Vegetable Gardens ??

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have some strawberries on year two this year that I am doing nothing with. they are putting out the occasional berry, but creepers too. Next year I will read @Big Perm 's post about how he got his going for production.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I'm seeing enough quantity to make it worth the time investment. But I have enough land that I have a few areas I am just letting go wild-ish. I got all the poison ivy, honey-suckle, briars, and other nasties, but let the rest go.

I am leaning towards just planting some good thornless berries in a different area. Raspberries are cool too, but I've never had luck with them.
I have some strawberries on year two this year that I am doing nothing with. they are putting out the occasional berry, but creepers too. Next year I will read @Big Perm 's post about how he got his going for production.
There are some nice thornless choices. was thinking about that myself.
My strawberries are a on year 4, I'm getting 3/4 solo cup a day full and that's over next week. I am hoping to make a bunch of babies and then make a new bed in the fall. I'll leave the old ones in place and plant tomatoes right thru them next year. I'll consider any strawberries harvested from the old ones as a bonus. You really only get two good years if you spring plant.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I am waiting for 6 or 8 with the squash.

Then I will do it like Lidya. Ciao Bella. Stuffed with cheese and fried.

I have 4 of these maybe 5. It is easy to grill and I like them

Not far from a feed of something

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Looks like I'll get my first tomato later today or tomorrow. I'll probably just go out there with a salt shaker for the first few 'harvests' :)
This was off a plant that the dearly departed woodchuck destroyed. All that was left was a few side sprouts, but it was a cherry tomato and those are pretty vigorous.
IMG_8137.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This is this morning's blackberries, and a couple of mulberry. The mulberry is almost done, and I had a quart of about 50/50 with blackberries.
Cup of sugar, pinch of salt, covered with water, then boiled it for a bit. Strained it and reduced it back to mostly berry juice. I was going to make syrup, but there would have been very little. Put a little in some water and it was like one of those "lightly flavored" water drinks.
IMG_8141.JPG
So I'll probably figure a way to use rum - maybe a daquiri ;)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
In general, everything seems on the verge of producing. I have peppers and tomatoes everywhere, just not ripe. I think that what I really need is one of those polycarbonate greenhouses to cover this whole area.
IMG_8138.JPG
Does anyone else use a hose timer? Any tips?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have wild flowers. There's a boulder under this mess that sticks up just high enough to make a mower-blade sing. 2 years ago I just started mowing around it. Never planted a thing.
IMG_8143.JPG
I don't know what these are
IMG_8146.JPG
but I have a whole patch of them by the blackberries. If anyone knows, speak up. If it's useful I have enough to mess with LOL.
Looks like there will be a few hundred in about a 20sqft area
IMG_8147.JPG
mmmmmmmmmmmm
IMG_8149.JPGIMG_8150.JPG
And I also have a ginormous (~16') weed with some leaves pushing 2' across. Another one for help identifying just out of curiosity.
IMG_8144.JPG

D

Deleted member 60

First shot is a day lily if that is what you were referencing. Second shot is, I believe, White Yarrow.

Dunno about that last one. Big plant...a lot like a Castor Bean plant in it;s size.

The gardens here are finally starting to awaken. I'm behind you guys across the board outside but we are on the verge of having tomatoes (Black Krim) in the GH and we have been chopping cucs like mad and making "refrigerator pickles". Peppers are blooming here/there.....strawberries just coming on. Trying to figure out if there's a Boron deficiency or what...berries aren't fattening fast like in the garden bed and are somewhat deformed. Lots of berries though. Like everything else here...they could also be needing more N....

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
First shot is a day lily if that is what you were referencing. Second shot is, I believe, White Yarrow.

Dunno about that last one. Big plant...a lot like a Castor Bean plant in it;s size.
First one I knew, second one spot on.
Third one not a Castor plant of any kind. Multi-lobed leaves and tending towards reddish. But the structure looks the same.
1592366428434.png

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I have wild flowers. There's a boulder under this mess that sticks up just high enough to make a mower-blade sing. 2 years ago I just started mowing around it. Never planted a thing.
View attachment 61904
View attachment 61906
but I have a whole patch of them by the blackberries. If anyone knows, speak up. If it's useful I have enough to mess with LOL.
View attachment 61909
mmmmmmmmmmmm
View attachment 61907View attachment 61908
And I also have a ginormous (~16') weed with some leaves pushing 2' across. Another one for help identifying just out of curiosity.
View attachment 61905
The thing with the white flower is Wild Carrot/ Queen Anne's Lace. Looks a lot like Yarrow and that would be my second guess. Either are good...........wild hemlock looks similar as well and is poisonous. Be glad it aint that one.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Found it
Supposedly this will grow into a tree, but it is hollow like bamboo and completely dried out and died last fall.
I cleared it all out and it came back new this year.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
They are awesome and surprisingly easy to use
I meant more about the timing for vegetables :)
I had it set for 30 minutes on, at 6am and 6pm. But I don't know if that 30 minutes was soaking them. I just changed it to once a day for an hour in the evening to see how that works.

I have my RO hooked up to a spare bathroom sink. Bought a simple mechanical timer for that and love it.

getting about a pint of blackberries per day now :)

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
View attachment 61904
View attachment 61906
View attachment 61909
mmmmmmmmmmmm
View attachment 61907View attachment 61908
View attachment 61905
I have a ton of day lilies (aka tiger lilies) in my yard. Every spring we break them up and transplant them all around the property so we have them growing everywhere. Are you in the New England area? Your pictures look like they could've been taken from my property ☺

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
In general, everything seems on the verge of producing. I have peppers and tomatoes everywhere, just not ripe. I think that what I really need is one of those polycarbonate greenhouses to cover this whole area.
View attachment 61877
Does anyone else use a hose timer? Any tips?
Check out "Wise Orchard". They make a WiFi hose timer that sells for $60 that you enter your garden size/type, soil makeup, and the type of irrigation you are using, and then it monitors the weather for your location and uses that (and the data you entered) to only water when needed. If you are familiar with how a Rachio controller works, Wise Orchard is basically a less expensive single zone version.