The Upward Spyral

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲πŸ”₯πŸ’¨
8/18/19 - UC RDWC Run #2
Against better judgment (because we love variety) we're running two strains again. Hopefully they won't be too different in height. Expanding to 6 sites so going to start things in the veg tote while we repair/clean/setup for the next run.
- 3x Punch Buggy aka Purple Crash (Heisenbeans)
- 3x Sunset Wedding (Heisenbeans)
- Each pack had one extra seed (thanks Heisen!)

Old ice tray came in handy. Added RO water to the magic beans and put on top of router. Next will be rapid rooters.
And we're off! πŸ‡

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲πŸ”₯πŸ’¨
Didn't want to clog up your thread @SoLowDoughLow but we were at BLowes today.

There will need to be something to make the lids on either one light proof. @yougrowyourway had a good idea, silver tape the lids. Maybe do this then cut the holes. @Jesselikes2Grow maybe your closed cell foam, cut to fit, or spray to mold where it won't flake off if the lid or net pots are removed?
My gf noticed that the wall of the Commander bucket was firmer than the Craftsman. The Craftsman was firm, but if you push against it with your fingertips, it gives a bit as opposed to the Commander, which had almost no give.
The lids had much more of a difference. The Commander had a little give, but the Craftsman almost felt spongy. It did have latches and the handle ridges were a bit studier, but we don't think it's worth it for $1 more and having less of a sturdy lid and bucket overall. The bucket stays steady so the handle ridges don't matter as much as the lid, where the heavy plants sit.
Let me know if you find that to be the same thing. I did forget to check the plastic type, I believe they're polypropylene (one of my favorite plastics, very sturdy and withstand multiple chemicals). Never hurts to do some proactive window shopping hands on research :)

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy

View attachment 19281

View attachment 19285

View attachment 19286

View attachment 19287

There will need to be something to make the lids on either one light proof. @yougrowyourway had a good idea, silver tape the lids. Maybe do this then cut the holes. @Jesselikes2Grow maybe your closed cell foam, cut to fit, or spray to mold where it won't flake off if the lid or net pots are removed?
My gf noticed that the wall of the Commander bucket was firmer than the Craftsman. The Craftsman was firm, but if you push against it with your fingertips, it gives a bit as opposed to the Commander, which had almost no give.
The lids had much more of a difference. The Commander had a little give, but the Craftsman almost felt spongy. It did have latches and the handle ridges were a bit studier, but we don't think it's worth it for $1 more and having less of a sturdy lid and bucket overall. The bucket stays steady so the handle ridges don't matter as much as the lid, where the heavy plants sit.
Let me know if you find that to be the same thing. I did forget to check the plastic type, I believe they're polypropylene (one of my favorite plastics, very sturdy and withstand multiple chemicals). Never hurts to do some proactive window shopping hands on research :)
I was at BLowes ( funny) the other day and found my new 12 gal reservoir. Mine was similar to the one one the left. Black bottom and yellow Top. I sprayed mine with a black enamel spray bomb. Took a couple of days to dry good but seems to be adhering well. Just another option for you block out the light.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲πŸ”₯πŸ’¨
I was at BLowes ( funny) the other day and found my new 12 gal reservoir. Mine was similar to the one one the left. Black bottom and yellow Top. I sprayed mine with a black enamel spray bomb. Took a couple of days to dry good but seems to be adhering well. Just another option for you block out the light.
Thanks Cap'n. I tried Black Krylon Fusion with a light sand on a yellow Commander lid and it peeled off :confused: I'm at home depot now which brand? Gotta touch up a different tote. Hopefully it won't just stick on the old paint then peel off.

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower

View attachment 19281

View attachment 19285

View attachment 19286

View attachment 19287

Thanks for the thorough review! Those commander buckets look pretty sweet.

There are so many different systems I wanna try! I want another RDWC and thought about using water falls this time instead of airstones. But I also wanna build a flood and drain lol. I don't think I'll stop til I try every method! πŸ˜‚

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Thanks Cap'n. I tried Black Krylon Fusion with a light sand on a yellow Commander lid and it peeled off :confused: I'm at home depot now which brand? Gotta touch up a different tote. Hopefully it won't just stick on the old paint then peel off.
Rust-oleum Professional High performance enamel . I just checked again and it has a very good grip. Tried scratching with my fingernail. I did not sand mine either

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Also says on the can fast drying but i felt like it took a few days to set good. I just left mine on top of the tote when i sprayed it. Probable should flip it over and spray the underside as well to eliminate any light penetration

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲πŸ”₯πŸ’¨
Thanks for the thorough review! Those commander buckets look pretty sweet.

There are so many different systems I wanna try! I want another RDWC and thought about using water falls this time instead of airstones. But I also wanna build a flood and drain lol. I don't think I'll stop til I try every method! πŸ˜‚
I'm right with ya man. Stay tuned...soon;)
How often and how much do you use h2o2 (any stire brand 2%?) And nothing else?

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
One other thing @spyralout if the first coat you put on is peeling off you can not paint over that. The tape would be a good option for that one maybe.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲πŸ”₯πŸ’¨
One of the Sunset Wedding seedlings looked a lot slower than the others
We gently lifted on it and it had a long tail but not planted in anything. Propped it up with a piece of RR. The top of the stem near the head is darker than the other seeds. Could this be damping off?

Immediately popped another SW. Can't take chances with timing. If they both make it then we'll put one in a single pot.

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
I'm right with ya man. Stay tuned...soon;)
How often and how much do you use h2o2 (any stire brand 2%?) And nothing else?
Yea, I use the diluted store brands. Although people advise using the food grade h202. But I didn't see that at the store so I started on this and haven't seen ill effects. I typically put 4 tsp. in my 5 gallon buckets every 3 or 4 days. Pretty much the same with my RDWC. And yep, that's it.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲πŸ”₯πŸ’¨
ECSD #2 - 7 day hang dry

Got tied up with life and let them hang a bit too long. Still not bad. Very sativa like structure. These plants were stressed multiple ways. Would be great to see them go for it with more space.

Shucked off leaves by hand. Used scissors only a few times. Had to get em in jars, will only fine trim if needed. Diesel, burnt rubber. Very motivating and productive with a "warp" to the vision. Drifts off into carefree until you hit it again.
Interesting, the Bridezilla has turned into a sleepy high for my gf after curing a couple weeks. It is still somewhat less of a downer for me, definitely not as up as ECSD.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲πŸ”₯πŸ’¨
Yea, I use the diluted store brands. Although people advise using the food grade h202. But I didn't see that at the store so I started on this and haven't seen ill effects. I typically put 4 tsp. in my 5 gallon buckets every 3 or 4 days. Pretty much the same with my RDWC. And yep, that's it.
Hmm I'm tempted at least for the other upcoming setups. How forgiving is it, do you go full on lab style or is there some play