleanse. I reckon the wife would be all over that 👍

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
I remember seeing a gardening show on TV where they mentioned Cabbage moths are actually territorial 😂 . Imagine seeing a pissed Cabbage moth charging at you with horns lowered . Anyway they said because of this fact you can actually buy moths or butterflies attached to a wire on a solar powered rotator that will deter other moths from your patch. I thought what a load of bullshit but sure enough after searching good old Ebay I found fly by wire kamikaze moths .

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Day-lilies are still putting out new flowers every few days.
IMG_8336.JPG
And I found a new blackberry patch. The original is petering out. Fat berries but less of them. easier to pick though. The new patch is heavily shaded, and WIERD! I am calling them birds nest berries. There are lots of them and they are just turning.
IMG_8332.JPGIMG_8333.JPG
I saw them earlier and figured they were "larf" and wouldn't amount to anything
IMG_8334.JPG
But after seeing a few start turning I cleared a path to them Here's a few of the biggest from the other bushes, and the average berry on the new plants.
IMG_8329.JPG

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
It’s funny how close and opposite in sync our seasons are . Our Cabbage moths laying eggs vanished a couple weeks ago when winter really set in knocking them on there ass. I never would have thought of using Broccoli leaves in smoothies but it makes sense and be a great gut cleanse. I reckon the wife would be all over that 👍
The leaves are more nutritious than Kale, fwiw. Great in an omelette too. Very nice flavor.

Just started new rounds of Komatsuna and chard for the blender stash. Slugs are hammering my chard though.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The first sucker bears better than most sites above it, I figure them as competition any higher up the stalk. It is a little species dependent............kinda like topping. If I top that Mark Twain, that's it.....she stops. Would work great on your set up, I start training the tops after 6 foot but to the left or right, can't go too much higher.
That Principe Bergoff tomato I chose this year for sun drieds is new here and definitely an indica. This thing is branching like a mofo, lots of flowers. Prudnens Purple is new and quite a grower as well. I got hundreds of actual fruit out there I can see now. :)
I guess I go by strain kind of. I have the main stalk up the middle, and the first two suckers out to the sides. Above that, when they start growing out if they get a foot or so long with no flower sites I snip them. Otherwise I'll train them too and eventually have an overhead canopy.